Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182
Default Re: Sometimes I dont understand Steelers fans!!!!!!!!!

First off, i am a huge Steelers fan and i for the most part I love all Steelers fan just because they love th black and gold as much as i do. I dont agree with that late round picks are wasted picks.. Over the years we have had some major contributors to our team to late round picks, even if they were notPro Bowl players or starters such as ..

Perry, Bell, Flowers, Emmons, Roye, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, Townsend, Haggans, K Brown, Okobi, Bailey, Foote, Mays, haynes, Keisel, Nua, Kemoeatu, Wallace, St Pierre. A Smith, J Tueman,

All those may not be heavy contributors, but they have had or possibly could have impact in future and some of course, took off but when they took off, they took off because we just didnt have room for them and went to a diff team.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and i for one never knew that, Troy Edwards, A.Jackson, Burris, Stephens, Conley, Sheilds, Farris would not work out when first drafted. In the past, our first round picks have not always worked out no matter where drafted them... Since Cowher has had more influence and him and Colbert have been together, our drafts have worked out pretty well, but for awhile it seemed out best draft picks later.

I would not be opposed to the Steelers moving up at all, i just have no idea where they would and what they would be able to get. Could specualte to trade a 4th and a 5th to move up in 3rd or something... but with alot of our picks in later rounds... i dont know just how far we couold move up. There are plenty of draft charts out there that will tell who how many points each pick is worth ... I will throw one in for you after this post so you can see.

As pointed out in post earlier, i trust in what Cowher and Colbert and our F/A will do. We have managed to keep our key players compared to when we got raped before and we have stayed under the cap, and most importantly ... we have been winning and have one of the best winning percentages in the league over the past 5 years. Again, the hindsight is always 20/20 and looking back we could have moved up ... but for as many players that look good in the college game and dont do squat in the NFL... we have done pretty well as of late.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
I do not think anyone here has called you a "bad Steeler fan" since there are no "bad Steeler fans" I think the point they made is that the majoity of Steeler fans have put their faith in the Front Office as the FO has a proven track record. For all you say we do that is wrong, let me ask you this, "Why do the Steelers have 5 Superbowl championship trophys?" Do you think that the FO just may have done something right all these years? Of course there have been mistakes made, but the FO learns from their mistakes and they do not and will not EVER overpay a player. I think that is something that every Steeler fan realizes.......I mean why should they pay a big name to produce when the Steelers have a bunch of nobodies who play well together..........well enough to earn 5 Lombardi trophies.
Thank You Lyn. Much appreciated.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

Here is link to draft value chart ....

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft...valuechart.asp
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #14
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

couldnt agree with you more midnightwriter...

I really trust this Steelers FO when it comes to evaluating talent.... Colbert's record speaks for itself.... And you put more meat behind my point by bringing up all the busts of the past... it is a crapshoot on draft day every year.... the only way you increase your chances of getting a good player is identifying the guy you want and getting him just like they did with Troy.

There is no way the intelligent people within the Steelers front office identified Troy Edwards or Charles Johnson or Kris Farris or Jamaine Stephens and said "yep, thats our guy.... he is gonna make us better!!!".... Instead we got stuck with them through selection based on need alone...

Bad picks happen... for every team... but there is no excuse to walk out of this years draft without a couple of guys with impact potential... not with all the picks we have to play with
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Thanks for the link midnightwriter
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
Avoid Lloyd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1024

I agree that 10 rookies won't make this team.

However, I also don't see the point in trading up if there isn't someone there that we're really enamored with. Also, yes we have a lot of picks, but most of them are from the 3rd round and back, which don't amount to a whole lot of points to climb the charts with. We aren't going to jump from 32 to 15.

If someone that the Steelers want drops into the mid to late 20's then I definitely see a trade occurring. But like I said, trading up just to do it is just as folly as staying with 10 picks.

I believe a move being made in the second round is more likely, but who knows. It all depends on who catches the FO's eye.
Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

You got to have faith in the FO. We don't know what the Steelers are going to do with their draft picks. They might keep them or trade them.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

Let's see... the Steelers are widely considered one of the best organizations on draft day. There is zero reason to be "active" when doing what we do has worked wonders over the last bunch of seasons.

Did you not hear that Kevin Colbert had 7, count 'em, SEVEN write in votes for NFL exec. of the year. That's unheard of.

I never understand why some fans feel the need to panic every draft day.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33
See, there they go. Saying I am not a good fan cause I question drafting 10 players for anywhere from 4 to 6 or 7 spots... thats b.s. Just because you win a Super Bowl doesnt mean every decision made is not aloud to be questioned.... look at some of our draft history starting with last year.... Fred Gibson in round four is a flat out terrible pick... in round 4!!!! Tai Essex in round 3... jury is still out but I doubt many of you look at him as a future starting left or right tackle... so what did that pick get you???? Not much. It is simple math people we cant keep 10 draft picks .... so lets trade up to increase the chance that they few guys we do get are guys with impact potential & lets avoid wasting picks

GO STEELERS
I have mentioned a number of times that we should TRY to package picks. First. There has to be a willing team to make a deal. Second. That team should be outside of our division and preferably outside the conference. So the list of potential trade partners becomes fairly limited since we pick last. (I think Arizona might be a team looking for extra picks this year)

If your contention is that players at this level are not worth drafting, then why would other teams want that junk either.

If we get two bonafide starters via the draft each year (on average) then we are doing very well.

For the record....

7th round: Brett Kiesel (again...7th round )
4th round: Larry Foote
5th round: Verron Hayes
5th round: Clark Haggans
4th round: Aaron Smith
4th round: Deshea Townsend
5th round: Jerame Tuman
5th round: Chukky Okobi
6th round: Chris Kemoeatu (out on a limb here but I think he'll be a contributor)

That is an impressive late round group.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #20
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Well, there are a bunch of reasons why we arent trading any of our picks. If we were to trade out 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th for a higher pick in the 2nd, according to a draft value chart, we'd only be able to move up to #57. With us being the Superbowl champs, all of our picks are bassically one round lower. In essence, our first rounder is the equivalent to a high second rounder, etc. Teams don't want alot of picks like that.

Another reason is because we have a great record in the later rounds. Yes, Noah Herron didn't stick around for a long time, but he did pretty decent with Green Bay, and they're bringing him back next year. Plus, you can't expect all of our rookies to contribute immediately. Another thing is Rian Wallace, he's an ILB, he's not behind Frazier, He's behind Kriewaldt, which he should be. When Farrior went down halfway through the season, it would have been suicide to put a 5th round rookie in to replace him. Give the draft a few years before you judge the talent we got in it.

So yea, not all of our picks are going to make the roster, but, knowing the steelers, do you really think they're gonna let anyone worthwhile get away? how many times has that happenend? The steelers will draft the players they want to, and probably a bunch of Rookie Free Agents, and when we don't sign back our fourth rounder and we do sign a RFA, don't judge too quickly, because the Steelers are normally pretty good at grading these things. Think, we signed Nate Washington instead of Gibson, and Washington ended up making a great catch, and breaking up a near interception against the Broncos. Do we know if Gibson could have done that? Not for sure, but I think the Steeler made the right choice, and I have faith they'll make the right choices this year too.