Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts
Default Harbaugh Hypocrisy On Helmet To Helmet Fines

After our friend bobby jr weighed in on how John Harbaugh coaches proper tackling, John Harbaugh took this shot during a pre-game NBC interview with Bob Costas

“Going helmet-to-helmet or shoulder-to-helmet against defenseless players is no longer part of the game. There’s no question in my mind that our team has figured it out, most of the league has figured it out, and shortly everybody will figure it out,” Harbaugh said.

“It’s not that hard to figure out. You’ve got to respect each other. And I think that player safety is really important. And if you have enough respect for the guy you’re playing against, you’ll adhere to that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-his-players/

That was pretty clearly a shot at the Steelers.

Of course that was followed by McClain's brutal helmet to helmet hit on Heath Miller, which the refs missed - the league office did not after Collinsworth raised hell about the hit when it happened and imposed a $40K fine

Now we hear this from the sanctimonious Coach Harbaugh

“I was shocked," Harbaugh said tonight on his weekly radio program. "He’s a first-time offender. Jameel,there was nothing he can do. I think the league understands that. I can’t imagine why they fined him so much.

"Jameel tried to go low. He did everything humanly possible to hit the tight end low. You fine a guy $40,000 for trying to apply the rule. He tried to do something that’s against the rule of physics. I say you're taking someone's money unfairly."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...medium=twitter

Sort of like when James Harrison hit Massaquoi in the Cleveland game?

What a tool
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Harbaugh Hypocrisy On Helmet To Helmet Fines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
"Jameel tried to go low. He did everything humanly possible to hit the tight end low. You fine a guy $40,000 for trying to apply the rule. He tried to do something thatís against the rule of physics. I say you're taking someone's money unfairly."[/I]

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...medium=twitter

Sort of like when James Harrison hit Massaquoi in the Cleveland game?

What a tool
You can't have it both ways coach.....

It's funny that once the rule gets used against you it doesn't make sense. Being the coach of the Ravens it might have been wise to stay quiet or objective (as Suggs). I didn't think Harrison should have been fined for his hit on Massaquoi and I don't agree with the fines on the ratbirds.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

But when Harrison does it, it somehow lies within the law of physics and it's strictly his fault. Yea makes perfect sense <== Insert sarcasm here]
Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I was pissed when I watched his hollier than thou interview before the game. Now, seeing this is laughable. What a tool. First offernder.... Whatever......Sounds like a whiny baby when someone on his team gets caught.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

If the hit wasn't so blatantly vicious and Miller didn't have his head snap back in abnormal fashion and sustain a concussion then he wouldn't have been fined as much

This is just like a fender bender vs. totaling your car. It doesn't matter if its your first time or not, totaling your car is going to cost you more, and either case will make a future accident cost more. If he was a repeat offender like Harrison he would have been fined a lot more than 40K. In live action I'll admit it didn't look to bad, although it was clearly helmet to helmet, but the replay makes it look like a miracle Heath was able to get up and walk away from it and not need to be carted off in spinal/neck braces.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that any player that knocks another player out of a game with a concussion on an obviously illegal hit like this should be ejected/suspended from games as long as the injured player isn't cleared to play. Screw fines and even penalties, that will surely stop the illegal hits if the NFL is so serious about it.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Harbaugh, once again proving why he's the biggest asshole to coach a football team in the NFL.

I won't believe in karma until this douchebag coaches a losing season.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Mr. "We gave it away" needs to wake the (bleep) up to his bullcrap. Troy TOOK it away. And Isaac Redman finished it...
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

Something about this idiot always rubbed me the wrong way. I get why now. He's a -insert expletive-
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

He's always come across as a huge jerk to me even before I heard about his pre-game comments. And I know all of here hate the Cowboys by and large but he made a similiar snarky comment about them last year. Remember because a friend of mine who is a Boys fan told me about it. He's a classic do as I say but as I do type. And I just heard about him getting mad at Ravens' fans who have questioned the play calling basically telling them to find another team to root for.
GMU Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post
If the hit wasn't so blatantly vicious and Miller didn't have his head snap back in abnormal fashion and sustain a concussion then he wouldn't have been fined as much

That being said, I'm of the opinion that any player that knocks another player out of a game with a concussion on an obviously illegal hit like this should be ejected/suspended from games as long as the injured player isn't cleared to play. Screw fines and even penalties, that will surely stop the illegal hits if the NFL is so serious about it.
I believe in the saying "Watch what you wish for"

The game is so fast it's hard to say what McClain saw.

Did he know Miller was going to drop down?
Did he know the ball wasn't caught?

IMHO these things can be said on many hits that have been highlights for us! Clark, Ward, Harrison and Polamalu have hit guys really hard at one point or another and I hate to see it taken away. Other then Meriweather's hit on Heap I will never back this BS.