Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,185 Times in 979 Posts
Default Animal Sedative Used in Okla. Inmate's Execution

The death penalty, the death penalty. Wow. It amazes me. I once got close enough to a group of Anti-Abortionists and asked exactly what they believe in regarding abortion. They said we regard the fetus as a human life and abortion is taking a human life. Then I asked the same group of people what they thought about the death penalty....... THEY ALL SUPPORTED IT !!! LOL ! Anyway...

Article

MCALESTER, Okla. (CBS/AP) Convicted murderer John David Duty was executed Thursday evening in Oklahoma, using a drug combination that included pentobarbital, a sedative often used to euthanize animals.

LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...ctionContent.6

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: Animal Sedative Used in Okla. Inmate's Execution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
The death penalty, the death penalty. Wow. It amazes me. I once got close enough to a group of Anti-Abortionists and asked exactly what they believe in regarding abortion. They said we regard the fetus as a human life and abortion is taking a human life. Then I asked the same group of people what they thought about the death penalty....... THEY ALL SUPPORTED IT !!! LOL ! Anyway...

Article

MCALESTER, Okla. (CBS/AP) Convicted murderer John David Duty was executed Thursday evening in Oklahoma, using a drug combination that included pentobarbital, a sedative often used to euthanize animals.

LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...ctionContent.6
you can't see the difference? That is the problem, lol. Killing someone on death row hardly the same as innocent fetus. apples to oranges.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
cubanstogie
Head Coach

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I am wondering if you are trying to imply the drug therapy was inappropriate. Phenobarbital is given to humans all the time for anti seizures. I hardly feel sorry for the guy.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,130 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

I've got a lot of opinions on the death penalty...without going into long boring details of why (unless someone wants to hear me ramble), I don't agree with it because I don't completely trust the people who comprise 12 man juries and the justice system as a whole. Not to mention the fact that because this system is inherently flawed, there are steps in place that make the death penalty more expensive than life in prison.

If killing one innocent fetus is abhorable, then the possibility of killing one innocent person on death row should be as well.

Yes, I get that some to most are guilty and pretty much deserve it, but there's no way anyone can say that it's 100% foolproof. And if you say that if an innocent one slipping through the cracks every now and then is just collateral damage, then you can't use the argument that "every life is precious" in your anti-abortion rants. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

As far as the drug goes...like stogie said, there are animal drugs in lots of things humans take, so I'm not all that surprised by it.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,827 Times in 4,090 Posts

the shoulda used a bullet. or better yet electricity or a noose.

as for the "apples to oranges" excuse, i believe that is just a cop out people use to cope with their own internal stuggle of how hypocritical their beliefs are.

painting it as 2 different things somehow makes it easier to deal with.

human life is human life in the eyes of God whether it is taken by abortion, capital punishment, war or natural disaster.

i wonder how many fetuses we killed when we nuked hiroshima and nagasaki.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the shoulda used a bullet. or better yet electricity or a noose.

as for the "apples to oranges" excuse, i believe that is just a cop out people use to cope with their own internal stuggle of how hypocritical their beliefs are.

painting it as 2 different things somehow makes it easier to deal with.

human life is human life in the eyes of God whether it is taken by abortion, capital punishment, war or natural disaster.

i wonder how many fetuses we killed when we nuked hiroshima and nagasaki.
I can't argue about the cop out and internal struggle because I am for the death penalty and am pro choice, but I still see a huge difference. God can see things the way he wants and so can religious people. But even God couldn't convince me the "human life" of a fetus, and "human life" of a guy who kidnaps, rapes, and kills innocent people is comparable and of equal value. Not to open up another can of worms but that is my problem with most religions. Why do we forgive so easily. Some people don't deserve to be forgiven, just killed.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

By the way, Mom, the Supreme Court decided a while back that innocence was not a bar to a state carrying out an execution, so long as the trial was deemed procedurally sound. That's right, an innocent man was found guilty in a court of law, his appeals exhausted, and then just before he was going to get zapped, the actual perpetrator was found and confessed.

The Supremes decided that it didn't matter. He'd had his day in court and lost, and now had to pay the piper. That's right - states are therefore perfectly within their rights to execute innocent people, and have now gone down on record as having done so, with Federal sanction.

Quiz time! Take a wild guess which state it was that was so eager to kill an innocent man. Take a wild guess who was the governor at the time. And for bonus points, take a really wild guess what they decided to do with the other guy after the innocent guy was executed.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,702 Posts

i'm guessing texas , with bush , and the perp was givin an executive job with haliburton ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,130 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
I can't argue about the cop out and internal struggle because I am for the death penalty and am pro choice, but I still see a huge difference. God can see things the way he wants and so can religious people. But even God couldn't convince me the "human life" of a fetus, and "human life" of a guy who kidnaps, rapes, and kills innocent people is comparable and of equal value. Not to open up another can of worms but that is my problem with most religions. Why do we forgive so easily. Some people don't deserve to be forgiven, just killed.
That might be the point for some people...but I think the point being brought up here is, is it comparable to kill a fetus and wrongly convict and sentence to death (and carry out the execution) of an innocent person?

Like I said, I know, for the most part, that the guilty people are caught and tried...but why even take the chance of allowing the state and federal government to murder an innocent person? If there was some way to guarantee, 100%, that the right person was caught and convicted every single time...then I'd be all for the death penalty. Unfortunately, to err is human, and that goes for the justice system as well.

Besides, I don't think convicting people to life in prison is the same as forgiving them. It's not like if the death penalty is abolished, all the sudden people guilty of murder are going to be pardoned and allowed to start their lives over. If it is found that the person convicted is innocent though, they would at least be given that chance.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,185 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
That might be the point for some people...but I think the point being brought up here is, is it comparable to kill a fetus and wrongly convict and sentence to death (and carry out the execution) of an innocent person?

Like I said, I know, for the most part, that the guilty people are caught and tried...but why even take the chance of allowing the state and federal government to murder an innocent person? If there was some way to guarantee, 100%, that the right person was caught and convicted every single time...then I'd be all for the death penalty. Unfortunately, to err is human, and that goes for the justice system as well.

Besides, I don't think convicting people to life in prison is the same as forgiving them. It's not like if the death penalty is abolished, all the sudden people guilty of murder are going to be pardoned and allowed to start their lives over. If it is found that the person convicted is innocent though, they would at least be given that chance.
I agree here. I for one am also an Israeli citizen. Yes. Israel is a war zone (an "actual" war zone). Its fundamentally a big military base in the middle of hostile neighbors. Out in the field, people get killed... that's a fact. BUT. There is NO death penalty in Israel and this goes for ALL Jews, Muslims, Christians or whatever may be the case. The death penalty does not "deter" ANY crime or bring back any victim.
Never has, never will... Its just a form of "get back " for a relatives loved ones... and that's pretty much it. .... Just like the Muslims say, "an eye for an eye"...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote