Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default Re: Draft Day Predictions

A lot of people on here grilled me for "questioning" the Steelers FO.... quite the contrary actually... I trust the talent evaluation of the FO... I just hate to see them draft for need at the end of round 1 and make a stretch on guys....

Examples:
Jamaine Stephens was a late round 1 pick ..... the 6 OT selected
Chad Scott was a late round 1 pick.... the 5 DB selected
Troy Edwards was a early/middle round 1 pick... the 3rd and final WR taken in round 1
Deon Figures was the 4th and final DB selected late in round 1

Obviously a few exceptions...
Charles Johnson middle/late round 1 pick... the 1st WR taken (but very weak WR draft that year... only 2 or 3 WR taken in first 40-45 picks
Casey Hampton middle/late round 1 pick... the 5 DT selected (unbelievable DT class including Seymore, Hampton and a slew of other above average DT's

I just dont want to see them stretch for a need pick at the end of round 1... I want them to identify their guy and make a serious bid to go get him.

If it were up to me Holmes is the best WR in the draft and could experience a slight draft day slide... it happens every year... Most mock drafts have him going anywhere from 12-18... if pick 18 or 19 rolls around and Holmes is there I would have no problem whatsoever with the Steelers sacrificing a sizeable chunk of this years 10 picks or even a pick or two from the 07 draft to move up and get him

But if the Steelers traded up to the around pick 20 (give or take 5 slots in either direction) and selected a LB or a OL, I would be just as happy... because I trust their talent eval.

Look at the reccent history of Steelers players who were among the first at their repsected positions to be selected:

Faneca - 1st OG selected in 98
Burress - 2nd WR selected
Miller - 1st TE drafted in 05
Ben - 3rd QB in 04
Polamalu - 1st S taken

When the Steelers are able to get one of the first few guys selected by position their batting average is amazing.... love to see it happen in 06!!!!
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

As posted in the other thread, I think your putting way too much emphasis on this theory of having 10 drafts and can only keep 7 ..... I mean that is what camp is used for, to evaluate your talent and see who stays ....theoretically they COULD keep all 10, realisticly, they won't. In the draft, I think quanity is underestimated ..... Take a solid player that fits his position of a fourth rounder, then take a shot with another 4th rounder and draft a project, then draft the best athlete out there with your last 4th rounder .... I like that logic better than rolling the dice to move up a handful of spots to draft a higher 1st rounder ..... Where the Steelers are at right now, I think the more players they can get in and evaluate, the better off they are. They don't have a glaring gap right now, why not use these extra picks to groom a guy or find that hidden gem.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

Coach, you are picking out players that didnt work out, which there are some ... but as put in a previous post, there are many players that are starting now or did start that were picked up after the first two rounds as well. Is a crap shoot. In the first i dont really see a need in moving up any because all we are looking for is depth at so many positions that we really cant go wrong. There are so many players that would benifit this team that will be available in the first 2 rounds. The third round is where i would possibly see us moving up where the talent starts to get a little more thin and possibly giving up a 4th in order to do so if there is a player there that we really want.

The thing is, I dont know WHO the Steelers really want or if they feel there is an immediate need anywhere. Some thinlk WR, some RB, some LB, Some DB/S, and of course other OL. I really have no idea where they are goingto go which is a little different than recent years where they were definately targeting a certain position. I am sure if they feel there is one, they will do so as they have done in recent past.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

See how fluid the situation is, though? I was all over Mangold, now I'm laying off big time. I was thinking Holmes, but I'm hearing things about his ability to seperate that concern me.

I may be leaning towards a Safety in Rd 1 now, but I'm also hearing that Ryan Clark may actually be an upgrade over Hope because he's faster and has better tackling technique.

Back to Chad Jackson? Trade up and give away a pick (or 2 picks? Or a pick and a player?) for him? Then what? I really think that when you break it down, WR is the area with the most immediate need...but if you look at who the Steelers are looking at, it's RB's, G's OT's, Safety's and LB's, with only Demetrius Williams representing the WR position, but he's projected as a round 2 guy.

It's enough to drive a guy to drink!
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

"he's faster and has better tackling technique."

I knoweveryone has their own version on who and what we should do, but beause we are bringing back Logan and Stuvaints and signed Clark to a 4 year deal worth a lil bit of money.... i dont think we are going after the safety postion or else i think we would have just started Logan or Stuvaints and left clark alone. I have heard his tackling alone is much better than hope. Just as with about every position we have, we could pick one up for future but i think 1st round is too early with the addition of Clark. I am still going with DE/ LB ... Wr in second ( Stovall, Nance, or Marshall)
Old 04-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #16
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Actually, after thinking about it, reading some other threads plus all the mocks that are out there, it really shows how good of a position the Steelers have put themselves in. Not only are they coming off a Championship season, they have secured enough of the players off that same team that there are no giant, obvious glaring holes that need filled (well, I still think WR is a big ???).

Barring major injury, we should be good next year...REAL good.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,920 Times in 4,520 Posts

im liking the idea of a wr in the 2nd, 4th, and then m. robinson as a project right after that. with the thinking that these 3 picks increase youre odds of finding a gem without giving them away and trading up for a wr in the 1st. i think 1 wr and m. robinson would both make the roster adding significant depth and 2 special teams players.

special teams and quality back-ups may be our greatest need this offseason. as suit stated we have the luxory of taking the best player on the board with the 1st pick (and it may even be a wr) and slowly bringing him along like troy, ike, haggans or porter.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 04-10-2006 at 07:46 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #18
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

yeah, I agree with you Tony and for those reasons I would not mind seeing Moss drafted with that #1 spot, it would not only help the WR core but should be a boost to the special teams as well.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,920 Times in 4,520 Posts

at this point if it was between moss, mangold, or carpenter, i think i wouldnt mind seeing one of the latter 2 drafted and sitting on them for a year or 2. both would help either fill future departures or be a barganing chip in future negotiations. a wr just helps fill an immediate need (moreso on special teams) that i feel can be adressed in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds. i cant see a rookie wr contributing more than heath miller did last year. heath will have an even bigger impact if needed. they just need to write in and call the plays for him. kc has a killer passing game without even 1 wr of wards calibur.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #20
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

If Moss is our best WR we can do, i would rather just stick with Wilson and go with what we got. I think Stovall or nance or marshall would would be a much better choice... take a player like J. Hester ( U) in the 4th WR/ CB SP 4.3 speed. I am just not high on Moss for a number 1 pick at WR. I think is much better value on the board than him and can get a better WR in 2nd IMO. =)