Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: M-Rob willing to play wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoondog
Why is it when someone has something negative to say about a penn state player, penn state fans call that person a hater?
Ummm... because your hatin.

I understand that everyone has an opinion, and sometimes they are different than mine. I never heard of this Penn State fan stereotype of yours but I'm sure it's fairly consistant with fans of any team in any sport. Although, that would explain the "I told you so" videos... they go out to all the haters.

link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4&q=Penn+State
Old 04-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Sporting News also has the Steelers very interested in Robinson on day 2, which means Dulac is reporting that interest.

At least he's approaching his imminent "slash" role with an open mind. You know, he reminds me a bit of an Eddie George-type RB (They have almost identical builds, [Robinson 6'1 3/8" 227/George 6'2" 227 coming out of school] and Robinson may be a bit more elusive), and his ability to play multiple roles means he's almost certainly going to be NFL worthy at SOME position.

I'd welcome this addition to the Steelers, as long as we didn't pick him before the end of round 3.

Last edited by Suitanim; 04-10-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,409 Posts

we have 3 selections in the span of 6 picks with our compensetory 4th round picks. this seems to be a perfect spot. he reminds me of a poor mans matt jones. (in that we can get him fairly cheap) and while people say jones was a reach i think he was well worth the gamble for jax. i also though jones would be a perfect fit for the steelers just like i think m-rob will. especially after reading the size similarity with eddie george.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #14
DiggetyDank
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2252

Robinson would be a great pick. What are some plays you guys would like to see him run? I'm thinking he could get some decent yards on some kind of reverse or end-around play, or the always-fun halfback option. I wonder if he would be any good returning punts or kickoffs?
DiggetyDank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think you use him as slash, but more often. Line him up at WR on some plays, put him in the slot and/or as an H-back some, let him play some RB, even line him up at QB and line Ben up at WR. A guy like that on the field can cause an opposing teams DC to have fits...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #16
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

I think he would be great as the third down back in shotgun formation, like they used El and Ward in that position. Two words for you... " direct snap". M-Rob ran more quarterback draws from 3rd and 7+ I've ever seen, and he would get them. There are so many ways to use him, and yes... he did punt/kick return as a freshman and some as a sophomore at Penn State.

I would even think he would have a good feel for pass protection (being a former QB) if he had to stay in and block... I know he's not scared to stick his nose in there.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
tony hipchest

i keep thinking of how explosive kordell was in 95. or how perfect matt jones wouldve fit in last year. then i think of robinson in a 5wr set with quincy, hines, cedric, and heath, or even a 4 wr set with willie in the backfield.

could he possibly be the biggest "bang for your buck" player the steelers could draft (considering rookie season output only)? i think, like kordell, he could have a huge impact just touching the ball 3-4 times a game.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

I totally agree Tony... check out this scouting report.

Quote:
- Gifted athlete who has played QB, WR, and RB during his career at Penn State, extremely tough, good leadership qualities and work ethic, one of the most mobile QB's in this year's draft. A rocket with the ball in his hands. Has a quick first step and has the speed to take it the distance. Very elusive can get himself out of trouble when he needs to. Could move to WR or RB in the NFL, or play a "Slash" role similar to Kordell Stewart in his early years with the Steelers. Made clutch plays all season for PSU and was a major reason for the massive turnaround in Happy Valley.

Overall: Robinson can help his draft status at the Senior Bowl by taking reps at WR, RB, and KR as well as QB. Indications are that he will be drafted for his athletic ability rather than his skills as a passer and will probably be moved to WR or RB in the NFL. Any team that is fortunate enough to land MRob will be pleasantly surprised with his good work ethic, attitude, and leadership skills, not to mention his gamebreaking abilities running, throwing, or catching the football.
I think that when some people look at Robinson they think he is a thug or a male diva with the all the tattoos, the visor, and general swagger or confidence he possesses on the field. He is actually one of the most focused and down to earth young athletes you'll find. As a Penn State fan you are constantly hearing good things about his work ethic, leadership skills, commitment, and intelligence. He graduated in 3 1/2 years and earned a second undergraduate degree this past fall. He was also a four-time Academic All Big Ten honoree.

Joe Paterno recently said of their 11-1 season and Penn State's turnaround... "No player more exemplifies the commitment, sacrifice and belief in a common goal that breeds champions and no player better employed the charisma, confidence, and leadership to make it happen than Michael Robinson"

After Robinson's final game at home he said... "He's obviously taken over this football team," Paterno said. "He plays so well when he has to make plays. He's just a great competitor. We wouldn't be nearly as good without him."

Sorry... I think I have a "man crush".

Last edited by BB2W; 04-11-2006 at 06:05 PM.
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2W

Sorry... I think I have a "man crush".
kordell, hines, el, rumors of the steelers strongly targetting m. jones last year....it all just makes too much sense. problem is that players the steelers strongly covet often have their draft value greatly increased. many people were stunned when m. jones went #22? last year when alot others thought he would be there, and be a possible reach for the steelers drafting at #30.

if you look at the value of trading up from the 30 pick to the 22, the steelers might actually have to use a 3rd round pick on robinson to insure they get him. and even then, 30+ teams would have a shot at him with their 3rd round pick. hell denver spent a 3rd rounder on m. clarett so another team could definitely make such a bold move and gamble.

if matt was a 1st, el a 2nd, hines a 3rd, kordell a 2nd, why is robinson ranked as a 4th at highest? the draft and scouting experts ive listened to on sirius think he would be a great pick for the steelers in the 4th round and rave about his sr. bowl week. why so low?

Last edited by tony hipchest; 04-11-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #20
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
if matt was a 1st, el a 2nd, hines a 3rd, kordell a 2nd, why is robinson ranked as a 4th at highest? the draft and scouting experts ive listened to on sirius think he would be a great pick for the steelers in the 4th round and rave about his sr. bowl week. why so low?
The thing that hurt Robinson's draft status most was playing quarterback full time as a senior. If back-up Anthony Morelli would have started or even shared time with Robinson alowing him to be used in his "slash" role they would have a better idea of what he might be capable of.

He is not a very accurate quarterback, and it is probabaly not his best position. When he wasn't throwing the ball deep they ran a spread offense that used a lot of quarterback draws, sweeps, and options. He would often drop back to pass but take off running just like he did in the Senior Bowl. He ran the ball 163 times last season just 11 less than the starting runningback.

I think that if Paterno would have made him a runningback, wide receiver, quarterback, and even a safety from day one at Penn State rather than shuffling him around he would defintely be a first day pick... maybe a first rounder.