Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Jets defeat Steelers, 22-17

Jets defeat Steelers, 22-17
Sunday, December 19, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10353/1112066-100.stm

A lack of discipline both on their kickoff team and in the personal foul department cost the Steelers today as the New York Jets came from behind in the second half to upset them, 22-17, at Heinz Field.

A late safety prevented the Steelers from going for a field goal to tie it on their final drive, which reached the New York 10 with nine seconds left. The game ended there on two incomplete passes into the end zone by Ben Roethlisberger.

The Jets, who had not scored a touchdown in their previous two games, struck on the opening kick of the first half when Brad Smith returned it 97 yards for a touchdown. The Steelers eventually went ahead in the third quarter but two personal fouls cost them dearly, as did several play fakes and trick plays on offense by the Jets.

There were no turnovers in the game and the Troy Polamalu-less Steelers managed just one sack on defense.

The Steelers, losing for the third time at home this season, fell to 10-4 and tumbled back into a first-place tie in the AFC North Division with Baltimore. However, should the Steelers win their final two games -- Thursday at home against Carolina and Jan. 2 at Cleveland -- they will win the division and earn the AFC's No. 2 playoff seed and the bye that goes with it in the first round.

The Jets kept on pace for a wildcard playoff berth with a 10-4 record.

The Jets took the final lead on Nick Folk's 34-yard field goal with 10:07 left. The Steelers seemingly had the Jets stopped when, on third down at the New York 46, Polamalu replacement Ryan Mundy missed a clear shot on a sack of quarterback Mark Sanchez, who then completed a 16-yard pass to Braylon Edwards to keep the scoring drive going.

New York added a two-point safety with 2:38 left when Jason Taylor tackled Mewelde Moore for a 3-yard loss in the end zone on the first play of the Steelers' series.

The Steelers snapped a 10-10 halftime lead on the first series of the third quarter when Rashard Mendenhall ran for a 1-yard touchdown, his 10th rushing this season.

But the Jets came back on their first series to tie it, 17-17. With fourth-and-one at the seven, quarterback Mark Sanchez faked a handoff in the power formation and ran around left end with no defender near him for the score. The drive was highlighted by Braylon Edwards' 15-yard catch and then a hit by safety Ryan Clark to Edwards' head, yielding another 15 yards on the roughing call. It gave the Jets a first down at the 16.

Another 15-yard personal foul stymied a good-looking drive for the Steelers late in the third quarter. Ben Roethlisberger completed a 17-yard pass to Mike Wallace for a first down at the 46. However, tackle Flozell Adams was flagged for hitting Darrelle Revis in the head after the play. The Steelers went back to their 32 and the drive died.

Matt Spaeth, starting at tight end for Heath Miller, scored his first touchdown of the season, a 9-yard pass from Roethlisberger in the first period to tie the game 7-7.

The Steelers special teams returned to those bad, old days of '09 when they allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns. Sunday, they allowed one when Brad Smith returned the opening kickoff virtually untouched down the right sideline 97 yards for a touchdown and a 7-0 Jets lead.

After flirting with a score on their second series that died at the Jets' 34, the Steelers tied it midway through the second quarter. Roethlisberger hit Spaeth with a 9-yard touchdown pass on third down. It was the fourth third-down conversion of that 96-yard, 16-play drive. It also was the fifth time Roethlisberger sent a pass Spaeth's way and the first time it was completed.

The Jets, though, took a 10-7 lead on the next series that began at their 37 after a poor kickoff. The big play of the series came when Mark Sanchez hit Braylon Edwards with a 38-yard pass over Bryant McFadden to the 11.

Nick Folk kicked a 25-yard field goal to put the Jets on top 10-7.

The Steelers then tied it with 33 seconds left on the half on Shaun Suisham's 42-yard field goal to cap a 10-play 53-yard drive.

For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10353...#ixzz18bllarhp
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,708 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Jets defeat Steelers, 22-17

I wouldn't say so much that the Jets themselves defeated the Steelers as much as the Officials and their poor officiating and judgement did.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Was that a draw play that resulted in the safety? Who makes a play call like that? My Jr. High football coach knows better than to have a slow developing play in the endzone. BA has gotta go...and King Goodell needs to teach his refs to be consistent...I wonder how many of those early flags that were "picked up" were against the Jets.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

That playcall was terrible. They ran a running play out of shotgun formation and pulled the left guard to the right out of their own endzone. As soon as I saw the shotgun formation I said to my girlfriend that I thought they were going to run some kind of delayed hand off and that I didn't think it was going to end well and I barely finished my sentence as Mewelde Moore got manhandled in the endzone by Jason Taylor.

There is no excuse for that playcall. In the end it didn't cost us the game but it cost us a chance to tie the game and go into overtime. Overall we should have won the game handily but when you have the referees turning a completely blind eye to Antonio Cromartie holding receivers on four separate plays you don't have much of a chance to win football games.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
I wouldn't say so much that the Jets themselves defeated the Steelers as much as the Officials and their poor officiating and judgement did.
Ah but every game we play we have three opponents.

1 The opposing team
2. The refs
3. Roger Goodell
Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Don't forget our other opponent... still bitter Seahawk fans.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Ah but every game we play we have three opponents.

1 The opposing team
2. The refs
3. Roger Goodell
it's really hard to argue against that. Even a Steelers hater, if they watched the game today, couldn't really have an argument otherwise, could they?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
it's really hard to argue against that. Even a Steelers hater, if they watched the game today, couldn't really have an argument otherwise, could they?
Even before today's loss I've thought that the fix is in. Roger Goodell will not permit Big Ben to win a Super Bowl. It's part of Goodell's ever lasting punishment for Big Ben's transgressions for which Big Ben was never even charged.

Add to it that Steelers players had the temerity to speak out against Goodell's new version of "touch" football. It is an intolerable affront to question the Great Goddell and he will never forgive it. Personally I'm on the verge of giving up on the NFL because of Goodell's corruption of the game. It would be difficult for me to do it since I have been watching the Steelers for 46 years but I am right on the edge of doing so.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

mesa, you're by far one of my favorite posters here, but please this kinda post shouldn't be so soon. it's like sticking a blade in my side and twisting it.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
mesa, you're by far one of my favorite posters here, but please this kinda post shouldn't be so soon. it's like sticking a blade in my side and twisting it.
Sorry about that. I'm not happy to be so depressive. I wish I could be more optimistic but I don't believe that the Great Goodell's pride would allow him to hand the Lombardi trophy to Ben and the Steelers.