Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool You be the judge.

[YOUTUBE]631ADlRKBFY[/YOUTUBE]

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/08/r...control-on-ta/

The NFL's crackdown on helmet-to-helmet hits has drawn complaints for being arbitrary and unreasonable. Some players, most notably Troy Polamalu, have recently pointed out that it's also an example of dangerously autocratic power -- the league levies a fine, then serves as the judge if a player decides to appeal his decision.

But in the run-up to Monday night's game between the Steelers and the Bengals, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell further put the onus on defenders on tackles. Goodell explained that if a ball carrier ducks his head or otherwise makes its harder to avoid hitting him in the head, it's up to the defender to adjust.

"That's why being under control is so critical. You have to make sure you are under control so you can adjust," Goodell said, when he was asked whether it's fair to ask a defender to be responsible for the offensive player's last-second decision to dip his head before a collision.

Goodell's latest comments don't figure to ease the dissension over this issue.

Even the best college players talk about how dramatic a difference there is in the speed of the NFL game. When you have a running back running at full speed in one direction and a defensive back charging from the other direction, it's hard to see how a defender could possibly go from aiming to lay a hit with his shoulder to dodging the running back's helmet, if the running back ducks down and to the side at the last second.

NFL players are amazingly fast, but it seems like now the NFL is asking for super-human reaction times
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: You be the judge.

It was a routine hit. what's to judge?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHaullace View Post
[YOUTUBE]631ADlRKBFY[/YOUTUBE]

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/08/r...control-on-ta/

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell further put the onus on defenders on tackles. Goodell explained that if a ball carrier ducks his head or otherwise makes its harder to avoid hitting him in the head, it's up to the defender to adjust.
Goodell should stick to something he knows & understands... like shuffling papers, straightening pictures hanging on a wall, or sharpening pencils, because he doesn't know d!ck about football:
the above statement proves this
Old 12-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

[ . Some players, most notably Troy Polamalu, have recently pointed out that it's also an example of dangerously autocratic power -- the league levies a fine, then serves as the judge if a player decides to appeal his decision.

But in the run-up to Monday night's game between the Steelers and the Bengals, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell further put the onus on defenders on tackles. Goodell explained that if a ball carrier ducks his head or otherwise makes its harder to avoid hitting him in the head, it's up to the defender to adjust.

1. i like how the league issues the fine then is the judge on the final matter. Where's the players union? Is this in the upcoming agreement plans?
In other words...."appeals" are worthless. How often have you heard of an appeal getting over-turned? I haven't either......
The union should strike just over that alone.

2. "its up to the defender to adjust...". WHAT? Is this guy on crack cocaine? Seriously?
People fail to realize these things happen in like 1/3 of a second. It kills me how they then play the tape over and over....slow it down...then SLOOOOOOOOOOW it down again. And start judging. Thats both ridiculous and completely unreasonable.
Goodell should know this better than anyone.

Its making me truly sick when i even read anything about this anymore...any statement by Goodell usually leaves me wanting to "hurl".
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
It was a routine hit. what's to judge?
Players have gotten in trouble for routine hits that happen to have helmet-helmet contact on recievers, but this is a quarterback, refs 99% of the throw a flag if anythign touches a quarterbacks head. If that was Brady there'd be an automatic first down for sure
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Players have gotten in trouble for routine hits that happen to have helmet-helmet contact on recievers, but this is a quarterback, refs 99% of the throw a flag if anythign touches a quarterbacks head. If that was Brady there'd be an automatic first down for sure
and a possible ejection of every defender that touched him
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I think (almost) all of us have been saying exactly this for weeks.

I understand the league wanting to cut down on dangerous hits...but it's absolutely ridiculous and hypocritical to put all the liability on the defender. That's like giving out licenses to teen-agers and telling them there are no consequences if they speed or crash. It just doesn't make one bit of sense to me.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
HAWK
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12888

If the player's union isn't addressing this while talking about the CBA, etc. then they're flat out idiots.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

The knee to the face should have been a givin....that was intensional

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
I know, but what are we supposed to be judging?

There was no intentional helmet to helmet. As far as I can tell, he didn't lead with his head. There was incidental helmet contact... big deal. I can only call it as I see it. I can't do anything about Brady and Manning getting special dispensation from GODell. I judge the hit to be another routine, mundane football play in the NFL... nothing more.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote