Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-07-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Boyd ready to start in NFL Europe

Boyd ready to start in NFL Europe
Friday, April 7, 2006

For Shane Boyd, the most difficult aspect of his stay in Germany has been being away from his family.

"I'm a family man; I miss my family," said Boyd, who was recently named the starting quarterback for the Centurions of the NFL Europe League.

Boyd has been living with his teammates out of a hotel in the city of Cologne. Cologne is a long way from his hometown of Lexington, Kentucky, 4,313 miles away to be exact.

"I am homesick," said the 6-1, 232-pound Boyd. "Not to the point where it's driving me crazy. Things are just so different. I just want something to remind me of home."

Boyd and 316 other players have spent the past month adapting to NFL Europe, a new football team, a new playbook, new teammates and a new world.

"It gives you that big city feel," said Boyd about Cologne. "The people are very busy. The pace is a little faster, a little busier, like big cities back in the states. I experienced a lot with the culture and on the field. But I'm over here to take care of business."

Boyd will have to take care of business on the field in Saturday's game against Frankfurt if the Centurions want to play for the World Bowl. Boyd was named the starting quarterback by head coach David Duggan after the Centurions stumbled to a 1-2 start behind quarterback Troy Woodbury (Buffalo Bills).

"I'm very excited," Boyd said. "I'm ready to play this Saturday and get back on the field, get a win and get back in the World Bowl race."

When did you arrive in Germany?

We left on March 8th. Our team traveled together. We had a mini-camp in Tampa, Florida. We were there for three weeks then flew over to Germany. We had a week to settle in. When we first got here, we got a quick tour. We saw a couple of historical things, cathedrals and a museum with a lot of artifacts. We viewed the city to get a feel for some things, just a little acclimation day.

What is the city of Cologne like?

It's very fast. People are on the run, getting trains, on the move left and right, a little faster, a little busier, like big cities back in the states. Lexington isn't a small city. My mother lives in Atlanta; it's a second home to me. You kind of get that feel.

Have you run into troubles with the language barrier?

The younger generations have to take English in school. You do have to slow down and talk to them, like talking to a younger child. Over here they know more than one language. I learned a couple words. I'm learning as I go. I want to learn enough to get by. But it's an interesting language. It's a challenge.

How have the people treated you?

Half are excited to see us and the other half is somewhat intimidated. They don't know how to approach us; don't know how to talk to us. Americans are more outgoing. They are more conservative. In America you can have a casual conversation with anyone. Over here the conversation just stops. There are nice folks. I ran into a lot of nice people and had good conversations. They enjoy talking to you.

How is the chemistry of the team coming together?

When you look at it, all we have is our teammates. You start to develop relationships and become closer with the guys. I'm meeting guys from all colleges and all parts of the U.S. We're always together. You're almost forced to bond. It's an 'we-all-we-got' type of thing.

Do you your teammates look to you as a leader of the team?

They're been looking at me that way since we all came together. That's a quality that I feel I'm blessed with and utilize. Even as a backup I see myself as a leader and starter. That's how I practice and how I play.

Is there anywhere you go to get some alone time?

I stay in my room or get lost in the city. Being in this whole new environment, you're alone.

Are you looking forward to training camp?

I can't wait. I'm ready to strap it on and get it going. I'm looking to get [experience] out of the football side. That's why they sent me over here, to develop my skills and help them. I want to be a better quarterback and athlete to help the team win anyway I can.

Have you played any other positions?

I played running back and wide receiver. Interestingly enough, when I came to work out [for the Steelers], they wanted me at running back but after they saw me throw they sent me [to Europe] as a quarterback. They gave me an opportunity to show my quarterback skills.

How is the food in Germany?

I wouldn't say it's the best. I shed a few pounds. It's not as bad as I thought. I stick with the Burger King and McDonald's. It's not bad. It's different. Their delicacies are different. You have to pay for ketchup and ice here. They give you too much ice and bag of ketchup in America and over here to you have to pay for it.

Source: Steelers.com

funny cause Cologne is my fav Europe team!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Boyd ready to start in NFL Europe

Good Luck in the Europe League Boyd.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: Boyd ready to start in NFL Europe

The fact that he made it to the NFL at all still amazes me...he could barely start for Kentucky.

Oh well, good luck Shane!
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote