Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Car Stereo Question

I just bought a 1993 Camry LE today and of course the thing doesn't have a CD player, only a radio/cassette player...this won't work very long. At first I wanted to buy a new car stereo but I'd have no idea how to install and I really don't want to fork out the cash to get it installed (I'm only 16). I've been considering buying either an audio cassette adapter (little cassette tape that connects to personal cd/mp3 player) or an FM transmitter (a transmitter that connects to cd/mp3 player and broadcasts music on a certain frequency). The only knock I have on the FM transmitter is that the link requires batteries which could add up after a while (again, I'm 16). Anyone had any experience with either or have any suggestions?
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,522 Posts
Default Re: Car Stereo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
I just bought a 1993 Camry LE today and of course the thing doesn't have a CD player, only a radio/cassette player...this won't work very long. At first I wanted to buy a new car stereo but I'd have no idea how to install and I really don't want to fork out the cash to get it installed (I'm only 16). I've been considering buying either an audio cassette adapter (little cassette tape that connects to personal cd/mp3 player) or an FM transmitter (a transmitter that connects to cd/mp3 player and broadcasts music on a certain frequency). The only knock I have on the FM transmitter is that the link requires batteries which could add up after a while (again, I'm 16). Anyone had any experience with either or have any suggestions?
buy a car with a cd player......
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Quote:

1) The one good thing about the FM transmitter is that you can sit the CD player anywhere. The problem is that the CD player usually needs be connected to the cigarette lighter plug anyway so it's not all that great.

2) The other bad thing about the FM transmitter is that it is only as good as you regular radio system. If the antennae is not very good or prone to interference you will not get as good a quality of music.

3) The good thing about the tape casette converter is that it is relatively inexpensive and has a pretty good music quality in them. I used that system in both my mom's '95 Windstar and my dad's '94 Buick LeSabre when I drove in them. It worked well and I only had to replace the tape in 4 years.

4) A good thing to make sure you have is the cigarette lighter converter/charger for the CD player so that you do not have to constantly change the batteries.

Hope this helps. Peace.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HburgXL06
1) The one good thing about the FM transmitter is that you can sit the CD player anywhere. The problem is that the CD player usually needs be connected to the cigarette lighter plug anyway so it's not all that great.

2) The other bad thing about the FM transmitter is that it is only as good as you regular radio system. If the antennae is not very good or prone to interference you will not get as good a quality of music.

3) The good thing about the tape casette converter is that it is relatively inexpensive and has a pretty good music quality in them. I used that system in both my mom's '95 Windstar and my dad's '94 Buick LeSabre when I drove in them. It worked well and I only had to replace the tape in 4 years.

4) A good thing to make sure you have is the cigarette lighter converter/charger for the CD player so that you do not have to constantly change the batteries.

Hope this helps. Peace.

BuFu
Yeah, I think I'll stick with the cassette adapter, a little more practical and cheaper. Do you have flip/rewind the tape every so often like a regular cassette?

Thanks for the advice, though. Rep points to you.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

It's not all that hard to swap in a new radio. Do a little research into it. Make sure the dimensions of the new one match that of the old and buy an adapter wire harness.

I bought a 95 corolla new. After 3 months of the am/fm radio I put in a new am/fm/cassette. Took about an hour I guess. First time I ever did it too.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'll stick with the cassette adapter, a little more practical and cheaper. Do you have flip/rewind the tape every so often like a regular cassette?

Thanks for the advice, though. Rep points to you.

No you don't. There's no tape in it so nothing to rewind. I have one for a cd I bought years ago. Now I use it on trip for the kids' DVD player. We pipe the sound through the car radio.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm
It's not all that hard to swap in a new radio. Do a little research into it. Make sure the dimensions of the new one match that of the old and buy an adapter wire harness.

I bought a 95 corolla new. After 3 months of the am/fm radio I put in a new am/fm/cassette. Took about an hour I guess. First time I ever did it too.
True, I looked into it and figured it wouldn't be way too difficult to install one, but I won't really have time to fool around with it until this summer so I just wanted a quick fix for right now. Thanks for the insight, though.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

The tape adapter is the best option for the short term. I checked up on cardomain.com for what the dash of a '93 Camry looks like and it does have the typical head unit replacement size. I attached a link that shows a '93 Camry that has had a replaced head unit. A good head unit can be found from $150-$500. All depends one what you are lookin for in the new head unit. If you need any other help, just lemme know and I'll give you any advice I can just from my basic car knowledge. Thanks for the rep points. Peace.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/678420

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote