Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #11
SaskSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9243
Default Re: Fantuz auditions for Steelers, Vikings

I actually live in Saskatoon and get to see fantuz play every week during the CFL season and i have to say that he would definitely would make a great addition to our team, he is a hard-nosed football player and was huge on 2nd downs. But as much as i would love to see him on the steelers i really don't see a place for him on our roster, he doesn't play special teams and isn't a returner either. That means it would be hard for him to supplant either brown or sanders and i don't know many teams who have 5th receiver that only plays on offense
SaskSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #12
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

They tried him out for a reason!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #13
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Why don't the Steelers sign everybody who's available anywhere in the world? We're obviously really hurting at wide receiver, so I can see why this guy (whose agent no doubt is the OP of this thread) would pique everyone's interest.

What the hell is a "slotback" (MoP, we need a picture) and what kind of idiot agent agrees to a contractual signing window of January 1st to February 15th? Think about that for a moment, folks. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #14
Big
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16315
My Mood: Tired

[youtube]42xupRXXh2s[/youtube]
Old 12-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,299 Times in 3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
They tried him out for a reason!
Ed. B. of the P-G explains in PG+ this is the equivalent of checking to make sure you know where batteries are stored in case of an unexpected power outage

I rarely see as much pub on a player working out for a team than when someone from the CFL does. The Steelers work out players all the time, usually on Tuesday. They do this to keep their “ready” lists up to date and also to gauge possible future signings. Andy Fantuz worked out for the Steelers Tuesday. He’s a wide receiver from the Saskatchewan Roughriders There’s no way they will sign a wide receiver other than as a “future” signing, for 2011.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-town/steelers
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ed. B. of the P-G explains in PG+ this is the equivalent of checking to make sure you know where batteries are stored in case of an unexpected power outage

I rarely see as much pub on a player working out for a team than when someone from the CFL does. The Steelers work out players all the time, usually on Tuesday. They do this to keep their “ready” lists up to date and also to gauge possible future signings. Andy Fantuz worked out for the Steelers Tuesday. He’s a wide receiver from the Saskatchewan Roughriders There’s no way they will sign a wide receiver other than as a “future” signing, for 2011.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-town/steelers
One would think that there has to be at least one OG/OT that has improved enough by playing up there that they would be an upgrade over what he have now.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,299 Times in 3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
One would think that there has to be at least one OG/OT that has improved enough by playing up there that they would be an upgrade over what he have now.
Losing Colon preseason after the draft and Starks mid-season is tough to overcome -there is a reason players play in the CFL rather than the NFL and it has nothing to do with enjoying cold weather - if a CFL OL was any good that player would already be on some NFL team as a backup or at least a practice squad player

All things considered, Steelers are lucky Adams has worked out as well as he has (Adams was playing hurt last week just as Kemo has been for some time - there simply are no suitable replacements)

As for left tackle the Steelers are stuck playing a journeyman back-up as a starter - not having Miller last week further complicated matters

Beating the Jets and having the Saints beat the Ravens would provide a great chance to rest players for the playoffs and play the back-ups in Cleveland
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Losing Colon preseason after the draft and Starks mid-season is tough to overcome -there is a reason players play in the CFL rather than the NFL and it has nothing to do with enjoying cold weather - if a CFL OL was any good that player would already be on some NFL team as a backup or at least a practice squad player

All things considered, Steelers are lucky Adams has worked out as well as he has (Adams was playing hurt last week just as Kemo has been for some time - there simply are no suitable replacements)

As for left tackle the Steelers are stuck playing a journeyman back-up as a starter - not having Miller last week further complicated matters

Beating the Jets and having the Saints beat the Ravens would provide a great chance to rest players for the playoffs and play the back-ups in Cleveland

I'm fully aware of why they go up there to play. The point is some of these guys could be late bloomers if you will and have developed the skill set required to play here. To me we really should be looking at the CFL as a minor league system. It doesn't cost us anything to take a look at what is there. In fact it's stupid not to do so. Many here thought Logan was nothing more than training camp fodder. He's turned out to be a good special teams player that could probably make plays at WR/RB.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

To me, this guy looks more like a prospect TE rather than a WR. If he can block better than spaeth, I say sign him and cut matty, especially when johnson has shown better hands and blocking ability
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Being from Canada and living in the London, Ontario area where Fantuz went to school ( university of Western Ontario) I have watched him play college and in the CFL He is a very talented receiver with decent speed and great hands. Very tough..Can block well and takes hits. For those who don't know a slot back is similiar to a slot receiver in the NFL. He is an intriguing prospect to be sure and he will be picked up by someone and IMO Fantuz will be a very good red zone pass catcher. If we can sign him , put him on the practice squad, have him learn our offense and be ready for next season then it is a win win for us. and no wasted draft pick either. We are likely to not have El or Battle next season, so I think this is a move with very little downside.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote