Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504
Default Hine Ward ends trip to Korea

Haven't seen this posted anywhere so I thought everyone would prolly want to hear/read bout this.

Football star Ward ends tearful trip to S.Korea

SEOUL (Reuters) - Korean-American football star Hines Ward wound up a trip to
South Korea that saw him play catch with the president and shed tears in public by saying on Tuesday he wants to help mixed-race children in the country.

Pittburgh Steelers' receiver Ward, 30, born to an African-American father and a South Korean mother, became an instant celebrity in South Korea after he won the most valuable player award at this season's Super Bowl.

Ward arrived in South Korea last week with his mother Kim Young-hee. He had not been in the country since he left when he was a little over a year old.

"I will make the struggle to end bi-racial discrimination my chief cause for which I will devote my time and resources, both in the United States and Korea," Ward told a news conference.

His trip raised awareness about the difficult plight of mixed-race children in South Korea, many newspapers said.

"We welcome the Wards' return, but we are also ashamed. It was us who drove them out 30 years ago," the major daily Chosun Ilbo wrote in an editorial last week.

South Korean media reported the government might soon establish laws to make it easier for mixed-race children to become citizens, remove discriminatory barriers for them, while at the same time stepping up financial assistance.

Due to a strict family registry system, a traditionally closed society and a history of leaders speaking of the pride of pure Korean blood, mixed-race children often say they find themselves ostracized in South Korean society.

Ward said he will return to South Korea next month to help set up a foundation to help mixed-race children in the country.

Ward and his mother met several children born to couples where only one parent is Korean. They will return to the United States early on Wednesday.

"If people can accept for who I am being Korean, rather than what I am as a bi-racial athlete, than I know there is hope for the bi-racial kids here in Korea," Ward said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060411/...AwBHNlYwM3NTU-

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Hine Ward ends trip to Korea

espn DID a special yesterday on his trip
Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504
Default Re: Hine Ward ends trip to Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
espn DID a special yesterday on his trip
Didn't hear bout that. Was it any good? Every time I read more about his life and what he is doin I can't help but think what a great man he is. Peace.

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote