Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers preview: Don't expect much offense vs. Jets today

Steelers preview: Don't expect much offense vs. Jets today
Published: Sunday, December 19, 2010, 2:00 AM
By The Patriot-News
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews..._expect_m.html

The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Miami Dolphins 3-0 in a mud bath Nov. 26, 2007 at Heinz Field, the club's lowest offensive output in a victory throughout 77 pro football seasons.

With the way the Steelers (10-3) and New York Jets (9-4) offenses have been misfiring lately and how well they play defense, that low score could be challenged when the two meet today at 4:15 p.m. at Heinz Field.

"It's No. 3 against No. 4,'' Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor said. "They're No. 3, and we're No. 4. Ever since Coach Rex (Ryan) has been over there, one thing they've had is a good defense. And that's the same thing with us.

"We've always had a good defense, so it should be competitive on both sides on defense. It's going to be a good game to watch on defense, I guess, if you like defense. And I know our fans like good, defensive football games.''

The Steelers have scored just two offensive touchdowns since hammering Oakland four games ago, while the Jets have not scored a touchdown in two straight losses. So, neither team has lit up the scoreboard lately.

"We want to score touchdowns,'' Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "In the recent past, we haven't done as well as we'd like. There are a myriad of reasons, usually centered around execution and detail work, (so) we're going to work toward getting better this week.''

Steelers place-kicker Shaun Suisham is 9-for-9 since replacing Jeff Reed for the past four games. He's also been perfect on conversion kicks, so he's certainly been an offensive weapon thus far. The Jets have had their red-zone problems as well, and Coach Rex Ryan talked about his team's issues near the goal line.

"I'm concerned with the fact that we have to go up against Pittsburgh, so that doesn't help matters,'' Ryan said. "That's for sure. What I've talked to our team about, is that (the Steelers) will be the best defense that we've faced all year. So, it's a huge challenge. But we've struggled the last several games

"We have talent, but we have to find a way to get the ball into our playmakers hands and protect our quarterback better and being able to get some running game going. But against the Steelers, they've given up a whopping 60 yards a game, so rushing is not going to be easy. That's for sure.''

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he's well aware that he has had issues scoring on the club's opening drive and acknowledged the red-zone woes as well, so we certainly have to do a better job in those areas.

"We have a game plan, (and) we'll try to execute it,'' Roethlisberger said. "We script the first series, and we usually stick pretty close to it. I've heard that we haven't been too successful during that first series, but I couldn't tell you any stats about it. (But) we know we're struggling a little bit on offense.

"I think we're moving the ball and doing some good things, but I think when we get to the red zone ... I don't know what happens. Maybe I try to score on first down too often, instead of just trying to get yards, but we need not to panic and just have to get some type of points on the board.''

Roethlisberger added that the Steelers likely will need some help from their defense again this week, and he turned to inside linebacker James Farrior and asked for it. Farrior talked about the prospective defensive struggle.

"Looking at the history and knowing that there's going to be two good defenses out there, it's probably going to be a low-scoring game, a tough, defensive battle,'' Farrior said. "But now that I've said that, it's probably going to be a shootout. Hopefully, it'll only be on one end.

"(But) every play is definitely a play that could win the game, and every possession is crucial. Field position is critical, and in these types of games the first mistake could decide the ball game. So, we have to make sure we cause them to make more mistakes than we make.''

Steelers safety Ryan Clark cautioned fans not to jump off the bandwagon too early this week.

"People start to think that teams like that shouldn't score a point on your or you should shut them out, but the way we look at it is that we can't let them have success early and get in a rhythm,'' Clark said. "And if they do have some early success, we can't look at it as a failure by us.

"They're a 9-4 football team no matter how you look at it, and they've had some struggles lately on offense. But when you have a team like that coming in, they're looking for ways to get out of it. And they could play desperate ball. Trick plays, double moves and things like that.

"So, that could make them even more dangerous,'' Clark added. "They clearly have talent. ... Things aren't just clicking for them, but we're wary about that. And we're working that much harder in the film room this week to be ready for anything. And both teams need a win this week.''

Just don't expect much scoring from either team.

DALE GRDNIC, for the Patriot-News
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Steelers preview: Don't expect much offense vs. Jets today

So does this mean i can take a nap during the game.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092
Default Re: Steelers preview: Don't expect much offense vs. Jets today

I think the O is going to be huge today . I say we put up at least 31

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Steel_Bus_24