Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #21
BigDude66687
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 904
Default Re: Draft Day Predictions

I'm thinking Brad Smith would be a much better project if you can get the nonsense out of his head that he's a qb cause he's damn fast and runs well with the ball.

Not real sold on the top end of the WideOut class, i think that we'll sit tight maybe draft Nance of Stovall in the 2nd, Safety shouldnt be a big concern Clark by all accounts will be an improvement of Hope, we could always use depth at the lines, but I think Carpenter will be our first rounder to replace porter who will not be resigned unless he takes a lot less than market value
BigDude66687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #22
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Food for thought:
This late draft gem or "diamond in the rough" that many are wanting to spend a handful of middle/late round picks on to try and get.... a couple things to think about.
1. This is where the Steelers seperate themselves from many other NFL teams... the Steelers FO is just better at it than most - finding players mostly from middle/late rounds and turning them into starters in the future.
2. Most of the success stories we have in finding these "gems" did not contribute, other than special teams, until usually around their 3rd season.
3. So in order to see a big return on these late round steals, you have to stash them in the middle of your depth chart and give them time to mature and learn the pro game.... we cant stash too many of them with a nearly full roster.
Example - Hines Ward is a perenial pro bowler and he didnt contribute significantly in the passing game for a couple seasons.... It takes time.
4. So we wont know for sure by the end of camp who we "stole".
5. Hell, we have guys on the team right now who have not been starters in the NFL and we all love em and cant wait to see them get a shot as a starter (Kiesel, McFadden, Willie last year, etc)
6. The point is it takes time, like multiple seasons, to see a real return on late round steals (Kiesel is the perfect example).... even more to the point, usually you dont really know if they are a steal until much later on in their career.
7. Cowher doesnt like playing youngsters much anyway.... Troy P is arguably the best defender in the league and he couldnt sniff minutes when our safeties were lee flowers and mike logan!!!!!

We are going to have a hard time finding roster spots for all of the new late round gems those to develop a couple years.

I agree with Suit, I feel that WR is the one position where the hole in our depth chart lies closest to the starters.... Lee Mays, Nate Washington, Eugene Baker, Quincy Morgan, Walter Young... these are our only options to replace either of our starting WR's if an injury occured (and obviously in three WR sets)....

The nicest thing about our offensive production last year was not individual players specifically.... it was the balance of all our players production.... It helps our running game to have multiple passing options.... it helped a rookie TE in heath miller last year when he always had two legitimate threats at the WR position playing around him... I think we benefit way way more by adding a NFL ready WR, more than any other position on the field

The only WR that I see worthy of a round 1 selection is Holmes....
- Moss is not a good fit... he's got "the U" attitude & Rosenhaus as an agent
- Jackson scares me cause Florida WR's are not exactly proven commodities
- These are really only the three potential round 1 WR's
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #23
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I'd trade up for Santonio Holmes.

We already spent $8 million + in signing bonuses at this position last year. I'm curious what we'd have to spend on a signing bonus for another receiver like Holmes.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #24
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

i really hope we dont make that mistake and take a WR with first pick.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #25
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I've already changed my mind on Holmes, but may change it back again...I will say this.

If Ward were to get hurt, our starting WR's would be:
Cedric Wilson
Quincy Morgan
Nate Washington
Lee Mays
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #26
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I read where some scouts are saying that Carpenter may be a better pro than Hawk, although you can always find someone to go against the grain