Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default First-round bye critical to Smith's return

First-round bye critical to Smith's return
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_713414.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 12, 2010

Today will show whether the Steelers paid more than just lip service last week to not taking a two-win team lightly.

Lose to the free-falling Bengals, and the Steelers squander the considerable gains they made with their Bloody Sunday win in Baltimore.

As it stands now they hold a one-game lead in the AFC North over the Ravens, as well as the advantage in key tiebreakers.

If the Steelers can protect their home field -- and beat the teams they are supposed to -- over the last quarter of the season they will win a third division title in four years under coach Mike Tomlin.

They also figure to secure no worse than a No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

That would earn them a first-round bye and at least one playoff game at Heinz Field.

Just as significant to their hopes of making a run at a seventh Super Bowl title: it would buy extra time for injured defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith, who sustained a partially torn triceps in late October, has started lifting weights again.

That is a significant step in the recovery process that, by all accounts, has gone as well as could be expected.

It is, however, looking increasingly unlikely that the 34-year-old Smith will be back before the end of the regular season.

Pumping iron, after all, is one thing. Tangling with 300-plus pound offensive linemen and shedding the double teams that Smith encounters on a regular basis is quite another.

Giving Smith an extra week to strengthen his left arm would be huge for the 12th-year veteran and the Steelers.

In one of the many measures of how valuable Smith is to the Steelers, they have kept him on the 53-man roster even though there no guarantees -- even of Smith returning at all this season.

If he does make it back, it would be the equivalent of adding a Pro Bowl-caliber player to a defense that is stocked with them.

Now, it is up to the Steelers to take care of business on the field as Smith takes care of his away from it.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2010 by Trib Total Media, Inc.
Reproduction
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,338 Times in 4,293 Posts
Default Re: First-round bye critical to Smith's return

i agree it is important for the steelers to get a bye for the playoffs, but if they dont, they gan still give a. smith that same amount of time to heal by winning the wild card game.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
pittguy578
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15975

NFL Network did a profile on him. They basically said he is the most important person on the defense. No one can really block him. These were analysts/coaches from other teams. I think Ziggy is doing a good job, but you can't discount Aaron Smith's strength and experience.
pittguy578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Come playoff time our offense is going to need to win some games. I just don't see that happening. Our Defense, as great as it is, can not shut out NE. To beat NE we would have to put up some serious points.

we are not as good as our record indicates. Until Arians is replaced I just don't see us winning more then one playoff game.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

I am sure the steelers have the best doctors around
but I am thinking just let the old man rest this year and see if he can come back healthy for next year
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,004 Times in 3,348 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

no need to rush him back. ziggy is playing well
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
I am sure the steelers have the best doctors around
but I am thinking just let the old man rest this year and see if he can come back healthy for next year
This could be his last season. That may be another reason why they kept him off IR. Just too many injuries in recent seasons.. his body can't take it. Let's give the cowboy one last rodeo shall we?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
steelersalaska
Water Boy

Member Number: 7812

madtowndrunkard you are wrong. We will beat New England this next time. LeBeau has rediscovered the blitz attack. Our defense is now prepared to bang, bruise and slam lady brady. That beating will cause interceptions from the linebackers (any) and Troy. Chicago's D dropped at least three today because they pressured him. My intuition says Harrison will break him, send him to the side lines for the season.
steelersalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

He is sooo important....nobody can block the great Smith he takes up 3 blockers and still gets 12 sacks a year. We have not missed him a bit.This D is built to stop the run. Troy P is the only guy you can't replace.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
SacknificentStew56
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16658

I would love to have Smitty back on the field but there's no rush. I'm sure when they say he's lifting weights, he's pacing himself and not going too heavy. A bye would be lovely for us to rest up, hit the weights and film room hard. Ziggy is filling in great for him.
SacknificentStew56 is offline   Reply With Quote