Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Head to head: Steelers WR Mike Wallace vs. Jets CB Darrelle Revis

Head to head: Steelers WR Mike Wallace vs. Jets CB Darrelle Revis
Sunday, December 19, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10353/1111687-66.stm

Even before he became head coach of the New York Jets, Rex Ryan knew how tough it was to play at Heinz Field. He said he even saw some players come down with a mysterious ailment before the game because they didn't want to face the Steelers at home.

"I have seen a lot of guys come down with the Pittsburgh flu back in the day," said Ryan, who was defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens before joining the Jets. "All of a sudden, a guy won't play in the game, saying, 'Ah, I'm just not right.' I've seen it happen because they don't want to face Pittsburgh."

Then he added, "I know we will have a whole plane full of guys coming down there and it is going to be a great atmosphere and that is old-fashioned football."

One of those players is cornerback Darrelle Revis, who has emerged as one of the best, if not the best, at his position in the National Football League.

"Revis Island" is the name given for where opposing wide receivers get stranded after being matched in single coverage by Revis, who played at Pitt and Aliquippa High School. It was a nickname bestowed on Revis by his coach, who calls him, simply, "the best in the game. ... It's not even close."

Revis does not have an interception this season and has only 11 passes defensed because opposing quarterbacks don't throw in his direction.

"I assume he is that good because I don't have a lot of video evidence because nobody is throwing the ball in his direction," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

The Jets have maybe the best pair of cornerbacks in the league with Revis and Antonio Cromartie, and they usually match each corner on a specific receiver.

Cromartie has more straight-line speed and could be assigned WR Mike Wallace, who leads AFC receivers with a per-catch average of 20.6 yards and has a team-high eight touchdown receptions. But, even if he is matched against Revis, Wallace doesn't seem to mind.

"He's just another guy," Wallace said. "He's a real good player, but I'm a real good player myself. I don't care about nobody out there. I don't back down from nobody. Whoever comes out and lines up, that's who I'm going against the whole day."

Wallace has 11 catches of 33 yards or longer, including four of 50 yards or longer, but he has just one in the past three games because defenses are using safety help to guard against the big play. Revis, though, never gets any help.

"We'll see if he can or not," Wallace said when asked in Revis can cover him deep. "Like I said, I really don't care who it is. I don't back down from nobody. Never have, never will."

The Steelers have never shied away from throwing at a top cornerback, even targeting Denver's Champ Bailey several times in the AFC championship in 2005. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said they rarely, if ever, adjust their game plan to stay away from a player, though they have been judicious about when and where to attack.

"In 17 years, I don't care who's over there ... you start throwing away from people, you start throwing into coverage and then you have problems," Arians said. "You can't dodge players, whether it's Deion Sanders or whoever. You take your reads and throw it where it belongs."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10353...#ixzz18XH1mXed
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Head to head: Steelers WR Mike Wallace vs. Jets CB Darrelle Revis

I pretty much got $120 riding on Mike Wallace. I'm in the semi's in my fantasy league with him, Hines Ward and Brandon Lloyd as my receivers. I'm not expecting much from the latter unfortunately with Tebow starting. Rivers gave me a pretty good statline but the guy I'm facing has Vick and D. Jackson. I hope Wallace gets 3 TDs.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote