Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #21
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527
Default Re: Beating NE in the playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im so sick of hearing this. it makes steelerfans sound ignorant.

who hasnt farrior beena ble to cover this season.

you know he is an ILB and not a CB, right?

how come the ravens didnt match him up on ray rice all night and burn us if he is so ineffective and he is so exploitable?

see anyone run on him lately?

seriously... some specific examples would be greatly appreciated, so i can see the light.
Well said! And I agree that making absurd comments about a player w/out any examples is getting old. During the Sunday night game, Farrior was all over the field! I saw him make a tackle by coming across the back field and taking down the runner (not making the tackle b/c the runner was on Farriors side). Even Collinsworth stated how Farrior just doesn't seem to age. Get a clue!

As for the purpose of this thread ... it would be great to have a late Christmas present by beating Brady into the ground during a playoff game on our way to the Super Bowl. Nothing would make us Steelers' fans happier I'm sure!

I think a main adjustment would be for our receivers to STOP dropping passes! It's happening every game. Yes, overall they are doing well and we are still managing to win most of our games. But the dropped passes, if caught, during the Cheatiots and Saints games could have made a huge difference. SO PLEASE CATCH THE BALL! Plus all the adjustments everyone else said.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #22
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
Does anyone else here think that Lebeau was playing possum that first NE game. We sat back and saw what they have. Super Bowls are won in the playoffs not regular season.

We just had a bad game vs NE. It Happens.

Farrior is having one of his best seasons, Ben (considering the O Line and his injuries) is playing well and winning.
Count me as one who thought that LeBeau was playing "possum" as you say. I don't think he really was but I would link to think it so as it gives me some hope for a win in a future matchup.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #23
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im so sick of hearing this. it makes steelerfans sound ignorant.

who hasnt farrior beena ble to cover this season.

you know he is an ILB and not a CB, right?

how come the ravens didnt match him up on ray rice all night and burn us if he is so ineffective and he is so exploitable?

see anyone run on him lately?

seriously... some specific examples would be greatly appreciated, so i can see the light.
You are correct on this. Farrior has played well and I don't remember any team taking advantage of him in the passing game. He's been solid and I think people are remembering a few blown coverages and missed tackles from last year.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

The ONLY way we will beat these guys in the playoffs is if we score early and often.....and pressure Brady. That was the recipe for beating the Colts back in 2005. IT is the only way to compete with that offense. Our defense cannot stop NE. They are built to beat the 3-4 and they have a QB perfect for it.

We will also need a perfect game out of our special teams. If the Pats have a short field we are done.

If we are able to get an early lead this will make our running game a factor and allow us to chew minutes off the clock.

The problem I see is so far this year our offense has not been able to consistently do anything. Ben does not look right (I thought this before his broken foot) We are out of sync offensively and its killing us. I have no faith that Arians can right the ship. His game plans are laughable. I think this is one of those years were we are the 2nd best team in the NFL. How many times has NE kept us out of a SB? GOD I hate that team.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #25
Quasar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7371

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
The ONLY way we will beat these guys in the playoffs is if we score early and often.....and pressure Brady. That was the recipe for beating the Colts back in 2005. IT is the only way to compete with that offense.
That Colts game in 2005 was competitive until Cowher called for an onside kick to start the 2nd half, which the Colts recovered. I remember thinking to myself that we could beat these guys in the playoffs. Sure enough, we did- and in their house.

All we have to do to beat the Patriots is execute: catch the passes, succeed at blitzing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
How many times has NE kept us out of a SB? GOD I hate that team.
3 times: 1996, 2001 and 2004 seasons.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #26
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Does anyone else here think that Lebeau was playing possum that first NE game. We sat back and saw what they have. Super Bowls are won in the playoffs not regular season.
The problem was not defense as much as offense. We couldn't do anything offensively until the Pats released the pressure. We scored 3 friggin' pts in 3 quarters and we were 20 points behind when the 4th quarter started.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #27
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
The problem was not defense as much as offense. We couldn't do anything offensively until the Pats released the pressure. We scored 3 friggin' pts in 3 quarters and we were 20 points behind when the 4th quarter started.
Our offense was awful that game, however, we sat back in a zone coverage, did not send any pressure and were picked apart to the tune of over 30 points and well over 300 yards passing, in fact it even opened up the running lanes against us. That is what I am referring to. We showed nothing on defense (possum). If we get the opportunity to lay them again it will be a different story.

However I have a very unusual prediction. The Ratbirds will get the 5 or 6 seed and be forced to lay NE in the Divisional round. Setting us up for AFC championship part 2 at Hienz field with us playing the Ratbirds.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #28
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:

However I have a very unusual prediction. The Ratbirds will get the 5 or 6 seed and be forced to lay NE in the Divisional round. Setting us up for AFC championship part 2 at Hienz field with us playing the Ratbirds.
It's not a prediction, it's a pipe dream. LOL
The Ratbirds beating the Pats at Gillette?!? Not a chance, unless Brady, Welker, Branch, Woodhead and Gronkowski don't play.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #29
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,465 Times in 1,095 Posts

This is just one of those games were the Jets didn't show up... we did it also... Patriots have used the SAME STRATEGY for 10 yrs... If the other teams have not figured them out BY NOW.... its their own fault.... God has no reward for a "sluggard"... Study these guys and then come with it.... simple....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #30
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

I have a strange feeling we're going to end up with the two teams that knocked us out of the playoffs in non-Super Bowl years; the Jags and Pats.
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote