Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #21
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: bengals suck?

To give a more accurate and unbiased view of Carson's recovery, there have been several conflicting reports all along. Here's a synopsis:

-First it was the worst injury the doctor had ever seen.
-A couple days later, the Bengals spin machine went to work and downgraded the injury.

Why? My guess is to keep the fans drinking the Kool-Aid. No need to cause a panic...plus, it's bad for ticket sales.

-The injury usually has an 8-12 month recovery.

Even if he recovers in the MINIMUM time, He would be fully healed in mid-September. Does anyone think he'll heal in the absolute minimum time? From what is probably a worse-than-normal tear? And just because he's fully healed, will he be game ready? What kind of shape will he be in? How rusty? Even at 100%, I think they sit him until after the bye.

More likely, it'll be a ten-telve month recovery, which means he may not play at all, or only in the second half of the season. Why do I say this?

-The reports at week 10 of his recovery, which were that "He's right on schedule", but he's also saying that 10 weeks is only 1/4 of the way. 40 weeks equals 10 months on MY calendar, not 8.

I'd say the optimistic view would be that Palmer MAY be ready to play in week 6, coming of the Bengals week 5 bye.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
steelerdude
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2232

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
I understand Tommy Maddox is available.
so is Kordell Stewart.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #23
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
To give a more accurate and unbiased view of Carson's recovery, there have been several conflicting reports all along. Here's a synopsis:

-First it was the worst injury the doctor had ever seen.
-A couple days later, the Bengals spin machine went to work and downgraded the injury.

Why? My guess is to keep the fans drinking the Kool-Aid. No need to cause a panic...plus, it's bad for ticket sales.

-The injury usually has an 8-12 month recovery.

Even if he recovers in the MINIMUM time, He would be fully healed in mid-September. Does anyone think he'll heal in the absolute minimum time? From what is probably a worse-than-normal tear? And just because he's fully healed, will he be game ready? What kind of shape will he be in? How rusty? Even at 100%, I think they sit him until after the bye.

More likely, it'll be a ten-telve month recovery, which means he may not play at all, or only in the second half of the season. Why do I say this?

-The reports at week 10 of his recovery, which were that "He's right on schedule", but he's also saying that 10 weeks is only 1/4 of the way. 40 weeks equals 10 months on MY calendar, not 8.

I'd say the optimistic view would be that Palmer MAY be ready to play in week 6, coming of the Bengals week 5 bye.
My feeling is that Carson may be able to play in the opener, but may not be fully recovered at that point and it would be a little risky to play him. I see him missing either 0 games or up until the bye. If he misses 1 or 2 games in the beginning and the team is struggling, then he may be rushed into action quicker than expected, ala Barry Bonds.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #24
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Updates from Lance's blog...the Carson's recovery and Lavar Arrington tidbits are interesting:
Quote:
Bengals tidbits
From my Bengals observer:
Lavar Arrington
Bengals remain interested in LaVar Arrington. They have crafted a very friendly one year deal and given it to LaVar's agent. Stay tuned as more news on this front will come out prior to the draft.
Joey Harrington
They remain interested in Harrington but will not give in to the Lion's demands for draft pick compensation. The team also remains interested in Jamie Martin as well as others. Expect this situation to be resolved shortly after the draft so that they can get a player in by the May mini camp.
What else I'm told:
Chad changing body:
"Chad Johnson is ripped. I mean as far as seeing a physical change in a player from one season to the next I was floored with what Chad has done. I can't believe I'm saying this but he looks Terrell Owens-ish. Kudos to Chad, as he has made a serious effort to increase his size and strength this off-season."
Carson tossing the pigskin:
"Friday Carson Palmer was moving quite well and working out in the weight room
Carson, Chad, TJ, and Tab Perry all were on the field Friday for about a half hour. Carson was throwing the ball from a standing position (no drop backs etc.). Carson looked well in throwing the short balls to the receivers, however his mobility is still very limited but coming along. The picture of him throwing though made everyone feel much better and definitely raised the spirits of everyone around. The team plans to have Carson throw periodically to keep his reps up and work on his arm strength. I was told they hope to see some mobility while throwing from him some time in June. He currently is scheduled to be throwing with full mobility by August 7th. If all goes well he would be positioned to return full speed by September 11th which is one week prior to the Browns game."
More notes:
Craig Krenzel also looked very sharp throwing the ball on medium to long routes Friday.
He connected with Chad downfield on a 50 yard bomb that was a textbook throw.
Craig was very impressive. He also looks like he bulked up considerably from 2005.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
then he may be rushed into action quicker than expected, ala Barry Bonds.
....or needed, ala ben roethlisberger when the bengals actually squeaked out a win against the steelers? even though ben did pass for a career high 380+ yds (silencing the critics)? although it was more of a broken thumb that affected ben than his knee surgery, if he had just signed a $100 mil contract id rather be safe than sorry. as a steelerfan i say bring carson back asap.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #26
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I think that Jamie Martin would be the best option for the Bengals - Harrington wont accept the demotion to back-up too well I wouldnt imagine.

Again, sometimes its difficult to judge a player who has only been part of a franchise that is as bad as Detriot - the work ethic and team unity seem sorely lacking in that locker room.

I think somewhere like Buffalo would be a better bet - Losman has not greatly impressed in his time as starter there and Harrington would add some real competition for the QB starters jersey.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 AM   #27
DiggetyDank
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2252

I think that Palmer's injury is way worse than the Bungholes are letting on, but one thing makes me wonder - if they know this, why the hell would they get rid of Kitna? He was one of the best backups in the league. I'm assuming of course that the Bengals front office isn't stupid - after all, they've always made the right personnel moves in the past. Is Akili Smith still available?
DiggetyDank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #28
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

I think Kitna kinda wanted to get out there as well.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #29
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggetyDank
I think that Palmer's injury is way worse than the Bungholes are letting on, but one thing makes me wonder - if they know this, why the hell would they get rid of Kitna? He was one of the best backups in the league. I'm assuming of course that the Bengals front office isn't stupid - after all, they've always made the right personnel moves in the past. Is Akili Smith still available?
So what exactly makes you think that Palmers injury is 'way worse' than the Bengals are letting on?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #30
DiggetyDank
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2252

That first statement from the doctor was telling, as has been said before. The damage control after the fact was interesting as well.

Midnight: Yeah, I guess you're right about that. I doubt he's going to be happy competing with McCown though, especially if he wins the starting job.
DiggetyDank is offline   Reply With Quote