Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,093 Posts
Default Steelers' hopes rest with Troy Polamalu

PITTSBURGH -- Here is the harsh truth about the Steelers: Their 2010 season rests on the Achilles of Troy Polamalu.

Pittsburgh played without its star safety Sunday and suffered a 22-17 loss to the New York Jets. It was further proof the Steelers (10-4), who clinched a playoff berth despite the loss, won't go very far unless their do-it-all safety gets healthy. Polamalu is expected to rest his Achilles in the final two regular season games and return for the postseason.

Usually in the NFL, the quarterback is the team's most important player, but the Steelers are one of the few exceptions. Pittsburgh went 3-1 without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger earlier this season. Yet, the Steelers are 5-7 without Polamalu dating to last season when he missed 11 games with a knee injury.

Pittsburgh looks ordinary without Polamalu -- and very beatable.

The Steelers didn't play nearly as aggressively on defense against the Jets, who entered the game having not scored an offensive touchdown in nine quarters. That drought ended in this game as Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez completed 65.5 percent of his passes and played efficient and mistake-free football.

The Jets also ran for 106 yards against the Steelers, who entered the game with the top-ranked rushing defense in the league, allowing an average of 60 yards a game.

Entering the game, Pittsburgh had forced 30 turnovers this season, but it didn't get any against the Jets. The Steelers' defense also had only one sack, which is a very important ingredient to their success.

"[The game] is not really called differently," Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said. "It's just sometimes it looks real different when [Polamalu] is not on the field. That's probably the biggest difference."

Every time Pittsburgh needed a big play this season, Polamalu was there. But when Polamalu wasn't in the lineup against the Jets, the Steelers seemed a step behind. Pittsburgh will have to adjust for the final two games against the Carolina Panthers (2-12) and Cleveland Browns (5-9).

"Is he the best defensive player in the league, according to me? Without a doubt," Steelers safety Ryan Clark said of Polamalu. "Have I ever played with anybody like him? Not even close. But you can't put that all on him. Guys that are on the field have to be accountable."

Pittsburgh probably will beat up on bad teams these next two weeks without Polamalu. But the difference between a quick playoff exit or another deep postseason run starts and ends with No. 43.

Here are some other notes from Pittsburgh's loss to New York:

Big Ben nearly leads comeback: Roethlisberger nearly saved the Steelers with a frantic finish. With 2:08 remaining in the game, Roethlisberger drove the Steelers 82 yards before the offense stalled at New York's 10-yard line as time expired. Roethlisberger completed three passes of 16 yards or more on the drive. He has a history of game-winning drives, including Super Bowl XLIII, but couldn't finish this one.

"I told the guys let's be great," Roethlisberger said of the final drive. "Let's let them talk about the offense. Let's go down the field and score. We got close but not close enough."

Sanders says he was held: Steelers rookie receiver Emmanuel Sanders said he was held by Jets cornerback Dwight Lowery on a potential touchdown pass on the final drive. Roethlisberger threw deep to Sanders in the end zone, and it appeared Lowery slowed Sanders by grabbing his jersey. No flag was thrown.

"Yeah, I think it would have put the ball at the 1-yard line," Sanders said of the play. "It [happened] in the end zone."

Clark reacts to big hit: Clark had the biggest hit of the game on Jets receiver Braylon Edwards, but the play drew a personal foul penalty that cost the Steelers 15 yards. New York went on to score a touchdown on the drive. The call was for a helmet-to-helmet contact, but Clark hit Edwards in the chest. Still, Clark launching himself into Edwards probably will be reviewed by the NFL this week.

"The bad part about it is it hurts the team. I hurt my team with that play," Clark said. "I need to find a better way to go about doing my job to help the team."

Short turnaround: The good news for the Steelers is they can get back in the win column quickly when they play Thursday against Carolina. Despite sharing a the same record as the Baltimore Ravens (10-4), Pittsburgh controls its destiny in terms of winning the AFC North and securing a first-round bye.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-troy-polamalu

Well I guess Troy is the Achilles Heel (pun very intended)
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
USWSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17495
Default Re: Steelers' hopes rest with Troy Polamalu

Troy hurry back...we need the points !
USWSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by USWSteel View Post
Troy hurry back...we need the points !
.......that the offense can't put on the board.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Team wins shouldnt come down to one players presence on the field, but i guess in this case it does.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,377 Times in 3,510 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Team wins shouldnt come down to one players presence on the field, but i guess in this case it does.
When the player is a great one like troy it totally matters.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Can someone explain "launching" to me? I've never even heard this being an issue before this season. Why arent you allowed to jump and hit someone to try and make them drop the ball? I really don't understand this launching bullshit. They act like these defensive backs have rocket boosters in their cleats and fire themselves off like missles at p***y wide receivers.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Yes,we could have beaten the jets without him.Lets just hope we win the last two games and he comes back at full health.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Can someone explain "launching" to me? I've never even heard this being an issue before this season. Why arent you allowed to jump and hit someone to try and make them drop the ball? I really don't understand this launching bullshit. They act like these defensive backs have rocket boosters in their cleats and fire themselves off like missles at p***y wide receivers.
I can fully see launching and leading with the helmet can be dangerous,but in this games "launch" case,it was perfect excecution with the shoulder to the chest.Im hoping there is NO fine. (A bit off topic) Just get healthy troy!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=64661
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=64657

That's not what this thread is about.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,377 Times in 3,510 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote