Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default About that Steelers' offense . . .

About that Steelers' offense . . .
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...elers-offense-
Monday, December 13, 2010 06:30 AM
Written by Bob Smizik

Itís not easy to possess the ball for more than 34 minutes against the woebegone Cincinnati Bengals and not score an offensive touchdown. But the Steelers managed that ignominious feat yesterday and it became front and center in any discussion about the team -- more so than the 23-7 victory, the 10-3 record and the superb defense.

The conventional wisdom is the offense is going to keep this team out of the Super Bowl. That could well be true.

There is no question the offense is the Steelers' weakness. The team is in the bottom quarter of the conference in offensive touchdowns and is markedly inept in the red zone.

It goes without saying that the blame for these woes is place by many, if not most, with the offensive coordinator, the widely maligned Bruce Arians. Pittsburgh fans in general and Steelers fan in particular are tough on offensive coordinators. From Tom Moore to Joe Walton to Kevin Gilbride to Arians, the Steelers offensive coordinator has been portrayed as a bumbling fool who never seems to call the right play.

I pay almost no attention to play-calling criticism. I simply do not have enough information in front of me to determine, in most cases, whether the call is the correct one or not. Many fans, however, donít need any information to make a determination. If the play doesnít work, they reason, itís the fault of the offensive coordinator. They never seem to take into consideration there are 11 professional players on the other side of the ball and it takes more than the right play call to defeat them.

No matter, that the play might have been the perfect call, but a failure to execute, possibly by just one player, blew it up. No matter, that the call might have been the right one but on this particular down the defense executed better than the offense. Nope, if the play doesnít work, the coordinator is an idiot. Itís that simple.

For a minute, letís remove the offensive coordinator from the conversation and discuss the offensive personnel of the Steelers. If the AFC Pro Bowl team were selected tomorrow, I feel pretty safe in saying no Steelers would be on it. The only ones to even be considered would be quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and wide receivers Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.

Roethlisberger would have a chance of making the team, but would rank behind Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers and in a category -- based on performance this season, which is how these things are decided -- with Matt Cassel, David Garard and Matt Schaub. At wide receiver, Ward is 21st in the conference in receptions and Wallace is 27th in receptions, first in yards per catch and sixth in yards per game. Neither would likely make it.

When you add to this what is looking more and more like an average running back in Rashard Mendenhall and a line that is substantially below standard and that should explain a lot of the inability of the offense to score.

However, In evaluating the offense and in evaluating Arians, few seem to take these highly relevant facts into account.

All that being said, the buck stops with Arians. The offense in not producing points and that is the clear bottom line for a coordinator.

Thereís a chance, perhaps a good one, that Tomlin will choose to remove Arians after this season, unless there is an unexpected upswing in touchdowns.

If thatís the case, the fans wonít have Arians to kick around any more.

Not to worry: The next guy will do just as well.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful
Default Re: About that Steelers' offense . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I pay almost no attention to play-calling criticism. I simply do not have enough information in front of me to determine, in most cases, whether the call is the correct one or not. Many fans, however, donít need any information to make a determination. If the play doesnít work, they reason, itís the fault of the offensive coordinator. They never seem to take into consideration there are 11 professional players on the other side of the ball and it takes more than the right play call to defeat them.
In other words, I don't understand football. I just get paid to pretend that I do.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069

Ugh, BA needs to let Ben call his own play callings
Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,050 Times in 788 Posts

Our Offense is one of the best in the league, because of the players. The Speedy Wallace, the Veteran Ward, the Rising "Cash" Brothers and the Hard Running Mendy and on top of that 2 time Super Bowl winning Quarterback. Even with a crappy O-Line we managed to move the ball pretty well. What needs to happen is more creative and spectacular plays. I'm fine with BA staying in the 'Burgh, but only if he can change his play calling. I really hope this is his last year.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

What about it?I did not even read article.Even I know what they are going to do before each play.BA NEEDS TO GO.I do not know why they dont mix in hurry up more often with Ben making the call,they have had good success with that.Makes me ill..........
Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,720 Times in 3,218 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

bruce 'do less with more' arians

bruce '1st and goal at the 1 = 3 points' arians
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Our Offense is one of the best in the league, because of the players. The Speedy Wallace, the Veteran Ward, the Rising "Cash" Brothers and the Hard Running Mendy and on top of that 2 time Super Bowl winning Quarterback. Even with a crappy O-Line we managed to move the ball pretty well. What needs to happen is more creative and spectacular plays. I'm fine with BA staying in the 'Burgh, but only if he can change his play calling. I really hope this is his last year.
If our offense was one of the best in the League, it wouldn't be in the 2nd half of the rankings.
It would score more than 6 friggin' pts at half-time and would manage to get at least, 2 TDs per game, especially against teams like Buffalo and Cincinnati. It would also not have 90 penalties in 13 games.
I'm not asking them to score 6TDs against the Jets like the Pats did, but geez, put some friggin' pts on the board and stop being called for false starts and holdings day in and day out, for Christ sakes!
Our offense is pathetic, and it's Arians and the players.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
If our offense was one of the best in the League, it wouldn't be in the 2nd half of the rankings.
It would score more than 6 friggin' pts at half-time and would manage to get at least, 2 TDs per game, especially against teams like Buffalo and Cincinnati. It would also not have 90 penalties in 13 games.
I'm not asking them to score 6TDs against the Jets like the Pats did, but geez, put some friggin' pts on the board and stop being called for false starts and holdings day in and day out, for Christ sakes!
Our offense is pathetic, and it's Arians and the players.
This week showed us how good Max Starks is for us......Ben is gettin Drilled......With Max back, and Willie Colon, and Pouncey gettin some more strength and experience, all we need is a left guard to have a totally revamped O-line From 05(Except Max)......These guys playing now are getting some crucial playing time that they never would have had if everyone was healthy, which will provide better fill ins when someone gets banged up down the road.............We are doing pretty good with what we got.........10-3?.....That is 2nd best in the league right now......

We lost Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington in consecutive years.......It will take some time for these Rookie receivers to get there routes and reads tight, and to get in sinc with Ben and the line.......It is up to Sanders and Brown on how much they want to study and get great.......It takes alot of work to get close to the level of the greats....Ask Jerry Rice........All in all we are a work in progress in there on game day..............Boy we really miss Max though.......

It would have been a whole different story with Heath in there sunday.....Ask Payton Manning how much he misses Dallas Clark........

Anybody see that shot Kemo put on Rivers when he pulled and kicked him out...... Deirdorf loved that hit.......Him and Madden would have talked about that hit for 10 minutes........
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by 879167
About that Steelers' offense . . .

[If that’s the case, the fans won’t have Arians to kick around any more.

Not to worry: The next guy will do just as well.

Nice opinion in your editorial Bob! So if the next guy will do just as well please tell us where the problem lies. Is it the head coach? I guess no matter how they work out you can say "I told you so".

Do your homework and give us some red zone stats. Show us how we stated taking a crap at the 20 when we ditched the fullback and went to this bad version of greatest show on turf. Lazy ass writers
Old 12-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Did he just call Mendy an average running back? What's he supposed to do.. there's usually instant penetration once he gets the handoff. Unless your name is Barry Sanders it's tough to get more than 3 yards per carry behind this O-Line of ours.