Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers report: Inside slant

Steelers report: Inside slant
The Sports Xchange
Dec. 9, 2010

The Steelers received more good news on their injury front Thursday when Flozell Adams returned to practice at his usual spot, right tackle.

Adams, signed by Pittsburgh as a free agent the past summer when starter Willie Colon tore an Achilles tendon working out in June, has started every game this season and it looks as though he will start No. 13 Sunday against Cincinnati.

Adams left last Sunday night's game in Baltimore with a mild high ankle sprain. He did not practice Wednesday.

"He's persevered through it and he's not 100 percent but he's a tough old pro," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It's good to have him back out there."

The Steelers have started eight different offensive linemen this season and besides Colon, their starting left tackle, Max Starks, is on injured reserve. Arians and rookie Maurkice Pouncey are the only linemen who have not missed a start. Another newcomer this year, Jonathan Scott, has moved in to start at left tackle. He was signed as a free agent from Buffalo.

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu is the only starter still in place from last season. He has missed one game with a sprained ankle. Ramon Foster moved into the starting right guard spot Nov. 21, replacing Trai Essex for competitive reasons. The Steelers have started three different right guards.

--Ben Roethlisberger has weathered a sex scandal in March, a four-game suspension to start the season, catcalls from opposing crowds, late and largely unpenalized hits from opponents, a broken foot, a broken nose and now the continued slights from Terrell Owens.

And he's getting the last laugh so far.

Owens, who called Roethlisberger "soft" on his Versus television show last month, scoffed this week at the quarterback's broken nose, injured when smacked in the face by Baltimore's Haloti Ngata Sunday night.

Wrote Owens on Twitter this week: i've played w/2 screws & a plate n my ankle and a broken leg! And tht ws a severe injury! A broken nose??? Puh-lease! Lmao!

Roethlisberger laughed about being called "soft" on TV by Owens: "I'm glad I could get ratings for him."

But it's no laughing matter about what kind of beating Roethlisberger has been taking. He's been hit late without one roughing-the-passer penalty called on an opponent for doing so this season. That included the nose-mauling by Ngata and two other hits, one in which Terrell Suggs kept grabbing Roethlisberger's helmet Sunday night.

At practice on Wednesday, Roethlisberger wore a protective shield for the first time ever for his nose and walked in the locker room with a boot to keep his broken right foot stable. He wears an oversized shoe with two metal plates.

He has kept his sense of humor, saying Penguins owner and legend "Mario Lemieux told me I finally look like a hockey player."

Roethlisberger already had some metal plates inserted in his head following his infamous motorcycle crash in June 2006, when he also broke his nose. He escaped this time with just the broken nose and there were no complications to the repairs done on his face four years ago.

"They said everything looked really good," Roethlisberger said. "I did a CT scan before the surgery and they said everything was still holding up really well and they were really pleased with that. It was just my nose. (The surgeon) said he got in there and he said the nose bones looked like cornflakes. I was like, that's good. The plates and everything in my face were fine, so that's good."

Roethlisberger referred back to Owens' comment when he was asked how he's managed to play so well while injured during his career.

He said, "I guess I'm soft or something, I don't know. I just want to play the game. There wasn't any question if I was going back in. Just like today and practice, I asked the trainers, is there any chance of this getting worse if I practice today and they said no. And I said then I'm practicing.

"I just want to win games and try to win championships."

Since serving his four-game suspension to start the season, Roethlisberger has not missed a snap.

I hope they know I want to be out there no matter what," he said of his teammates. "I'll fight through anything. For me it's just about being out there with those guys, I'm not going to let a bloody nose keep me out of a game if it doesn't have to."

SERIES HISTORY
81st meeting, Steelers lead series, 48-32, with a 26-14 record in Pittsburgh. The Steelers won the first meeting in Cincinnati 27-21 Nov. 8 after the Bengals swept the series last season for the first time since 1998. The Steelers had won the five games previous to that. The series began in 1970 when the Steelers joined the AFC and the two have shared the same division, Central and North, since.

Steelers report: Strategy and personnel
The Sports Xchange
Dec. 9, 2010
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/r...-and-personnel

The Steelers signed former Penn State punter Jeremy Kapinos after trying out three of them at Heinz Field Tuesday. He will replace Daniel Sepulveda, who will have his third surgery to repair a torn ACL on Friday.

PLAYER NOTES

--TE Heath Miller did not practice for the second straight day Thursday and it appears he will not play on Sunday. He left last week's game in Baltimore with a severe concussion. It will be the first game Miller has missed this season and only the second in his career.

--TE Matt Spaeth, who will start for Heath Miller, has not caught many passes in his four-year NFL career -- 32, including just five this season -- after winning the Mackey Award in 2006 and after setting a University of Minnesota record with 109 career receptions. However, when he filled in for an injured Miller for two games in 2008 he caught 12 passes.

--DE Aaron Smith will not return for the regular season. The Steelers are hoping he can play in the post-season. Smith had surgery to repair a torn triceps after an injury Oct. 24 in Miami.

--SS Troy Polamalu did not practice again on either Wednesday or Thursday but is expected to start on Sunday. Polamalu has missed two practices in each of the past three weeks but has not missed a game.

--QB Ben Roethlisberger removed his big protective boot on his broken right foot he has been wearing around the locker room and everywhere else but on the field. Roethlisberger reports his foot feels better but he will still wear the oversized shoe with two metal plates on Sunday.

GAME PLAN
Pittsburgh had trouble stopping Cincinnati's passing attack in their first meeting Nov. 8 when the Bengals scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and came within one play of upsetting the Steelers. Carson Palmer had 248 yards and two TDs. They will play more nickel and dime defenses Sunday. On offense, the Steelers believe they can run and throw on the Bengals but hope to take some pressure off their injured quarterback by running effectively early in the game, getting a lead and staying with it.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH
Steelers beleaguered CB Bryant McFadden vs. Bengals WR Terrell Owens, who caught 10 for 141 and two TDs in the first meeting, mostly against McFadden.

Bengals MLB Dhani Jones, the team's top tackler with 122, vs. Steelers rushing game that has been on the decline.

Bengals weak pass rush (14 sacks) vs. weak Steelers offensive line that may be without starting RT Flozell Adams.

INJURY IMPACT
TE Heath Miller (concussion) and RT Flozell Adams (high ankle sprain) may not play for the first time this season. Matt Spaeth would replace Miller and Trai Essex is the likely starter if Adams can't go. Everyone else will play, including QB Ben Roethlisberger (broken foot and nose) and S Troy Polamalu, who has started despite problems with an Achilles the past three games.

Steelers report: Notes, quotes
The Sports Xchange
Dec. 9, 2010
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/r...t-notes-quotes

--The Steelers begin a three-game home stretch Sunday, all sellouts, which will bring the number of home sellouts to 301 since the streak began on Nov. 5, 1972 against the Bengals.

--Several Steelers believe Ravens guard Chris Chester tried to injure linebacker James Harrison when he fired out toward his knee on an extra-point try and was penalized five yards for a false start Sunday night.

"Of course it was deliberate," Harrison said. "There's no way that happens on an extra point because (offensive linemen) don't shoot out. It's obvious it was blatant. It was on purpose."

"It was a dirty play," said linebacker James Farrior.

--The Steelers can lock up a playoff spot this weekend but their main goal is to win the division and gain the No. 2 seed in the AFC. They have blown just one division lead in their history over the final month of the season, in 1990.

BY THE NUMBERS
24 -- Years since the Steelers last had three straight home games in the regular season in 1986. Sunday is their first of three straight at Heinz Field.

QUOTE TO NOTE
"I'm not ready to have a quarter talk. It's Tuesday of the Cincinnati Bengals. They swept us a year ago. They celebrated pretty nicely on our field the second time they beat us. That's my focus." -- Mike Tomlin on his thoughts as the team enters the final quarter of the regular se
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: Steelers report: Inside slant

lol @ Terrell Owens calling someone else soft..

"That's my quarterback "
Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,810 Times in 3,693 Posts
Default Re: Steelers report: Inside slant

Quote:
He said, "I guess I'm soft or something, I don't know. I just want to play the game. There wasn't any question if I was going back in. Just like today and practice, I asked the trainers, is there any chance of this getting worse if I practice today and they said no. And I said then I'm practicing.

"I just want to win games and try to win championships."

Since serving his four-game suspension to start the season, Roethlisberger has not missed a snap.

I hope they know I want to be out there no matter what," he said of his teammates. "I'll fight through anything. For me it's just about being out there with those guys, I'm not going to let a bloody nose keep me out of a game if it doesn't have to."
i sure hope hines ward doesnt call out heath miller if he doesnt play this weekend. after all, all he has is a little ol concussion.