Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Not to be Outdone by Seal Killing Cannucks...

US now considering killing Sea Lions.

http://www.katu.com/stories/84756.html

Days may be numbered for problem sea lions
April 3, 2006
- By Brian Barker
and KATU.com Web Staff

BONNEVILLE DAM - Despite bombs, boats and rubber bullets, dozens of sea lions are continuing to kill salmon near the Bonneville Dam.
This month, biologists are trying one last time to scare off the problem sea lions, but if that doesn't work, they may try to kill them.
Online poll
Sea lions could kill as much as 10 percent of this spring's salmon run and biologists say if they cannot get the problem solved soon, the situation could get ugly.
The sea lions are just doing what comes naturally - finding a way to keep their bellies full.
The problem is that the salmon are disappearing. An estimated 8,000 salmon will be lost this spring at Bonneville Dam.
State wildlife officials are mounting an aggressive effort to scare the sea lions away from the dam. The effort is their last stab at solving the problem before they will have to consider killing the sea lions.

"The difficult part about it is we're trying to save the endangered salmon as they are going up past the dam, but you've got the Marine Mammal Protection Act that protects these marine mammals," says Bob Stansell, a Biologist with the Army Corps of Engineers.

The biggest violator is sea lion C-404. He has managed to penetrate the fish ladder at Bonneville Dam.
Biologists say there are nearly 1,000 other sea lions hunting salmon in the Columbia River and they could conceivably kill 10 percent of the fish that come through the dam.
If the sea lions cannot be scared off, Oregon's Fish and Wildlife Commission has already applied for a permit to kill some of the problem sea lions, like C-404.
Killing the sea lions would be a last resort, but the idea is certainly a controversial one.
"Because they're so cute," says tourist Kristin Zubel. "They're not hurting anybody and there should be plenty of fish to go around." The efforts to harass the sea lions enough to scare them away from Bonneville Dam will last through May.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992
Default Re: Not to be Outdone by Seal Killing Cannucks...

well, i for one could eat 10% less Salmon Sushi so that we dont have to let Cheney and Rumsfeld plan a Sea Lion invasion.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Why don't they just tell the sea lions that there is a very bad sea lion down stream and he has to be taken out of power. We can tell them that he has wmd's (weapons of mammal destruction), but in fact we are after the fish oil! That sure will distract them for awhile!

The whole time we can load up on the fish oil!

sounds like a better plan to me.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

but first we must convince the Sea Lions that they can take out the bad Sea Lion with just a minimal amount of Sea Lions and that hardly any Sea Lions will get hurt and that the Sea Lions that the bad Sea Lion is ruling over will open the invading Sea Lions with open arms and throw roses and fish at them.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,648 Posts

maybe the navy should go in with their nuclear powered "clubs" *da dum dum*

actually i got a better idea, we should just nuke a bunch of people and lower the demand for fish, that way the nice little hungry seals can go about their way of eating and entertaining us at sea world, and in the circus and zoo. darn little critters are funny.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 04-06-2006 at 06:21 PM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,284 Times in 1,403 Posts

sounds like a job for a pod of killer whales to me.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
sounds like a job for a pod of killer whales to me.
You think like the fisheries people out here. Seattle had a problem wiht some sea lions years ago a fish ladder and locks where Lake Washington flows into the Puget Sound. Just like at Bonneville, the sea lions were chowing on endangered salmon and steelhead. And they were getting real fat.

Lots of different things were tried once federal laws were changed to allow the fisheries workers to dsiturb the sea lions. Getting back to your orca comment, they actually brought in big fiberglass replicas of orcas and played orca hunting communications on underwater speakers.

They also tried explosives and other stuff to annoy the sea lions. Some were deported down to California. And they came back. But it was mostly one sea lion in particular that could not be turned away. He was named Herschel. They were talking about killing him, but he was given a third choice by the folks at Sea World, whee he still resides as far as I know.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

This is a great example of the nature of hyper-conservation...when the activists have created so many rules that they literally handcuff themselves. They can't make any move without messing up the pseudo-ecology they've already altered by meddling.

Sea World taking a Sea Lion in is NOT a compromise, since amusement parks haven't been allowed to capture marine mammals in years, laws courtesy of the same people who protect the Salmon from the protected Sea Lions, etc, etc...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
You think like the fisheries people out here. Seattle had a problem wiht some sea lions years ago a fish ladder and locks where Lake Washington flows into the Puget Sound. Just like at Bonneville, the sea lions were chowing on endangered salmon and steelhead. And they were getting real fat.

Lots of different things were tried once federal laws were changed to allow the fisheries workers to dsiturb the sea lions. Getting back to your orca comment, they actually brought in big fiberglass replicas of orcas and played orca hunting communications on underwater speakers.

They also tried explosives and other stuff to annoy the sea lions. Some were deported down to California. And they came back. But it was mostly one sea lion in particular that could not be turned away. He was named Herschel. They were talking about killing him, but he was given a third choice by the folks at Sea World, whee he still resides as far as I know.
you mean the fiberglass orcas didnt work? more proof most people are more stupid than sea lions. you know how many people the movie jaws scared? people to this day who will never step in the ocean?

8000 of these particular fish
1-2 million(maybe?) sea lions
6.2 billion people.

yeah killing the sea lions is the answer. what does sea lion taste like? chicken?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Yeah, the Marine Mammal Act is impossible to enforce to the letter. It says yo cannot intentionally approach any marine mammal within 100 yards. So any time you go into a prot and there are seals or sea lions sunning themselves on a jetty, you are in violation.

I think they might have changed a law to allow some fisherman to shoot sea lions that are messing with their nets. It was controversial and I don't knwo how that turned out.
Fisherman have been shooting them for decades though.

Once I was leading a kayak trip and someone had hung a sea lion of an old piling at the end of a bay. I am not against a nuisance sea lion being killed here or there, but that was downright creepy to think of who would have gone to the trouble to lynch a sea lion.