Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: "Batman" Let's Pirates Have It

After another under .500 season the comfort pillow will be layed by the fans and media. "Well, at least we aren't as bad as the Royals" or "well, we are closer to .500". It's a joke. I will root for this team simply because I was born to root for Pittsburgh teams, but after thirteen years of being complete jokes and watching how ownership and management have handled this ball club, I will be damned if I spend a cent at PNC for tickets, food and drink.

I've seen enough and ending up better than the Royals and getting "closer" to .500 is just not cutting it for me anymore. If those are your expectations and if you happy with that, then that speaks volumes about this ball club and the league in general. It just amazes me how non-vocal the fans and media are towards the ownership of this team.

Bottomline, the ownership is banking on fans coming to PNC because of it's "beautiful view" and it's "great food and drink". Unfortunately, many brain deads are still buying into that shtick.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-23-2006 at 11:04 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #22
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
Yeah...I friggin HATE baseball right now...there is no disparity. The differences between the big money markets and the small clubs are drastic. I haven't been into baseball in over 15 years...

And if you are a Pirates apologist...shame on you for supporting mediocrity for so long. I can understand a few losing seasons here and there, but this is ridiculous.

To say there is NO parity isnt quite acurate but close, there have been 6 different winners in the last 6 years. Something that cant be said for the NFL. Out of those teams the Marlins and D-Backs were lower spending teams compared to the Yanks. The Astros and Giants (in the world series) are not the highest spending teams either. You can eliminate the bottom third, and the rest have a legit shot to win it all. In reality not that much different than the NFL. But the difference is that the difference between that top third and bottom third is much bigger.
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #23
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
After another under .500 season the comfort pillow will be layed by the fans and media. "Well, at least we aren't as bad as the Royals" or "well, we are closer to .500". It's a joke. I will root for this team simply because I was born to root for Pittsburgh teams, but after thirteen years of being complete jokes and watching how ownership and management have handled this ball club, I will be damned if I spend a cent at PNC for tickets, food and drink.

I've seen enough and ending up better than the Royals and getting "closer" to .500 is just not cutting it for me anymore. If those are your expectations and if you happy with that, then that speaks volumes about this ball club and the league in general. It just amazes me how non-vocal the fans and media are towards the ownership of this team.

Bottomline, the ownership is banking on fans coming to PNC because of it's "beautiful view" and it's "great food and drink". Unfortunately, many brain deads are still buying into that shtick.
Im sorry I can't be pessimistic all the time and have to see some kinda good in the team even if it is just being better than the damn Royals.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #24
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

if I were a young GM type, like a Theo Epstein, I would think a dream job/challenge would be to come to baseball town like KC or Pittsburgh and try to construct an organization from the bottom up based on talent evaluation, scouting, and drafting. Its been shown in Oakland and Minnesota that it can be done.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
Im sorry I can't be pessimistic all the time and have to see some kinda good in the team even if it is just being better than the damn Royals.
Strange Dan, why do you think my comments are always towards you? It's about the fans in general in this city. You need to loosen up a little bit and realize that not all my comments are towards you. Trust me, If I wanted to direct comments towards your direction, I would make it clear. Deep breath.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-23-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #26
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Strange Dan, why do you think my comments are always towards you? It's about the fans in general in this city. You need to loosen up a little bit. Just my opinion.
Well I just assumed because recently I have said "Not the .500 season we want but closer." and "at least we aren't the Royals!" and you almost directly quoted me so I put two and two together. I would be willing to say there are other fans that are of the same thought as far as their outlook on the team.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #27
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
I would be willing to say there are other fans that are of the same thought as far as their outlook on the team.
Even though I was not referring to you in particular, I would say that I agree and that's only one problem out of many when dealing with this baseball franchise as a whole. You are obviously in NY, but the fans here have absolutely no out cry over the ownership and management of this team. That's my point. People that are in our city simple deal with the fact that we suck year after year after year after year. It's as if they expect us to suck and then they are content with the fact. Many would argue that they are not, but I have yet to hear an out cry over the fact that this team completely sucks year after year.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #28
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Even though I was not referring to you in particular, I would say that I agree and that's only one problem out of many when dealing with this baseball franchise as a whole. You are obviously in NY, but the fans here have absolutely no out cry over the ownership and management of this team. That's my point. People that are in our city simple deal with the fact that we suck year after year after year after year. It's as if they expect us to suck and then they are content with the fact. Many would argue that they are not, but I have yet to hear an out cry over the fact that this team completely sucks year after year.
While I am not there I do come home on a regular basis and do read and keep up to date with the Pittsburgh news outlets when I update my Pirates site. So I am pretty aware of the mood about the Pirates. Pittsburgh is a football town and will continue to be, there will be an outcry when we have a season like the 6-10 one of a few years ago. But there will be no outcry for the Pirates, likewise there has been and will not be an outcry for the Penguins who have been horrid in the past few years. This is because we are not a baseball town like St. Louis. We may have been at one time as recent as the 60's but the Pirates have been outshawdowed by the Steelers and will never regain the stature as the big name in town.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:44 AM   #29
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

IF, and that's a BIG IF, the Pirates could put together a few winning seasons they could return to a bigger stature. A winning season meaning above .500 and still in the race late in the season. Like you and me there are a ton of people that BLEED black n gold and will happily root for the home teams be it Steelers, Pirates or Pens!! I don't disagree with what Keaton said, it just could have been said at a more appropriate time and place!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #30
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder
IF, and that's a BIG IF, the Pirates could put together a few winning seasons they could return to a bigger stature. A winning season meaning above .500 and still in the race late in the season. Like you and me there are a ton of people that BLEED black n gold and will happily root for the home teams be it Steelers, Pirates or Pens!! I don't disagree with what Keaton said, it just could have been said at a more appropriate time and place!
No doubt and I agree completely. They still get a good crowd every year and they completely stink. Imagine if they made the playoffs what that ball park would look like every night? It's the same with the Penguins. They were still packing a nice crowd while being in last place and missing the playoffs for the last four years. We have the fans. We just don't have the ownership and in baseball, a hard cap or smart ownership.

As for Keaton. He was asked the question. It's not as if he stated those comments out of the clear blue. Personally, I would rather somebody tell me what's really on their mind than listen to the same sugarcoat that we hear from ownership, management and the media year after year. I can't blame a man for saying what's on his mind when asked. I actually respect it.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-24-2006 at 09:23 AM.