Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Mr. Clean
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1156
Default Re: Rooney: Steeler fans discriminated against last year

I think that Dan Rooney should not have spoken up about this.

Making fans buy two additional game tickets just because they want to see the Steeler game is gouging, but the other team owners are within their rights to do it.

I don't see there being a lot of opportunity for Steeler fans to see out of town games this season. San Diego and Oakland are bound to pull the "buy the Steeler tickets, buy two more" stunt.
Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland and likely Baltimore will be sold out by the home folks, which leaves Charlotte.

Save the money for Miami in February.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
steelcityjameser
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
It will be twice as hard to get seats cuz we will be getting some infiltrated fans also! Turning colors, everyone wants to dress Black & Gold
the only drawback to winning it all. i don't live in the pittsburgh area but i am sure alot of bandwagoners will pop up in my area as well. i hate sellouts.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
It will be twice as hard to get seats cuz we will be getting some infiltrated fans also! Turning colors, everyone wants to dress Black & Gold
umm... not me... hehehehe...
j-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Discouraging Steeler fans from attending away games is stupid on their part, especially if those fans are traveling to that city to watch the game. Think of how much money we pump into their local economies when we come into town to watch a game. Hotel, food, etc. Ever hear of a city discouraging tourists? Me either. If a local fan goes to the game, he/she buys a ticket, a drink or two at the stadium, and goes home. Keeping us out is only costing their cities money.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #15
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe
Discouraging Steeler fans from attending away games is stupid on their part, especially if those fans are traveling to that city to watch the game. Think of how much money we pump into their local economies when we come into town to watch a game. Hotel, food, etc. Ever hear of a city discouraging tourists? Me either. If a local fan goes to the game, he/she buys a ticket, a drink or two at the stadium, and goes home. Keeping us out is only costing their cities money.
Look no further than Cincinnati. Hell, we have been helping that franchise for the last fifteen years with ticket sales.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #16
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_441131.html

President Art Rooney II said Steelers fans were victims of discrimination last season.

Opposing teams did all they could to keep Steelers fans out of their stadiums, Rooney said, whether it was forcing them to buy tickets for multiple games or by instructing their fans not to sell tickets to people in the 412 telephone area code.

Rooney broached the topic to other owners prior to the NFL's annual meeting last month in an effort to curtail these practices.

"We were not able to get it on the agenda, so I guess we will have to go through another year that Steelers fans will have to scramble to try to find tickets," Rooney said. "We submitted a resolution where we asked the league to consider not allowing teams to engage in some of the practices they were engaging in as we understood it last year, where they wouldn't sell to people calling from the 412 area code and trying to discern who the buyers were and discriminate against Steelers fans ...

"Obviously, they can market their own fans and put the effort out to get their own people in the building. But we just felt like, once they put the tickets on sale to the general public, they shouldn't be discriminating against Steelers fans."

With the Steelers coming off of a Super Bowl title, their powerful fan base likely will invade stadiums in Jacksonville, San Diego, Atlanta, Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore, Carolina and Cincinnati next season.

Rooney will continue to mention other teams' ticket-selling practices at league functions, even though it was not well received at the annual meeting.

"It wasn't received at all, so I guess that tells you something," Rooney said. "It can still come up at the May meeting. We will, obviously, push for that. It turned out that there was probably more on the agenda, and things took longer to get through at this last meeting than we expected. It wasn't the only resolution that didn't get considered. Maybe we will be able to get it considered when we go there in May."

This is to the fans of the other teams who to discriminate us.

Drop the discrimination acts when you sell your tickets, that's just a cheap way to cry to the nfl about us following our team. I was at the New Years Day game against Detroit this past year and we didn't give a shit about their fans coming to Pittsburgh since all they were doing was following their team like all the other fans of the NFL. Develop some class. I was a fan at the Penn State Pitt game back in 2000 that was at Three Rivers and NO ONE had a problem I was there and I was a Penn State Fan along with the others who came from West Central PA. Now is it a crime to have a classy fans in your stadium or do you want jackasses who are there only to stir up trouble and then have to have security guards clear a whole section of seating so that by the time the game reaches the 4th quarter all there is left in the stadium are the stadium Security guards and what's going on the field. and No I am not talking about the fans of the other teams who actually don't give a shit that fans from other teams who are in attendance and treat them the way they want to be treated. In fact those who act like classy fans toward the opposing teams should be commended for what they do. It can be an example to those who to discriminate towards the fans of the opposing teams.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #17
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055

SID, that video in your sig is hilarious!

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #18
SID
Water Boy

Member Number: 2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
SID, that video in your sig is hilarious!
Thanks, Palmer has the reflexes of a cat..........................a dead cat

Also I agree 83-Steelers-43, I think Steeler fans payed half of the bill for Heinz Field West oh I mean Paul Brown Stadium.

SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #19
Mr. Clean
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1156

There used to be an NFL rule that dictated that each team had to set aside a number of tickets for fans of the visiting team for purchase by their fans. I do not know if this rule is still in place. The Steelers had to do this as well. Tickets that were not purchased by fans of the visiting teams were then turned back to the Steelers for public sale. One could buy these tickets through the mail by sending in a check with an order form that you could cut out of the local newspaper. Groups also bought their tickets this way - when I lived in the DC area our Steeler fan club had a group that came to Pittsburgh for one game a year.

I do not know how other teams handle it, but one can bet ticket brokers will be making offers to buy tickets in Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, San Diego, Oakland, etc. so they can resell them to Steeler fans (at a big markup) and to groups that put together tour packages.

Hey, it's tough to get to a Steeler game whether or not you live in Pittsburgh. I haven't gone to a Steeler game since 1998.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #20
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

The other teams wish they had fans like us.
The season before last, we took over the Jags game, & set a record for attendance at that stadium. And I'll be there with my fellow black & gold bruthas & sistahs this season!

I just don't think the other teams have the loyalty & the balls to "take over" Heinz Field-it just aint gonna happen.

They can try to keep us out..but we are everywhere!