Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Is Super Bowl in Steelers future?

Is Super Bowl in Steelers future?
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...teelers-future
Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:15 AM
Written by Bob Smizik
E-mail Print PDF

One of my more vivid memories of the approximately 25 years I covered the Steelers as a columnist occurred off the field. It was around 8 p.m. on Sept. 9, 2001, two days before the world would change forever. But we didn’t know that as we left the press box in Jacksonville following a pathetic 21-3 loss to the Jaguars. Our thoughts were on less-worldly matters.

Knowing there were 15 more games of this in front of us, I said to my colleagues, ``Oh, this is going to be a long season.’’

The Steelers went on to go 13-3 and advance to the AFC title game where they lost to the New England Patriots, who had this kid quarterback named Tom Brady.

Moral of this story: You never know what’s going to happen in the NFL.

As a professional journalist (semi-retired division), I’d like to think I am somewhat immune from the ups and downs of a football season. While I might be more geared than some for the crazy bounces in a season, I fall almost as fast for the latest trends.

Which are these:

* Yes, the Steelers lost Sunday to the Jets, but there were an abundance of positives to come out of the game.

The defense played well without Troy Polamalu.
The offensive line had one of its best game.
Rashard Mendenhall ran for 100 yards on only 17 carries.
Ben Roethlisberger still has it.

* The New England Patriots and the same Tom Brady were shown to be mortal and possibly beatable.

* Despite the loss, by winning their next two games, both against bottom-feeder opposition, the Steelers will draw the second seed in the AFC, which means a bye and a chance for their injured to become more sound of body.

In other words, the Steelers are in about as good a position as they’ve been all season to advance to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots clearly are the class of the conference and that’s all the more so because they’ll have home-field advantage in their two playoff games.

Behind the Patriots are a second-tier of teams: the Steelers, the Baltimore Ravens and the New York Jets. One of the first two teams will with the AFC North. The loser, along with the Jets, figure as the wild-card teams.

The winner of the AFC South, Indianapolis or Jacksonville, and the AFC West, Kansas City or San Diego, look to be a level below New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and the Jets.

If form holds, the Steelers will play Baltimore or the Jets in their first playoff game, with the other team going to New England.

So far, so good.

Although the Steelers split with Baltimore and lost to the Jets, I’d take them against either team. Their loss to Baltimore was without Roethlisberger. Their loss to the Jets was without Polamalu and tight end Heath Miller. Both figure to be healthy for the playoffs and are key players for the Steelers.

Which, if form holds, takes the Steelers to Foxboro for the AFC title game. Considering that Brady picked apart the Steelers, 39-26 on Nov. 14 at Heinz Field, in a game that wasn’t nearly that close, the Steelers are in trouble.

But not defeated.

It’s true, the Patriots recently have whipped the Steelers and crushed the Jets and Chicago Bears. But they also lost in Week 2 to the Jets and in Week 9 to Cleveland by the preposterous score of 34-14, as journeyman Peyton Hillis rumbled for 184 yards. And they were pushed to the limit Sunday at home against Green Bay, which was without its starting quarterback.

They are an excellent team but yet to pass the test of greatness. They can be beaten. Brady has toyed with the Steelers so many times that their day may finally be due.

And, of course, it might never come.

But the message is this: The Steelers are not favored to play in the Super Bowl, but they have the ability to get there.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
rrage
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15072
Default Re: Is Super Bowl in Steelers future?

They have just as good a chance as the Patriots to get to the big dance but their offensive & defensive game plan has to be adjusted after half times. If these changes arent done then we're done, period.
rrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,201 Times in 535 Posts

This guy has been reading my mind.

I've been thinking and saying the same things for the last month or so.

We;ll see...
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
caseyviator
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17468

against the pats ...hummm what to do what to do???
well lets really rush the passer !!!! i mean balls out and let the chips fall...let do everything we normally do the opposit of wen we played them last time...i mean cleveland !!!!!!!!!!it really cant cause we were terrible the last few times we played them....

on offense we must think of new ways and new plays to RUN THE FOOTBALL, COPYCAT WHAT THE BROWNS DID!!! ON O AND D...HAVE EVERYBODY STANDIN UP ON DEFENSE CEPT CASEY.... try it it just mite work..

other wise it 36-20 game and were done.

like isaid copycat cleveland they beat them in all phases of the game
caseyviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,008 Times in 3,166 Posts

Smizik must have been drinking heavily during the Jets game and been depressed with a hangover when he wrote his first post-Jets game blog post in which he pretty much said the Steelers are doomed to failure in the post-season

Steelers lose to Jets, 22-17

Instead of peaking at the right time, the Steelers are going backwards at the wrong time. ...

[W]ith this sluggish offense, the Super Bowl seems a million miles away.
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...-to-jets-22-17

He has become more cheerfully manic this week once the hangover apparently went away

Monday looks better than Sunday
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...er-than-sunday

Is Super Bowl in Steelers future?
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...teelers-future

He may swing back to the downside soon enough
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Bob Smizik better hope the Gazette doesn't implement a drug testing policy! He stuck up for Arians a couple weeks ago and I wonder if he watches the games?

With all those "positives" Bob, how do we lose that game?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

ALWAYS in our future!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

I hope im wrong, but i dont see it. But stranger things has happened before. I dont see the fire in their eyes right now. Hope that changes in playoffs.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

The Steelers are already in the playoffs. That gives them as much of a shot as anyone else. You throw the records and past games out the window come playoff time. I just hope they put some wrinkles in that were not there in the first game against New England. I wonder if they played vanilla defense on purpose because Brady did not get touched more than one time in the game. You have to go after him and keep knocking him down. If that doesn't work at least he isn't picking you apart with 5-7 yard passes all game long. Dropping Harrison into coverage instead of lining him up on the opposite side of the line and rush him and Woodley from the same side for a change of pace.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Special teams lost that game to the Jets. A kickoff return for 7 and some key drops by our back up tight end. Other wise we win the game. Offense was looked better than it has. Good running game, good protection by the line. A loss hurts but it sharpens the senses and keeps sharp for the playoffs. Im just sayin.
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote