Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #21
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,618 Times in 759 Posts
Default Re: Is Ben an elite qb or a very good qb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Exact opposite. He's highly underrated. Nobody except Steeler fans put him at a top of a QB list. This guy is playing behind a piss poor line. He buys eons of time for guys who can't get open quick enough (Hines Ward) and is flawless when he calls his own plays. Rex Ryan called a timeout twice at the end of the game and stopped after Bruce got in his play. Before that, Ben marched right down the field in no huddle. Coincidence?

Drives were stalling because of boneheaded penalties, non-calls by the referees and Bruce Arians.
Well said my friend. I wish more Steelers fans shared this ideology. Naysaying Roethlisberger is blasphemy in my book. This guy came out of nowhere to go 15-1 in his first season, and then he won us two super bowls after that. We sure as hell weren't going to win them with Tommy Maddox or Charlie Batch were we? Even more interesting is that fact that Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers were both drafted ahead of Roethlisberger and only little Manning has a ring and I think that was due largely in part to Michael Strahan and a Giants defensive line that was probably the most dominant in the NFL that year.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #22
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt0wns View Post
Everyone forgets we have a crappy O line

Also he is playing with a broken foot 2 different sized shoes etc.

Every 3 step drop he does no one is open

Arians Arians Arians needs to go go go!

Ben is a unique QB I would say he is top 5 in the league
our O-line played great Sunday. they had a very good game
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 AM   #23
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,618 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
our O-line played great Sunday. they had a very good game

Yeah to their credit I thought they played extremely well against a blitzing Jets defense. Mendenhall had one of his better games in what seems like forever.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #24
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

We lose a game and we get the same old B.S. All the negativity. Of course Ben is an elite quarterback. I wouldn't want anyone else back there, including Brady. He suits this team better than anybody else. Ben does what it takes to win, plays injured, makes blocks when neccesary etc. Stats and numbers don't always tell the story.
Game in game out he is asked to play with a sub par O Line, 2 rookie WR, the last 2 games without his TE and he has to do it with the one thing Brady, Mannining don't have , that is an OC who couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery much less co-ordinate an effective offensive game plan.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #25
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
And they were an elite O for the first 4 games of the season? Two 90+ yard drives tonight, and almost a 3rd 90+ yarder to win the game? The first 100 yard rusher against the Jets D since 2009? One special teams play and this is a W instead of a L. I also saw a pretty good no-huddle offense there too.
How many QBs are part of the "Elite"? If it's 5. Ben's not in it at this point. Elite QBs find ways to win games down the stretch, Ben doesn't. He's too inconsistent.
Polamalu find ways to win games week in and week out. Ben doesn't.

Look at what Vick is doing. He hasn't missed 4 games, he's missed 2 seasons. He's much more of a playmaker than Ben, sorry.

Oh and don't give me the weakened by injuries offensive line excuse. The line's been weak for several years, yet Ben continues to play as if he had the Great Wall in front of him.

To me, he's one of the top tier QBs in this League, but Elite, I don't see it.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #26
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

I'm not going to read through all this; I'll just answer the question. Ben is a very good QB, but he's not elite.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Troy Aikman; those are elite QB's.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #27
USWSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17495

Quote:
Originally Posted by figg View Post
What Qb's would you naysayer's take over Ben in the final 2min?
Right now ? As of today...

1. Brady
2.Brees
3.Vick ( spent what 15 months in jail and is running and passing circles around Ben this year !)
4. Peyton Manning
5. Rodgers
6.Rivers
7.Ryan

All these QB's are head are shoulders above Ben this year. Every one of the QB's listed have there own problems with there teams. If you think Ben is playing better then any one of these guys this year your just a homer that cant accept the fact that he is playing below the average NFL Qb this year.
USWSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #28
BGSU A Dub
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17389

The name of this thread would be "Ben is an elite quarterback!" had we won the game yesterday on one of the last few throws.

Face it: Ben took that game in his hands making great throws and gave us the best possible chance to win. I want to see Brady or Manning run for 20+ yards and I want to see Vick shed multiple tackles when he's in the grasp. Ben has the opportunity to make these kind of plays everytime he touches the ball. Also, I don't think any of the 3 mentioned above would play with a broken nose as well as a broken foot.
BGSU A Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #29
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Well to credit Ben on the last drive, we pretty much had that in the bag except
we had confusion between Spaeth and Sanders. It's pretty hard to ask a back up TE and a rookie reciever to play in no huddle 2 minute offense. And what about Sanders is again. He was f'ing held by Cromartie which stopped him from catching the ball in the endzone. And guess what, no flag thrown. I thought the drive was spectacular and only a few QBs could do that against the Jets defense with rookie receivers and back up TEs.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #30
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Its easy to look at stats and say "elite" or "not elite".
I really do think Ben is....although he really missed the boat on those last 2 plays of the game yesterday.

What would Brady, Manning, or Brees play like if they had to play behind our goddawful, non-blocking, penalty-stricken, injured OL ?? And work with Arians? answer that one...
We've all seen how Brady performs when he's under heavy pressure and its not pretty...
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote