Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Thumbs down Rooney: Steeler fans discriminated against last year

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_441131.html

President Art Rooney II said Steelers fans were victims of discrimination last season.

Opposing teams did all they could to keep Steelers fans out of their stadiums, Rooney said, whether it was forcing them to buy tickets for multiple games or by instructing their fans not to sell tickets to people in the 412 telephone area code.

Rooney broached the topic to other owners prior to the NFL's annual meeting last month in an effort to curtail these practices.

"We were not able to get it on the agenda, so I guess we will have to go through another year that Steelers fans will have to scramble to try to find tickets," Rooney said. "We submitted a resolution where we asked the league to consider not allowing teams to engage in some of the practices they were engaging in as we understood it last year, where they wouldn't sell to people calling from the 412 area code and trying to discern who the buyers were and discriminate against Steelers fans ...

"Obviously, they can market their own fans and put the effort out to get their own people in the building. But we just felt like, once they put the tickets on sale to the general public, they shouldn't be discriminating against Steelers fans."

With the Steelers coming off of a Super Bowl title, their powerful fan base likely will invade stadiums in Jacksonville, San Diego, Atlanta, Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore, Carolina and Cincinnati next season.

Rooney will continue to mention other teams' ticket-selling practices at league functions, even though it was not well received at the annual meeting.

"It wasn't received at all, so I guess that tells you something," Rooney said. "It can still come up at the May meeting. We will, obviously, push for that. It turned out that there was probably more on the agenda, and things took longer to get through at this last meeting than we expected. It wasn't the only resolution that didn't get considered. Maybe we will be able to get it considered when we go there in May."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Rooney: Steeler fans discriminated against last year

Its gonna be even worse this year, since we're the world champs. We'll be lucky to get seats in the nose bleed section at some games so it looks like we'll have to find alternative ways to get tickets. Send money to a fan in that area if you can and let them order your tickets, we have alot of SF members all over the country who can help us out cuz u know the ticket offices screen calls. So block your caller id when you call if you have too. Use a PO box, have the tickets mailed to a friend in the area, anything you can think of to keep the black n gold in the rival stadiums for away games !!!

The can gripe and complain but they cant keep us down !!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

I remember reading somewhere about opposing teams placing ads in local newspapers asking people not to sell tickets to Steeler fans. That they would have to do that is just sad.
Soon they'll be making ticket buyers sign contracts promising not to sell to us. Or offering discounts to fans of the home team. Aren't they embarassed by any of this??
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

I live in San Diego and there is a large Raider following and they pulled the same crap on Raider games where you had to buy 3 games worth of tickets in order to get Raider tickets. I think that should be resolved. If people are encourged not to sell to someone thats one thing, but ******* someone by making them buy tickets for games they dont care for is another. Besides, it doesnt matter. As you saw many times in the Indy game, Manning was signaling to the crowd to be quiet on those last drives and it was still loud because it was Steeler fans yelling. I have been in San Diego 10 years, I saw Qualcomm Stadium have an a$$ in every single seat only 3 times since I have been here. First was SB 32, second SB 37, and third, last years Pitt, SD game. I could not believe how full it was, I mean tickets were still being sold after the 1st quarter ended.

Steeler fans, Packer fans, and KC fans travel like college teams. The only thing that separates those three is that for some weird reason, Steeler fans are spread out EVERYWHERE. I mean, you can go to any town or city and Steeler fans are there.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Art II should just let it go and not bring it up again, although he says he will again in May. Steelers fans are everywhere and we'll get tickets one way or another...(lol). Let those opposing teams keep trying to keep us out of their stadiums. There is no stopping Steeler Nation!!! We shall prevail!
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Success has a price

As a Steeler fan it makes me livid.

But this IS America. And I would be a hipocrat if I were to suggest that we block this creative ticket packaging. Conversely, would it be better if Steeler fans were prohibited from attending the game.

Should anyone be entitled to attend a sporting event?

The Rooney's are rock solid. The fact that other fans don't inundate Heinz Field should be satisfactory.

Steeler football...now an international phenomenon.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
FisherMOM
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 982

They all discriminated against us out of FEAR!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
JoeyPorter#55
Water Boy

Member Number: 2186

31 other mother in' teams are scared of us!!! We brought the pain in the form of an eight-game winning streak, KO'd three top seeded AFC teams and held the NFL's highest scoring team to a d ning 10 points!!!!!

They all better be scared of the men from the proud hometown of Dennis Miller, Jeff Goldblum, and Bill Cowher......we are bringing the mother in' PAIN AGAIN!!!!!!!
JoeyPorter#55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
SID
Water Boy

Member Number: 2234

The best was last year when Mike Tice got mad at the amount of Steeler fans at the Metrodome, and said season ticket holders shouldn't sell there tickets . Meanwhile he's the guy that was fined $100,000 for scalping SB tickets.

SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

It will be twice as hard to get seats cuz we will be getting some infiltrated fans also! Turning colors, everyone wants to dress Black & Gold