Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,686 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default texas 500- who to watch/ who will win

10 cup races at this track with 10 different winners. no one driver owns this track but with roush having won half the races with 5 different drivers, we'll just add it to the list of tracks he owns. we go from the race with perhaps the coolest trophy in sports to a venue where the top prize is a pair of boots. perhaps the suckiest trophy in all of sports. atleast texas gives out a hefty payout.

at one point several races ago, the fastest qualifying speed of the season was posted, topping atlanta, charlotte and both restrictor plate superspeedways. texas is the track that was giving indy car drivers (maybe it was cart- who cares) vertigo from driving so fast 2 or 3 years ago. there is much prestige in having the fastest track. see charlotte repaving pushing speeds up to 197.

point is texas is FAST and a second groove has been coming in slowly but surely. im watching for a good race with good passing up front and great passing 7-30 cars deep in the field. hopefully we wont struggle through another mile and a half, follow the leader, snoozefest.

mark martin has good history here and hes backed it up this weekend with great qualifying and practice efforts. kenseth too. when he qualifies in the top 10, watch out! biffle won this race last year and has a top 10 start. edwards won the race in fall and loves these types of tracks. kahne also loves these mile and a halfers and he has the pole.jj yeley starts on the front row while teamate stewart starts from 40th. this shouldnt make too much difference to someone with a great car as kenseth proved this race can be won with a back up engine, and from the last place starting spot.

i really dont have my finger on the pulse of anything to make a bold prediction (i would most likely be wrong if i tried) however texas has been kind giving several drivers their 1st wins (j. burton, dale jr) and drivers who didnt have many wins (e. saddler and r. newman) have found success here. this could be good news for drivers like c. mears, j mcmurray and r. gordon as a darkhorse. the labonte brothers are always fun to watch at this track and rookie yeley could suprise people with a great run in bobbys old ride. watch team yates, 2nd and 3rd in practice, and i think d. hamlin will do descent. dale jr. won in his rookie season here. does truex hav it in him? im sure he does but he really doesnt have the equipment yet. i still think a 15-20th place finish isnt out of the question. while im not really looking at anything from the pointsleader in this race, i will not be suprised at all if he cracked the top 6 and maybe gordom will work his way up late in the race to pull out a 9-13th place finish.

notable that dale jr.s 1st win here, was also the late adam pettys ist and only start in the cup series and the one and only time him and his dad competed together, although adams car failed and he was a non factor through most of the race. watching dale sr. celebrate in victory lane with his son, humanized him in my eyes. while i never rooted for him on the track, i always rooted for him as a team owner and a father (even as hard assed as he was). this is a tape i'll never record over. i'll be watching if either driver has a co-pilot with them this weekend.

this week is tough.

1) m. kenseth
2) e. saddler
3) g. biffle
4) kurt bush
5) m. martin
6) k. kahne
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Re: texas 500- who to watch/ who will win

1.Martin
2.Kenseth
3.Gordon
4.Kahne
5.Jr.

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

in the fantasy league i have Gordon, Kyle Busch, Hamlin, and Yeley
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
tony hipchest

reed sorenson was clearly busted in the bush race throwing a piece of roll bar padding out his window, and then calling for a caution on his radio. he got black flagged. good. (even though a caution came out before he served his penalty) these manuvers are b.s.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
in the fantasy league i have Gordon, Kyle Busch, Hamlin, and Yeley
so you think gordons gonna win?
Old 04-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quick question. I notice none of you guys/gals have Earnhardt Jr. on the list. What's his deal? Is he basically riding on his dad's name? Is he having a bad year? Is he overrated? Just curious.

Thanks from the know-nothing NASCAR person...lol.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I have him starting this week...to be honest, I think he's a fairly average driver, but he's got good equipment, and NASCAR will do him favors from time to time.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
so you think gordons gonna win?
Ya, he has a legit shot at every track
Old 04-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Quick question. I notice none of you guys/gals have Earnhardt Jr. on the list. What's his deal? Is he basically riding on his dad's name? Is he having a bad year? Is he overrated? Just curious.

Not the most talented guy out their but in a good situation
Old 04-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43

deiselman had him 5th and i definitely mentionned him in my pre race analysis. jr.s grampa was in auto racing and it used to be said that dale sr. was riding off his fathers name. 7 champs later dale jr. gets the same stuff. dale jr. is a damn good driver. many say he is overrated, kinda like p. manning. personally i think hes been good as proved by his 4th place finish with a car that looked like it was ready for the scrapheap last weekend. (he had been in 2 wrecks but still pulled out a top 5) he is a good racer with a great personality and great for the sport. he will never live up to his father though. no one probably will.