Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Backup tight end Spaeth stunned by two key drops

The last play of the game, Holmes would have a hard time catching that pass, Ben should have ran to his right. The play before that, it would have been an acrobatic catch to make also, I doubt Miller could have done it. Spaeth is an award winning tight end, and in college was better than Heath, but he's more of a blocker, I doubt he even knows a lot of the passing plays because of that. If the Special teams didn't allow a kick return at the begining of the game, or if Arians wasn't an idiot calling a draw play in th endzone and getting a saftey, we wouldn't be having this discussion and the Steelers would have won
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I don't blame Spaeth on the last play either, but damn that guy has to catch something every now and then. Horrible play by Spaeth Sunday.
He caught one earlier for a TD. The last one was uncatchable. He's a back up TE, not an elite receiver. I don't think Holmes could have caught that one with 2 feet in bounds either.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I'm a big supporter of Ben's but he downright failed on those last 2 plays. On the last play in particular someone (i have to watch the tape again) was wide open in the middle/back of the end zone for a few seconds. He plain missed that.
You do realize that he doesn't have a bird's eye view of the field, right? The throw to Spaeth might not have made for an easy catch, but it's not impossible. Ben's made that throw (to other receivers) before and it's worked.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
You do realize that he doesn't have a bird's eye view of the field, right? The throw to Spaeth might not have made for an easy catch, but it's not impossible. Ben's made that throw (to other receivers) before and it's worked.
We can't blame a back-up TD for not making another Immaculate Reception. We didn't have to put ourselves in this situation to begin with. There were 59:01 before this happened during which we missed lots of opportunities and didn't make the plays we should have made.
The Jets beat us, period. No ifs, ands or buts.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
You're right but I don't see too many $100M QB passes being thrown either. Most look like they come from a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.
He dropped the game winning td the play before the last. WTF are you talking about!?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
I don't blame Spaeth for the loss. Miller dropped passes and Ward dropped passes too, the last one for Ward being last week.

Coming back to yesterday's loss, what did we do offensively in the first quarter again? NOTHING! This has become a very bad habit.
The first quarter woes are due to the fact that the first 20 or so plays going into each game are scripted by the guy we all want fired,BRUCE!!! Im not blaming Spaeth,that was a good drive with poor use of timeouts and some good end zone D....
Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

I don't blame Spaeth for that, not at all.

Still, I can't help but feel that the majority of the time Heath makes the catch. But that's partially because Heath is the #1 underrated TE in the game.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 AM   #18
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken
You're right but I don't see too many $100M QB passes being thrown either. Most look like they come from a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.

Quote:
I'm a big supporter of Ben's but he downright failed on those last 2 plays. On the last play in particular someone (i have to watch the tape again) was wide open in the middle/back of the end zone for a few seconds. He plain missed that.
you both are retarded.

big ben was the only reason we even had a chance on offense, you idiots try completing all those passes given the o-line and the weather and the broken bones in the body against a blitz happy defense in the jets.

big ben was the reason they even drove 90 some yards down the field, and 96 on a previous drive earlier in the game.
if not for the NO CALL pass interference on sanders, we'd have a 1st and goal at the 1 and you all would be sitting here saying how big ben is clutch in the final seconds.

big ben is the reason the steelers drove aaaall the way down the field against the cards in SB 43 and ur gona say all ben does is fail in clutch moments? MATT "STONE HANDS" SPAETH dropped yet ANOTHER pass, the second to last one in the end zone on that last drive against the jets. watch the replay closely. right through his freakin hands. AGAIN! ben threw a bullet between two jet defenders and it goes right through spaeths hands, and ur going to say ben's throwing like a 2nd and 3rd tier QB??? seriously??? CMON MAN!!!

as if you all know how to play qb, couldnt probly even play in your own back yards, little own in the national football league, where the pro's play.

please save your silly comments and criticism you HATERS.

big ben is awesome!!!!

Last edited by Men of Steel; 12-21-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Men of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
That was Spaeth in the back of the endzone, wide open. Ben didn't see him as he was being flushed to his left. When he finally threw the ball, he should have realized that Spaeth is 6'7" and had about an 8" advantage over the d-back. Why didn't he just throw it up for grabs and hope his big guy could outreach the defender? I've never seen Ben use tall receivers to their advantage. Anyone ever remember Ben throwing a high pass that only Plexiglass could catch?
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
We can't blame a back-up TD for not making another Immaculate Reception. We didn't have to put ourselves in this situation to begin with. There were 59:01 before this happened during which we missed lots of opportunities and didn't make the plays we should have made.
The Jets beat us, period. No ifs, ands or buts.

i didn't say anything about Spaeth making that catch. The ball should have been thrown to someone else or to Spaeth a second or two earlier when he was wide open in the middle. However, it wasn't.....
I'm not even blaming it on the QB. Our S/T and horrendous officiating cost us the game....not this play alone.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote