Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Bruce Arians speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I agree this will "work itself out" - by hiring a new offensive coordinator
CLASSIC ^
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

"it's going to work itself out. We've got to make some plays".
Wow.
Really? That might be the dumbest answer to a question i've heard.....sheez.

Although i will agree with him on one point...that refs can call a holding play on every play if they want to. Only thing is its bad news when they're calling your guys every other play and not calling on the other guys. How many times does Harrison almost have to get thrown to the ground? This is even caught on tape all the time.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
You guys notice ever since Cowher and Whiz left our gadget plays look like the Keystone Kops?.......

Yes..... Watching us run a screen to the RB is almost as funny.

That points to lack of preparation by the offense. Meaning Arians is not getting his offense prepared enough to run those plays. It goes back to what Ive been saying about Arians for 3 years now. He tries to run our offense 100mph. He asks our players to do things that just BEG for mistakes to happen. Like driving a car 100mph through city streets. Eventually you will crash. Asking your QB to make 6-7 step drops and running your WR's on deep routes when you only need 4-6 yards is suicide. Especially with a QB who holds onto the ball to long and an O-line that struggles with pass protection. I blame everyone of those holds on Arians. I blame most of the sacks on Arians.

It appears to me Arians thinks he can use Bens ability to break a few tackles on every pass play. If Ben can some how escape it will leave our WRs one on one and deep. Which in principle is true, but to execute such a feat is not realistic. Not to mention he's killing our QB.

We desperately need a new OC. We will not win in the playoffs with Arians - PERIOD.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,047 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

can we plz fire his ass
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,066 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Yes..... Watching us run a screen to the RB is almost as funny.

That points to lack of preparation by the offense. Meaning Arians is not getting his offense prepared enough to run those plays. It goes back to what Ive been saying about Arians for 3 years now. He tries to run our offense 100mph. He asks our players to do things that just BEG for mistakes to happen. Like driving a car 100mph through city streets. Eventually you will crash. Asking your QB to make 6-7 step drops and running your WR's on deep routes when you only need 4-6 yards is suicide. Especially with a QB who holds onto the ball to long and an O-line that struggles with pass protection. I blame everyone of those holds on Arians. I blame most of the sacks on Arians.

It appears to me Arians thinks he can use Bens ability to break a few tackles on every pass play. If Ben can some how escape it will leave our WRs one on one and deep. Which in principle is true, but to execute such a feat is not realistic. Not to mention he's killing our QB.

We desperately need a new OC. We will not win in the playoffs with Arians - PERIOD.

I absolutely agree with this!!!

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that Arians is designing plays today as if Jerome was still at tailback and the O-line was fresh as a daisy and that's simply not the case.

He's designing plays that require the O-line to hold blocks for 4 to 5 seconds when in reality they're lucky if they can hold them for 2 to 3 seconds. Ben doesn't help matters when he decides to "go walkabout" on every other play because he forces the line to not only have to block even longer, but they now have to watch where he is as well as where defenders are coming from and that totally gasses them.

What needs to happen (in my humble opinion) is for Arians and Ben to adopt a game plan that works WITH the 2 to 3 second blocking time instead of against it and that means a (gasp!) West Coast Style of offense. I know that this is not "Steeler Football" but it would work a helluva lot better than designing "Steeler" plays with an O-line that could barely handle the West Coast plays.

Stop running the deep routes that take forever to develop and stop trying to make Mendenhall into Bettis. Design plays that work towards smaller, more predictable gains and develop some consistency and take the pressure off the O-line. THEN, when the situation presents itself, take your shots downtown or maybe try a solid "up the middle" run when you really need it and have a relatively fresh O-line suck it up for those occasional plays instead of on every down.

I know no one wants to hear this but that's what makes Belichick a great coach; he's able to look at what he HAS and design around that rather than trying to design plays for something he wishes he had or used to have.

Maybe one day we'll get another tailback like Jerome and we can get back to Steeler Football, but for now I'd just like to see some consistent and productive football no matter what it's called.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388

Can't you tell that this idiot came to the Steelers from friggin' CLEVELAND...

What a powerhouse to get your O-coordinator from...

MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

It had to be a bad year for OC's
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,499 Times in 3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
You guys notice ever since Cowher and Whiz left our gadget plays look like the Keystone Kops?.......
Opposing coaches also have noticed how the superior intellect of Bruce Arians draws up the plays

This is a quote from Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

"There's not much precision to the (Steelers') passing attack, and a lot of it turns into playground stuff."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ti.html?page=2

Surprising to hear an opposing team's coach be that candid, but my bet is Arians is regarded around the league as a chump who benefits from having a very talented QB
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
"There's not much precision to the (Steelers') passing attack, and a lot of it turns into playground stuff."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ti.html?page=2
That's a huge insult! Think Arians is smart enough to know its an insult?
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,066 Times in 889 Posts

Well, another way to look at it is that they said the same thing about Terry Bradshaw - that he was little more than a sandlot QB and he won four SB's in six years.

In fact, I've often considered Ben as being the nearest thing to Bradshaw that we've ever had. The only real difference between Ben and Terry is that Terry had a longer arm. But other than that, if you shortened Ben by a few inches and had him wear a #12, they'd be virtually identical.

I don't know about you, but I think that's a good thing, no?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote