Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Offense needs to score TDs

Offense needs to score TDs
By Mike Prisuta -- WDVE-FM
Posted 28 minutes ago
http://www.steelers.com/news/article...7-359dfae4cb2f

The Steelers’ offense didn’t score a touchdown in Sunday’s 23-7 victory over the Bengals, but it did just about everything else.

“It’s funny because I had that talk with Charlie (Batch) and Byron (Leftwich) on the sideline,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “I felt like we did some good things offensively. We possessed the ball. I don’t know what the time was but it had to be pretty good. I think one drive we might have gone like 140 yards.

“Those things feel good, but it’s not good enough because we have to score points. Field goals aren’t good enough. Luckily, our defense bailed us out and played such a great game, and it was fun to watch them.”

The drive to which Roethlisberger referred didn’t quite cover 140 yards.

Officially, it went for 50, from the Steelers’ 18-yard line to the Bengals’ 32-yard line. It included 10-yard holding penalties assessed against offensive tackles Jonathan Scott and Flozell Adams and consecutive sacks of Roethlisberger after the Steelers had gotten as far as the Cincinnati 15-yard line.

It lasted 15 plays and consumed 9:21.

It ended with a punt.

For an offense that went 0-for-3 in the red zone, it was that kind of day.

“We drove the ball well,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “We just didn’t do well in the red zone. We’ll find a way to rectify it and get it done.

“We’re not proud of the way we performed in the red zone, but we’re proud of the win. When it comes to crunch time we’re going to have to start putting up touchdowns. Field goals won’t win it. But getting down there and the opportunities we had, I think we made some plays. We drove the length of the field almost all day.”

That long march to a punt at least helped the Steelers pile up time of possession advantages of 13:15-1:45 in the third quarter and 34:31-25:29 overall. The Steelers also outgained the Bengals (354-190), averaged 4.6 yards per carry on 27 rushes and converted almost 50 percent of their third downs (7-for-15, 47 percent).

They just didn’t score any offensive touchdowns.

Individual highlights included Roethlisberger again overcoming a fractured foot and a broken nose (he opened with a shield attached to his helmet but eventually discarded it), Ward piling up 115 yards receiving (his fourth 100-yard game of the season and the 29th of his career), and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El making a spectacular catch and running an option off a direct snap (the play ultimately resulted in a pitch to wide receiver Mike Wallace and a gain of 12).

Touchdowns or not, Roethlisberger and Ward emerged impressed with and thankful for one another once again.

Roethlisberger had this to say regarding Ward: “I could sit here and talk all day about the effort, the will to win and his determination, his toughness. But we’ve been seeing that for what, 15 years, however long he’s been playing? I take my hat off to him because he’s a warrior.”

Added Ward of Roethlisberger: “He’s a warrior. He’s a winner. He’s a proven winner. He’s our leader on the team. I don’t know if there’s enough praise I can give the guy. He’s a legitimate superstar in our league.”
Old 12-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643
Default Re: Offense needs to score TDs

Personally, I don't care how we win, JUST WIN!
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

This season is becoming more and more reminiscent of 2008. We struggles to score during the season and our Defense won us some ball games. Offensively we started to click as we got into the playoffs. However, with the problems we have with our OL I am not to optimistic of an offensive explosion.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Regardless of "it doesn't matter how we win, we win", the offense HAS to start scoring TD's, not a question about it.
The defense may give us 7, 14 points at best on a day like this.....but how the hell do you think we'll survive against a New England team that will put up at least 30, or Green Bay, or N.Orleans or any team that likely will score 30, 40 maybe more? NO way we can win playoffs or further without putting up considerable points on offense. No way.
I love our defense and they keep us in games and give us W's in low-scoring games, but we need to start scoring on offense and i'm not talking about FG's.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

"there are no touchdowns in my offense , never has been , never will be" ...Bruce Arians

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
caseydog
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1361
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
Personally, I don't care how we win, JUST WIN!
As I type this, New England is spanking a 9-3 team, 36 to 7. Do you remember New England. They spanked us a few weeks ago. We beat the 2-10 Bungholes without a single offensive touchdown. I'd like to see the Steelers beat the f-ing Patriots, not just hope we don't have to play them again. .

TOUCHDOWNS MATTER!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Chadmagic
Banned

Member Number: 17433

It's not the D's job to score. Their job is to keep the other team from scoring. It's the job of our offense to put points. So the D is having to do double duty and try to put points on the board. I'm glad they can do it don't get me wrong. But teams like NE will make you pay for jumping routes and blitzing.

Eventually the offense will have to show up. Or the playoffs will be one and done.
Chadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmagic View Post
It's not the D's job to score. Their job is to keep the other team from scoring. It's the job of our offense to put points. So the D is having to do double duty and try to put points on the board. I'm glad they can do it don't get me wrong. But teams like NE will make you pay for jumping routes and blitzing.

Eventually the offense will have to show up. Or the playoffs will be one and done.
exactly. And realistically, there's only so much points the D, even on a good day, is going to put up on the board.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Set-Man
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12795

We need our line to pull together for the playoffs, otherwise it will be a miserable.
Set-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

You wont beat the Patriots settling for field goals.