Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2955
Default Double Forward Pass

I have been wondering about a weird play and if it would be legal in the NFL.

If a player throws a legal forward pass to a receiver (Ben to Ward), the receiver would obviously not be able to throw the ball forward again on the same play.

But what I have been thinking is about different deflections and how that factors into the equation. So Ben throws to Ward and it deflects past Ward to another receiver. I think we can all agree that this would be a legal play since Ward never had control of the ball it is not another forward pass.

So what would happen if a receiver catching the ball made sure he never completed the catch (jumping in the air, only standing on 1 leg) and then threw the ball forward. Would this still be legal if the receiver never made the catch?

I guess the deciding factor would be does a person throwing the ball forward count as a forward pass if the person does technically not have control of the ball.

I know this is out there but I have not been able to find any rules that would make this illegal or not. Thoughts?
SuzyPeppercorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Default Re: Double Forward Pass

Happens all the time on Hail Mary passes. I would say it's legal, just don't make it look obvious.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

What about the legality of catching a pass on one leg and then throwing the ball forward? The receiver technically wouldn't have control so would the "pass" be a forward pass?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

in SB9, Tarkenton had a forward pass batted (by Hollywood Bags?) backwards towards himself, which he caught behind the line-of-scrimmage, and he then threw another forward pass downfield, which (I recall?) was incomplete:
althought technically it should've been a penalty, because it was so unheard-of, and the 2nd pass fell to the ground, I believe it went as an incompletion
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
in SB9, Tarkenton had a forward pass batted (by Hollywood Bags?) backwards towards himself, which he caught behind the line-of-scrimmage, and he then threw another forward pass downfield, which (I recall?) was incomplete:
althought technically it should've been a penalty, because it was so unheard-of, and the 2nd pass fell to the ground, I believe it went as an incompletion
The 2nd pass would be illegal since there can only be 1 forward pass per play. However, the situation I am talking about, I am arguing that the 2nd pass would not technically be a pass since the receiver has not established possession of the ball.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts

very interesting. its probably not happened before (although in a college game last week a player jumped out of bounds and tipped an errant throw back to a teammate before he landed for an int.)

no matter what the rule is, im pretty sure the refs would screw it up either way.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
very interesting. its probably not happened before (although in a college game last week a player jumped out of bounds and tipped an errant throw back to a teammate before he landed for an int.)

no matter what the rule is, im pretty sure the refs would screw it up either way.
that play is exactly what got me thinking in this direction. I was thinking if he could bat the ball forward to his teammate since he didn't have possession, what would stop an offensive player doing the same thing.

I think it is really an interesting idea. Could you imagine a final play of a game where the team throws the ball to a receiver 20 yards down the field who is only standing on 1 leg. He waits for a few seconds and then throws the ball into the endzone!

I really think that this could be used in a desperation situation and it would be legal although highly controversial.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

This was part of the controversy surrounding the Immaculate Reception. (other than whether or not the ball hit the ground)

At the time, a ball could not touch an offensive player and then be deflected forward and caught. The question was whether Bradshaw's pass hit Frenchy Fuqua or not before Franco caught it, or whether it just hit the defender.

I'm not sure if the rule is still the same though.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

The ball was deflected backward during the Immaculate Reception so I think that is slightly different then the situation I am talking about but thank you for the input.

I like to think that the Immaculate Reception was legal in every way and that the ball never hit the ground, but I guess we will never know for sure.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyPeppercorn View Post
The ball was deflected backward during the Immaculate Reception so I think that is slightly different then the situation I am talking about but thank you for the input.

I like to think that the Immaculate Reception was legal in every way and that the ball never hit the ground, but I guess we will never know for sure.
You're right. I should turn in my Terrible Towel for that one.

It seems like the same rule would apply, but I've seen balls glance off one receiver's hands and into the arms of another receiver, and it not get flagged.

If I had to guess, I would say it's legal, but James Harrison would get fined for it.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote