Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Backup tight end Spaeth stunned by two key drops

Backup tight end Spaeth stunned by two key drops
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_714543.html
By Kevin Gorman
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 20, 2010

Matt Spaeth watched it all slip through his hands, just as Ben Roethlisberger's passes escaped his grasp in the end zone.

The Steelers tight end had a chance to provide a thrilling end to Sunday's game against the New York Jets, to bookend his first touchdown reception of the season with a game-winner in the final nine seconds.

And he dropped the ball -- twice.

A stunned Spaeth was apologetic after the Steelers' 22-17 loss to the Jets at Heinz Field, knowing he could have capped an 82-yard drive in the final 2:08 with a 10-yard touchdown catch.

"I could have been the hero," said Spaeth, starting a second consecutive game for Heath Miller (concussion). "Guys made plays all day, especially on that last drive, and it was my turn to step up and make a play, and I couldn't do it."

A scrambling Roethlisberger looked for his tallest target twice in the final two plays, although the 6-foot-7, 270-pound Spaeth cut in front of intended receiver Emmanuel Sanders in the back of the end zone on second-and-goal from the 10 only to let the pass go through his hands.

"It was a great throw," Spaeth said. "I should have caught it."

With two seconds left, Roethlisberger lofted a pass to Spaeth in the left corner of the end zone, but the tight end bobbled the ball before cornerback Marquice Cole broke up the play as time expired.

Roethlisberger, however, would hear nothing about Spaeth being the goat.

"I would never blame Matt," Roethlisberger said. "I thought he made a great effort. He played a great game today. He made a lot of big-time catches, big-time plays. He did a great job of stepping up, not knowing especially if Heath is going to play. I'll take this one on me because I need to make more big plays. Never blame those guys or anybody else. It's on me."

The Jets had struggled to contain tight ends all season, allowing 100-yard games to New England's Aaron Hernandez (six catches for 101) and Houston's Joel Dreessen (four for 106). Spaeth's 9-yard touchdown catch of a Roethlisberger frozen rope between two defenders capped a 16-play, 96-yard drive to tie the game at 7-7 midway through the first quarter, but he finished with just three receptions for 27 yards despite being targeted eight times.

Spaeth was hoping for a big game but didn't deliver what Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would call a "Heath-like" performance.

"Heath's an unbelievable player. We missed him today, but I felt like I had a good chance to step up and fill in his shoes," Spaeth said. "Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way in the end."

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Backup tight end Spaeth stunned by two key drops

Spaeth couldn't do squat on the last play, sorry. It's not his fault. It would take more than a Santonio Holmes SB kind of catch to get a TD in these conditions
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

He did though block Sanders in the endzone on 2nd down.
I miss Heath.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Spaeth had some drops in the cinncy game also. They weren't all great passes, but Miller (along with Hines) always seem to come up with a big catch to keep a drive alove.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
Spaeth had some drops in the cinncy game also. They weren't all great passes, but Miller (along with Hines) always seem to come up with a big catch to keep a drive alove.
I don't blame Spaeth for the loss. Miller dropped passes and Ward dropped passes too, the last one for Ward being last week.

Coming back to yesterday's loss, what did we do offensively in the first quarter again? NOTHING! This has become a very bad habit.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
I don't blame Spaeth for the loss. Miller dropped passes and Ward dropped passes too, the last one for Ward being last week.

Coming back to yesterday's loss, what did we do offensively in the first quarter again? NOTHING! This has become a very bad habit.
I made a thread asking questions about problems you stated.

Ward doesn't drop the amount of passes as Spaeth. For being a "backup" he's ok
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i don't blame Spaeth for the last play of the game drop...that was nearly impossible to actually catch. But he did have a couple key drops during the course of the game. In fact, at one point, i said "stop throwing the god***n ball to him".
Either way, if you want to keep your job in the NFL, you have to start catching the ball. This isn't the 1st time.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i don't blame Spaeth for the last play of the game drop...that was nearly impossible to actually catch. But he did have a couple key drops during the course of the game. In fact, at one point, i said "stop throwing the god***n ball to him".
Either way, if you want to keep your job in the NFL, you have to start catching the ball. This isn't the 1st time.
You're right but I don't see too many $100M QB passes being thrown either. Most look like they come from a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
You're right but I don't see too many $100M QB passes being thrown either. Most look like they come from a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.
I'm a big supporter of Ben's but he downright failed on those last 2 plays. On the last play in particular someone (i have to watch the tape again) was wide open in the middle/back of the end zone for a few seconds. He plain missed that.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I don't blame Spaeth on the last play either, but damn that guy has to catch something every now and then. Horrible play by Spaeth Sunday.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote