Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992
Default Re: Sometimes I dont understand Steelers fans!!!!!!!!!

No need to panic about the Steelers and drafting. If the draft built what they have, then they have proven they will be able to handle this situation. Another option a championship team with extra picks has is to trade out to keep the run going. On draft day, if you know another team is coveting a player you are in a position to grab with your 3rd round selection, you trade them your pick for a second rounder in 2007. This is what the Patriots did in 2003 when they traded their pick at #19 to the Ravens (Boller) for a second rounder (Eugene Wilson) and a 1st round pick the following year (Vince Wilfork). Later that draft they traded a 3rd round pick to Miami for a second round pick the following year. So the next year they had an extra pick in the 2nd round and traded it for Corey Dillon. The Steelers can use their extra picks to assess draft value as it is developing, target players they want, move up to get them, or use other teams desires to trade out to have higher picks in future years to remain great for years. It is no accident the Patriots and Steelers have been so successful and IMHO will continue to be so for the rest of the decade.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #22
Mr. Clean
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1156

A draft cannot be accurately judged for at least a couple of years. The Steelers have moved up in the draft - that's how they got Troy.

It depends on who is abailable, what the team's needs are, and even if a deal can be worked out.

The Steelers made a draft day deal in 1990 (Donahoe era) to draft Eric Green. They traded picks with the Cowboys who drafted Emmitt Smith. Sometimes it's better not to trade.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:30 AM   #23
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

I'll start by saying that this is a well written thread by coachspeak33. I know that some of you have somewhat criticized him for questioning the Steelers front office but I respect his right to question some of the decisions of past. After all, the Steelers front office isn't right all of the time. I'm sure that we've all questioned a move or two but overall we're thrilled with our organization from top to bottom.

After reading the thread I believe that coachspeak33 answered his own question. He refers to a majority of our draft picks as being "meaningless". I agree, but the Steelers aren't the only NFL team who's in tune with the fact that late round draft picks are "typically" meaningless thus explaining why the Steelers will not be able to bundle up an assortment of draft picks and trade them for anything of significance.

I refer to 5th through 7th round draft picks as "Rudy picks". During these rounds most NFL teams are simply drafting athletic and warm bodies to be used as live bait during training camp. I know, I know, every now and then a late round draft choice surpasses all expectations, makes the final roster and contributes to the team.

During the Tom Donahoe tenure, the Steelers missed on many 1st round draft selections but found gems in the later rounds. After the Donahoe departure the Steelers are hitting BIG in the early rounds and finding duds in the later rounds. The latter is far more acceptable by me and I'm sure that we all can agree on that. After all, shopping for a gem with our late round "meaningless" picks and coming up empty is an easier pill to swallow than coming up empty with our very-valuable 1st round selection.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #24
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

You can't count on any pick being a sure thing, maybe the first 5. After that it is a crapshoot!! IMO the Steelers have done well in the draft with the late round selections mentioned before hand. So maybe it is better to have more picks because you never know what round you will get a keeper in. I for one will gladly drink the BlacknGold Iron City Koolaid because it is hard to argue with our team's success!!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #25
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

I wasnt knockin Steelers football... nor was I saying that the players taken in late rounds were meaningless... I was simply pointing out that they all cant/wont make this team... hence some of the picks no matter who we take are meaningless because they wont wear the black and gold (not enough roster spots)... I am not trying to re-invent the wheel ... it happens every year.

I know its only one pick but how did drafting Fred Gibson, in the fourth round, only to cut him help this team?

And if you package a few picks like the one we've spent on:
Nathan Adibi
Alonzo Jackson
Mathias Nkwenti
Danny Farmer to move up as many spots as you can to get the guy you want (like they did with Troy)

I like 95% percent of our roster.... ummm we just won the Super Bowl... No need in my opinion to make wholesale changes (this includes adding 10 rookies to the roster... just think it would benefit this club to focus their efforts on filling the very few need spots we have with the highest value possible.

some posters on here think we should take as many late rounders to increase our chances of getting lucky with one of them... that is another way to go... No harm no foul.

"I am not paid for my disposition"
-Gregg Lloyd
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #26
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

I believe most all Steeler fans welcome questioning, at the same time I believe most all Steeler fans are very happy with the results the FO has produced.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #27
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

From the 2005 53 man roster, the Steelers don't have

Jerome Bettis
Chris Hope
Mike Logan
Tommy Maddox
Sean Morey
Antwaan Randle El
Russell Stuvaints
Kimo von Oelhoffen
Willie Williams

They added

Rodney Bailey
Ryan Clark

Which means at least 7 spots up for grabs and 10 picks (and who knows about which guys from the practice squad will be around). And considering the Steelers don't have any major free agents to worry about next year, they will have at least 17 draft picks. I think the Steelers will package up some draft picks to move up in the draft if they see the player(s) they really want.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #28
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

It would make sense if they did that Petesburgh
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #29
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

Logan and Stuvaints will be back
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #30
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

"It is both humorous and pathetic to hear the Browns fans around here talk about the decision making of the Browns front office. Right after they explain how the Browns are "headed in the right direction" with their "best off-season in years" I explain to them that they say that every single year and follow that by asking them how the kool-aid tastes. Then I quickly thank God that I am a passionate fan of a classy, intelligent, and consistent franchise like few others in the NFL."

come on dude... phil savage and romeo crennel have shown great ability and deserve a little more respect. fans will always maintain a positive attitude towards their team... even intelligent fans are ALLOWED to feel this way when they know things aren't great. oh... by the way, "Bernie Bernie" by the bleacher bums, was awesome!!

"Takes the snap, drops back, looks down the field..

Brennan, breaks open, the victories sealed.."
j-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote