Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Wallace adding more tricks to arsenal

View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Wallace adding more tricks to arsenal

December 24th, 2010

The “one-trick pony,” as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin calls him, is fifth in the NFL in receiving yards (1,152) and second in yards per catch (20.2).

Mike Wallace’s team-leading ninth touchdown catch Thursday night came on yet another big play from the second-year man with the sublime speed.

But it was anything but Wallace running past an overmatched cornerback and then hauling in a long pass.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Wallace recognized a linebacker blitz on the play that came early in the second quarter with the Steelers leading 3-0.

And Roethlisberger flipped a short pass to Wallace, who made the Panthers pay for playing so far off him by simply running through their secondary on the way to the end zone.

“(Opposing teams) don’t really want me to go deep anymore,” Wallace said after his sixth 100-yard receiving game of the season. “Guys are really far off and they always have a safety over top so it’s kind of hard for me to get deep but you’ve got to always be able to do different things. If you can’t get it one way you’ve got to work hard to get it another way and that’s what I try to do.”

He has done it -– and specifically become a more complete wide receiver -– with such aplomb that Wallace may well make the Pro Bowl.

If nothing else, Wallace has outgrown the “one-trick pony” nickname.

Not that Tomlin, who knows a thing or two about motivating players, has any plans to stop using it.

“I like where he is but he is capable of more,” the fourth-year coach said of Wallace. “He’s a young man in development. This guy has a desire to have a complete game.”

The Steelers were comfortable enough with the development that Wallace made as a rookie to trade Santonio Holmes last April.

But they couldn’t have foreseen how smoothly his transition from a No. 3 wide receiver that primarily went deep to the team’s No. 1 wideout has played out.

Even better for the Steelers: Wallace hardly seemed satisfied after tying Yancey Thigpen for second on the team’s all-time list for 100-yard receiving games in a season.

“I had an OK game,” said Wallace, who caught four passes for 104 yards against the Panthers. “I feel like I should have had 200 yards because that’s the type of player I am and I always want to be the best. I’m always going to search for the ceiling and never be satisfied.”

As for that "one-trick pony" moniker, Wallace smiled and said, “That’s going to be by name for the rest of the year. I don’t care what I do, I don’t think it’s going to change. Hopefully next year I can get me a new name.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Re: Wallace adding more tricks to arsenal

Personally, I'd like to see that old trick more often. More bombs.

Just imagine what his stats would look like if Ben wasn't missing for those 4 games.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post

Just imagine what his stats would look like if Ben wasn't missing for those 4 games.
He is now a threat at all levels, which is a lot more important than being a "one trick pony"
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post

and the number of times Ben missed Wallace while he was open deep. i love Ben, but his deep ball accuracy is the weakest part of his game
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Good riddance Santokio. Don't miss you. Wallace will be unstoppable in the next few years while you will still be dropping every other pass thrown to you. Sure, there will be flashes of brilliance from Holmes, but he will disappoint just as much. Him and Braylon Edwards deserve each other.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
and the number of times Ben missed Wallace while he was open deep. i love Ben, but his deep ball accuracy is the weakest part of his game
Yeah...ben has to work on that...well at least he is not throwing picks.

The article is a little misleading because although Wallace is 5th and only 132 off the lead, the other players haven't played this week. He will drop...but hopefully stay in the top 10. Not having Ben definitely hurt him for 3 of the 4 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Good riddance Santokio. Don't miss you. Wallace will be unstoppable in the next few years while you will still be dropping every other pass thrown to you. Sure, there will be flashes of brilliance from Holmes, but he will disappoint just as much. Him and Braylon Edwards deserve each other.
Holmes was geat. I can't stand the tramatic after a non TD catch but that's another story. I just had a sad thought. I was thinking before we would ave never been able to sign Holmes but if Ward retires, we could have. Ward looks like he is on the way out so that would have created extra cash. Hopefully we can lock Wallace down because I think he may be under just a 3 year deal.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

He is clearly making a name for himself.It is exciting and imagine if we had a healthy O-line,with our running game and D,we would be unstoppable!!!Oh yea,I forgot about our kryptonite,BA.........
Old 12-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I saw a stat while watching the game that Wallace is now second in the yards per attempt category. Anyone know who's first? I guess I was kinda surprised by that.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
I saw a stat while watching the game that Wallace is now second in the yards per attempt category. Anyone know who's first? I guess I was kinda surprised by that.
Not sure, will have to check. I am assuming it is some other speedster like the Eagles' DeShaun Jackson or something.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
He is now a threat at all levels, which is a lot more important than being a "one trick pony"
I have been debating this one to myself a lot lately.

Sure, it is better for Mike Wallace and his career to become a "compete receiver", but for our team, I think we would benefit most by getting Emmanuel Sanders up to speed as our Holmes replacement, and keep Wallace in the slot where he can continue to humiliate nickel and dime backs for 40 yards a pop.

His greatest asset is his blazing speed and acceleration. Maybe trying to make him into a "complete receiver" could be considered a case of trying to smash the sqaure peg into the round hole?