Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
View Poll Results: If we win the #2 seed, which team would you prefer to play in the second round of the
Colts 3 9.38%
Chargers 9 28.13%
Ravens 4 12.50%
Jets 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205
Default Re: Playoffs: Who would you want

Ranked in order of weakest to toughest

Chiefs - easily the weakest teams currently in contention for the playoffs in the AFC

Jets - we'll see how we match up against them tomorrow, but I think they're incredibly lucky to be 9-4 and in contention for a wild card, they still might miss the playoffs all together.

Colts - Not really concerned about the Colts, but Peyton Manning is always a threat to win any given Sunday

Ravens - I'm also not concerned about a rematch with the Ravens, we know them well enough and have been on the winning side more often than not, especially with Ben at QB.

Jags - I'd normally brush the Jags off, but we always seem to struggle against them, and they're playing very well and flying way under the radar. It was hard to put them above the Ravens but the fact that we have more experience (particularly winning experience) against the Ravens seals it.

Chargers - Yes, they do have 6 losses, but most all of those losses are because the Chargers beat themselves. The Chargers can otherwise be scary good on offense AND defense. In fact I'm almost wanting to root for the Chargers because I think they have one of the best shots at beating the Pats outside of the Superbowl.

Of which I'm actually more interested in thinking about which team I'd rather have face the Pats in the divisional round than which team we would face, as I don't really care which team we do face as I think we can beat anyone in that divisional round, but clearly the Pats are one of the best teams and are clearly a team that we simply don't match up that well against.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I'd be fairly comfortable with the Colts or Chargers. A little less comfortable with the Jets or the Ravens, but I still think the Steelers could get it done. Least comfortable with the Pats...though I think if the team had the bye and got healthy, they'd make it a close game that could go either way.

I guess I'll go with the Chargers.
Everyone is least comfortable with the Pats. Fortunately they will be the number 1 seed so hopefully we don't have to play them unless we are in the championship.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Boy, I think I'm just the opposite. If you look at our losses, our D has had trouble stopping elite QB's from passing on us. Teams that run the ball well like Balt and the Jets don't seem to give us too many issues as our D shuts the run down. I would fear Payton Manning would pick apart our secondary. At least with the Jets and Balt. it would be low scoring and come down to 1 big play, which I trust our D to make.
I think I agree with this.

And now with Troy and Heath not playing, it would give the Jets new wrinkles to deal with come playoffs. I would just hope Sanchez chokes. He's the least experienced of the 4 so I think that's why I choose them.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
The Chargers by far. We have had their number recently and seem to be able to generate a running game against them every time we play them. I saw their last loss to the Raiders and they are a team that can be dominated physically.
They looked good Thursday...granted it was against SF but that was WITHOUT Gates. I think I'll pass. VJ looked good. If they had him all season, they would have been better.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post

Chargers - Yes, they do have 6 losses, but most all of those losses are because the Chargers beat themselves. The Chargers can otherwise be scary good on offense AND defense. In fact I'm almost wanting to root for the Chargers because I think they have one of the best shots at beating the Pats outside of the Superbowl.
So funny that you say this. I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking the Chargers match up the best against the pats and maybe they could knock them out for us so we can have home field advantage throughout.

The problem is that in order for that to happen the Chargers would have to make the playoffs as the 4th seed and the Colts or Jags as the 3rd seed and both would have to win (Beat Balt. and Jets) so that we would be facing the Colts or Jags.

Most likely if the Chargers make the playoffs they will be facing us (if they win wildcard game).
Old 12-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,324 Times in 515 Posts

Chiefs for sure
They are primarily running and that's where we shine.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

The Jets-- they are our best matchup. As bad as we match up against the Pats, so goes the Jets in my opinion. Their primary strength on offense is their ground game-- which plays right into our hands. They have a shakey QB who tends to stink up the joint when he doesn't have a great running game backing him up, and I bet Polamalu would be able to pick off at least 2 or 3 of his ugly, wobbly, off-target passes if we shut down LT and Shon Greene.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Chiefs for sure
They are primarily running and that's where we shine.
The Chiefs were not one of the choices. The Chargers will make the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
The Jets-- they are our best matchup. As bad as we match up against the Pats, so goes the Jets in my opinion. Their primary strength on offense is their ground game-- which plays right into our hands. They have a shakey QB who tends to stink up the joint when he doesn't have a great running game backing him up, and I bet Polamalu would be able to pick off at least 2 or 3 of his ugly, wobbly, off-target passes if we shut down LT and Shon Greene.
I chose the Jets too. The funny thing is we get a match up preview today. If we lose we can whine and say it was because no troy and Smith. The reason I chose them is because it will likely be close and in a close game, I'd prefer to face Sanchez at the end over Manning, Rivers and Flaco.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
SteelKnight
Team President

I have no idea why people are choosing the Chargers. We don't match up well. Our pass defense sucks and has holes. They have Gates, VJ, Floyd and Rivers throwing it.

We do well against the run. They don't care. They'll go to all pass if they have to and we allow more than 2/3rd pass completions.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
SteelKnight
Team President

Doesn't Manning seem like a whiny girl. He's always rolling his eyes and feeling sorry for himself any play that doesn't go his way. So funny.