Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Dreaming of and Rooting for Best Possible Playoff Draw for Steelers

Dreaming of and Rooting for Best Possible Playoff Draw for Steelers
Posted on December 24, 2010 by ted
Steeler Lounge
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/1...draw-steelers/

The Steelers (11-4) have already clenched a playoff berth and are in excellent shape to be the AFC’s No. 2 seed, thus receiving an ultra-important bye in the wild-card round and a home game in the divisional round.

However, the Patriots (12-2) are clearly the best team in the AFC and a matchup nightmare for Dick LeBeau’s defense so long as Tom Brady is healthy, evident by Brady’s 6-1 career mark as a starter against the Steelers (although that could easily be 3-3 if New England did not steal Steeler signals in two AFC championship games at Heinz Field and yes, I still believe those cheats should have an asterik placed beside two of their three Super Bowl wins).

Moreover, an ideal scenario would have the Steelers not playing the Ravens (10-4) or Chargers (8-6) in the divisional round and playing anyone but the Patriots in the AFC championship game, which would also be at Heinz Field if New England is ousted in the divisional round.

Here is what needs to transpire to give Pittsburgh its best chance of winning a seventh Super Bowl title, because the Steelers would be unlikely to win a conference championship game at a New England squad that has not lost at home since 2006 despite being more down in recent years than the Patriots were in the first half of last decade.

First, obviously Pittsburgh must secure the No. 2 seed and the AFC North title by either (A) winning at Cleveland in week No. 17 or (B) ideally seeing the Browns upset the visiting Ravens this weekend, which would allow Pittsburgh to inactivate or rest most of its key players against the Browns and also make it less likely that Pittsburgh could see Baltimore in the divisional playoffs.

Now, the Steelers can beat the Ravens and would be favored to do so as long as Raven-slayer Ben Roethlisberger is healthy and especially with a potential game at Heinz Field. But the Ravens are the team among the six the Steelers could realistically face in a divisional-round game in Pittsburgh that Steeler fans should least want to face.

In short, here is the order of potential playoff opponents Pittsburgh fans should want to meet in the upcoming AFC playoffs:

1. Jacksonville (8-6) – A nice matchup for both sides of the ball and revenge for the home playoff loss after the 2007 season to a much-better Jaguars squad than this one.

2. Kansas City (9-5) – Run-based offense is a perfect matchup for LeBeau’s defense. The Chiefs are better defensively than the Jaguars, but there is no way this youthful team could come into Pittsburgh and win a second consecutive playoff game this year.

3. Indianapolis (8-6) – I never want to face Peyton Manning, but this injury-laden Colts squad scares me less than any that have made the playoffs with Manning. Stick Ike Taylor on Reggie Wayne and the Steelers have no other matchup problems in what would ideally be a windy blizzard at Heinz Field.

4. New York Jets (10-4) – I know they beat us two weeks ago in Pittsburgh, but that does not happen if Troy Polamalu plays or if we get the pass interference calls that should have been flagged and would be for a home playoff team. The thought of Mark Sanchez coming into Pittsburgh for a playoff game is wonderful and Pittsburgh moved the ball far better than expected against a strong Jets’ defense two weeks ago. This could be a loss for sure, but I would give the Steelers a 65% shot of winning this game, especially with 2-3 weeks rest and the Jets having to win a road game the week before.

5. San Diego (8-6) – Yes, the Steelers own the Chargers, San Diego has absolutely no run game, the injury to Antonio Gates takes away a key weapon, and all their big WRs are actually a good matchup for the Steelers CBs. However, this is the best defense the Chargers have had in recent years and Phillip Rivers would regularly and successfully pick on Steeler CBs Bryant McFadden and William Gay, sort of like any decent NFL QB regularly picks on those two.

6. Baltimore (10-4) – Always a bloodbath against our mirror image. I hate these guys, but respect them so much.

7. New England (12-2) – Steeler fans have too much hubris if they want to see a rematch against a team that dominated Pittsburgh in all facets of the game from start to finish in mid-Novemember at Heinz Field. Yes, Pittsburgh could win at New England, but the odds of doing so would be long.

Currently, this is how teams would be seeded in the AFC playoffs: (1) New England, (2) Pittsburgh, (3) Kansas City, (4) Indianapolis, (5) Baltimore, (6) N.Y. Jets. The negatives of this are that (A) I think both road teams would have a great chance of winning in the wild-card round, meaning Pittsburgh would face Baltimore in the divisional round and (B) the Colts are in the playoffs instead of the Jaguars.

Ideally, this is how teams would be seeded for the playoffs: (1) New England, (2) Pittsburgh, (3) Kansas City, (4) Jacksonville, (5) New York Jets, (6) Baltimore. For this to happen, the Colts would need to lose either at Oakland or at home versus the Titans while Jacksonville wins out, the Ravens lose once (most likely to the Browns) and the Jets win out, because Baltimore has a head-to-head edge over the Jets, and Kansas City wins out, thus keeping the dangerous Chargers out of the playoffs.

This scenario would mean that Baltimore would travel to New England for a divisional playoff game if the Ravens win in the wild-card round, with the Steelers ideally facing Jacksonville. However, even better than the Steelers not playing the Ravens would be that Pittsburgh needs someone to knock of the Pats. Based on personnel matchups, the two teams most capable of doing so would be the Ravens (who won at New England in the playoffs last year) and San Diego.

Of course, Pittsburgh wants San Diego out of the playoffs to improve its chances of reaching an amazing 7th conference championship (i.e., NFL Final Four) in the last 15 years, which would be an amazing accomplishment this year with all the adversity the Steelers have had on and off the field.

Plus, the beauty of the Ravens facing the Pats is even if Baltimore does not win, you know the Ravens will physically beat up New England, giving the Steelers a better shot of winning at Foxboro the following week. Ideally, though, the Steelers and Ravens would meet in an AFC championship for the second time in three seasons and no NFL officials show up so these two badass teams are allowed to play football the way it is supposed to be play, which is what transpired in Jan. 2009.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Dreaming of and Rooting for Best Possible Playoff Draw for Steelers

Bring on whoever.......Its easy to get pounded and to pound a team not fully playing together and dropping 2 tdpasses and throwing a tipped pick 6............
The team right now is ready for any and every one.........
Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

They say "any givin sunday" for a reason. Steelers just don't match up well against the Patriots, nothing to do unless they totally changed the whole team.
The Patriots do not match up well against the Colts, Chargers, Cheifs, and Ravens, so the Steelers have to hope one of those teams beat the Patriots.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I put a similar post about what the best scenario it's for the Pats to get knocked out and I got scolded saying how this isn't a patriots board and my post got deleted. But as you can see from this guys blog entry, who the pats play is very much in the interest of the steelers.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
USWSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17495

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I put a similar post about what the best scenario it's for the Pats to get knocked out and I got scolded saying how this isn't a patriots board and my post got deleted. But as you can see from this guys blog entry, who the pats play is very much in the interest of the steelers.
Why did you post get deleted ?
USWSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
pitt0wns
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15034

I honestly would love another AFC Championship with the Patriots. It would be the best Super Bowl birth to knock them out.
pitt0wns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt0wns View Post
I honestly would love another AFC Championship with the Patriots. It would be the best Super Bowl birth to knock them out.
It sure would.....I witnessed the two ass kickings we took to them in person. The first one was more disapointing because we were clearly the better team!
Old 12-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt0wns View Post
The romantic in you says it would be great for the Steelers to beat the Pats but there is a low chance that the Steelers can beat the Pats in foxboro with a healthy Brady. It would be much better if someone else did it for us.

If the endgame of all this is to win a SB, our best chance to get there is for the Ravens or Chargers to beat them.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Let's keep talking trash and bashing our team ... let them know we don't have any faith in them to beat the Cheatriots. This will give them more motivation and that "it's us against the world" attitude. They thrive on this crap!

Plus, I disagree with most of you ... I do NOT want another team to take out those cheating #@^_! I want our team to go into THEIR house and take them out! How sweet it would be! I really think we have the talent to do it, we just have to play our style of football.

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
The romantic in you says it would be great for the Steelers to beat the Pats but there is a low chance that the Steelers can beat the Pats in foxboro with a healthy Brady. It would be much better if someone else did it for us.

If the endgame of all this is to win a SB, our best chance to get there is for the Ravens or Chargers to beat them.
I agree with both sides of this discussion, but with separate halves of my personality.

The "romantic side", as ETL succinctly named it, wants to go to title #7 via Foxboro. As I have said in other threads-- I don't think there are too many things in this world (besides $1 million and Gianna Michaels if I were not married) that I want for Christmas more, than to see Polamalu grab a pick-6 from Brady, and then slam that shiate in the Pat's endzone.

But the realistic side of me says that going through Foxboro is NOT our ideal scenario, and gives us the least chance of nabbing #7 this year.

But to make my own prediction, I think that if we have to play them again, things wil go a little differently. Here's why (yes, I realize these are ALL purely circumstantial and some homeristic crap, but....):

1) Vanilla defense - when we played them last month, it looked like Lebeau was trying to not show anything. We only rushed 3 all game and played a soft zone the whole game. The exact oppposite of what you have to do to beat Brady.

2) The end of the 4th Quarter - showed what our defense is REALLLY capable of against Brady. If you recalll, we started bringing the heat in the 4th quarter, and the result? Brady did not complete another pass, got penalized for throwing it away to nobody, and ate the ground a few times. They are VERY beatable, with the right gameplan.

3) Jets and Bears used the same defense as we did - I think some of these teams are playing Belicheck's little game, of just "poking the bear" during the regular season, playing possum, knowing any of us might be seeing them again. Also, at the point we played the Pats, they had just revamped their offense, ditched Moss a week or two prior, and we had no tapes to study on their new offense. Lebeau was "feeling them out".

4) The same way it took a while for the Pat's young defense to start bringing it all together, I think our offense is having a late-season epiphany. Sanders and Brown are starting to be playmakers (so much so, that Wallace and Sanders have become Ben's favorite targets instead of Ward), and our Oline is starting to gel. It seems late for our offense to "get it together", but keep in mind, we were without Ben for the first month of the season. We are just now hitting our mid-season form and stride on offense.

5) a healthy team - if we get the 2nd seed. We will have a 100% healthy Polamalu, a healthy (hopefully) Aaron Smith, and a healthier team in general than we have had all season.

6) the 2005 Colts - we bamboozled the Colts in 2005 in similar fashion. We played a very vanilla defense agsint them in the regular season, and Peyton Forehead carved our defense up like a turkey 26-7, to conclude our 7-5 midseason losing streak. However, when we went up against them in the postseason, Lebeau released the hounds, and poor, poor Peyton couldn't even complete a pass until almost halftime and they were already down 14-0. Peezy and Polamalu were in his face all night, and THAT is what Tom Brady really needs to set him straight.

Just some food for thought...