Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Polamalu issues apologies after game - JIM WEXELL

Polamalu issues apologies after game
http://tribune-democrat.com/prosport...ies-after-game
JIM WEXELL For The Tribune-Democrat The Tribune-Democrat Sun Dec 12, 2010, 11:11 PM EST

PITTSBURGH — On the field, Troy Polamalu was his usual self with two interceptions, one of which he returned for a game-changing touchdown.

In the locker room, Polamalu was also his usual self, bemoaning his mistakes, in particular a wild lateral while returning his second interception.

“First and foremost,” Polamalu started, “I want to apologize for that play at the end of the game. It was incredibly arrogant and selfish. I represent something bigger than myself – my faith, my family, and this team. I’ll try to never let that happen again. It was just a very arrogant play.”

(Wow Papa LeBeau must have really read him the riot act. - mesa)

But, he was asked, what about the touchdown?

“I don’t know,” he said in such a hushed tone that one would’ve thought the Steelers had lost to the Cincinnati Bengals instead of won 23-7.

“Let’s just focus on the negative,” he said before finally smiling.

As for the touchdown, well, ho hum.

“I know you guys can’t be surprised at what he does every week, because he does it every week,” said James Farrior. “We’ve come to expect it from him.”

It may not happen every week, but Polamalu’s on quite a roll. In the past four games, Polamalu has returned an interception 38 yards to snuff out an Oakland rally, recovered a fumble and later intercepted a pass at his goal line to hold off Buffalo, and in Baltimore his sack/forced fumble late in the fourth quarter turned the game around against the Ravens. Throw in his game-changing play Sunday against the Bengals and Polamalu is the common thread in the Steelers’ four-game win streak.

“I’m glad Troy is on my team,” said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. “No one is playing as good as Troy Polamalu in football right now.”

Polamalu’s first interception Sunday came out of a cover-2 shell. Bengals receiver Terrell Owens ran a skinny post that Polamalu jumped at the Cincinnati 45.

“In cover-2, it’s really hard for the safety to get underneath that play,” explained safety Will Allen. “A skinny post is designed to hit in between the linebacker and the safety. It’s designed to hit right behind the linebacker, so he just jumped it. And if you decide to go get the pick, you’d better get the pick.”

Polamalu got the pick off his old college roommate, Carson Palmer, and, as he had in 2004, Polamalu took aim at Palmer near the goal line.

“I wanted to see Troy bowl him over again,” said Farrior.

Palmer clipped Polamalu near the Cincinnati

5 and he needed to dive over the pylon for the tying touchdown.

Polamalu aggravated an ankle injury on the play but stayed in the game, albeit hobbled.

He wasn’t too hobbled, though, to read Palmer for the interception in the fourth quarter, his sixth of the season. Polamalu recklessly lateraled the ball, but it was recovered by teammate Bryant McFadden at the Pittsburgh 12.

“Troy was just trying to share the love a little bit,” said Brett Keisel. “He’s so used to having the spotlight I think he was trying to let someone else take it to the crib.”

A bit earlier in the fourth quarter, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was telling linebacker Larry Foote that Polamalu should win a second consecutive AFC Defensive Player of the Week award. Foote argued that the award should go to LaMarr Woodley.

“Then he got that second pick,” said Roethlisberger. “I looked at Foote and he said, “Co-Defensive Players of the Week.”

Polamalu would prefer the award go to the entire unit.

“I think our defense is playing good as a whole,” he said. “Whenever you get a good pass rush and whenever the D-line is stopping the run, we’re able to make a lot of plays on the back end.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default Re: Polamalu issues apologies after game - JIM WEXELL

Aww, I hate to see Troy apologizing for something like that, it makes me sad. Troy did nothing foolish or arrogant. No need to apologize Troy. Your still the best!!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserei90 View Post
Aww, I hate to see Troy apologizing for something like that, it makes me sad. Troy did nothing foolish or arrogant. No need to apologize Troy. Your still the best!!
Foolish yes, arrogant, not at all. And sop up the tears ... there's no place in football for crying.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Woodley played good but one of his sacks nobody even touched him. Troy has to get the award for his superman type plays!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
Foolish yes, arrogant, not at all. And sop up the tears ... there's no place in football for crying.
Sorry Just love me some Troy.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

That's just Troy being Troy. One of the most humble human beings on the planet. For him to come out and apologize after doing something great is a testament to his character not only as a player, but as a person. TROY FOR MVP!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Yea,Troy being Troy! I grew up in Carson,this city has the largest Samoan population anywhere,some say even more here than on the island!They are a wild bunch,ive even had my head knotted up by a few growing up.I wish they were all as nice as him!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

thats pretty gracious but he has nothing to apologize for. We should just be thanking him.
He can admit it was a bit dumb trying to lateral the ball and move on. No apology needed.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,472 Times in 2,325 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i'm just glad he didn't get hurt on that play. he took a big shot when he wasn't even looking and appeared to hobble off the field after it.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

We all Troy knew he didn't make a wise decision when LeBeau sternly grabbed his shoulder pad and said something...and not too much longer the cameras were on Troy looking for LeBeau. When he found him he put both arms around him and (probably apologized) and then LeBeau put his arms around Troy (probably forgave him). Either way Troy knew, Dick knew, Tomlin knew (and knew to stay out of it by the looks) the fans knew.... but the hug between the two at the end of the game showed the respect, encouragement and drive this defense and Dick have for and with each other.

It's ok Troy, I think I speak for a lot of Steeler Nation when I say - we forgive you!!!!!!
BengalDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote