Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default On the Steelers: Rooting for Browns unpleasant chore

On the Steelers: Rooting for Browns unpleasant chore
Saturday, December 25, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10359/1113393-66.stm

It's so distasteful to some Steelers, rooting for the Cleveland Browns.

That goes too far, even for a rookie center.

"We're not really paying attention to that," said Maurkice Pouncey "We're not going to put our season in somebody else's hands. We have to worry about what we got to do and finish out the season strong."

That's the thing about the game Sunday between the Baltimore Ravens and Browns in Cleveland. Should the Ravens lose, the Steelers will not have to worry about what they must do; the regular season essentially will be a wrap. A Ravens loss would give the Steelers the AFC North Division championship, the No. 2 seed in the conference and the first-round playoff bye that goes with it.

They would not play another meaningful game until the weekend of Jan. 15-16.

"It would be nice, man, but we have to worry about us," Pouncey said. "We can't depend on Baltimore to lose a game."

The Steelers 27-3 victory Thursday night against Carolina at Heinz Field assured them that they will earn the No. 2 seed if Baltimore loses one of its final two games, or the Steelers win their finale Jan. 2 in Cleveland.

"We have a lot of key guys banged up," said cornerback Bryant McFadden, who left the game briefly Thursday night with a hip bruise after he intercepted a Jimmy Clausen pass.

"That gives us an extra week of just practicing and you don't have to worry about going into a four-quarter ballgame on that Sunday and you get a chance to get guys feeling a lot better for the next week."

If the Ravens lose tomorrow, the Steelers can enter their game against the Browns knowing it means little. They could rest and/or protect some of their starters. Injured players such as Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu could not only use the time off but avoid potentially more injuries or reinjury.

Older players such as James Farrior, Flozell Adams, Hines Ward, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel also could be rested or used sparingly Jan. 2.

"I'm rooting for Cleveland," said Farrior, who, at 35, has a different perspective than the 21-year-old Pouncey. "I'm a Cleveland fan this weekend -- just for this weekend."

Surprisingly, many of his teammates alleged they did not care much what the Browns do tomorrow.

"Who do they play?" Heath Miller asked. Told the Ravens and that the Steelers would lock up the No. 2 seed with a Cleveland victory, Miller shrugged.

"That would be nice, but we're not going to expect anything. We have to take care of business on our end. That Cleveland game is important to us no matter what because we went to continue to improve heading into the playoffs, so it's an important game for us."

That raises the question of whether coach Mike Tomlin would rest anyone in Cleveland even if the bye were secured before Jan. 2. The last time such a scenario unfolded, Tomlin started Roethlisberger in the meaningless 2008 regular-season finale against Cleveland, and the quarterback was carted off Heinz Field on a stretcher.

"Mike's going to make us go out there and play anyway," said Hampton. "It would be different if he was going to rest us the last game if we had it clinched, but we had it clinched before and he made us play, so I wouldn't expect anything different.

"The head man, there's a method behind his madness. Whatever he says we have to go out there and do we go out and do, it don't matter. We support him, we'll go out and get it done."

Roethlisberger, who had his broken nose mashed again Thursday night, might prefer not to play Jan. 2 if the Steelers have the bye wrapped up by then. His broken right foot also is on the mend.

"It is coach's call," said Roethlisberger. "I'm fine with it either way. If he wants me to be in there, and us to be in there, I'm good with that. If he wants to back off and get rest, I'm fine with that as well."
For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10359...#ixzz198YxDrKb

(I can never root for the Clowns but I will root for a tie. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: On the Steelers: Rooting for Browns unpleasant chore

it's alright.. i have no problem rooting for them this week against the Ravens. they get a worse draft pick with every win anyhow.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
NYC_Steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16763

I have no problems rooting for the new Browns to beat the old Browns (Ravens) - esp since it will be to our benefit. Win the division, get the bye. GO BROWNS! (the new Browns, that is ;-) )
NYC_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

its funny...The Brownies are not near the rivalry it used to be because they are horrible year in and out. The Ravens make my skin crawl.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
its funny...The Brownies are not near the rivalry it used to be because they are horrible year in and out. The Ravens make my skin crawl.
Even in in the recent years when the Browns had a winning record, the Steelers still sweeped them... Browns rivalry seems to only be strongs against the Bengals
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

It's kinda like sucking on an old, greasy coin.....awful.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Even in in the recent years when the Browns had a winning record, the Steelers still sweeped them... Browns rivalry seems to only be strongs against the Bengals
They've only had a winning record twice in the last 13 years that I recall-- 2002, and 2007.

Other than that, I will always thank the Steelers for the first game that kinda got me back into watching football seriously again-- the expansion Browns' first home opener in 1997. I remember the Steelers came into their mistake of a stadium that day and shellacked them 41-0. Every Browns' possession it seemed, ended in some sort of a disaster for them-- a sack, forced fumble, or a pick. The Chin had a grin from ear to ear that day LOL (so did I for that matter).
Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
They've only had a winning record twice in the last 13 years that I recall-- 2002, and 2007.

Other than that, I will always thank the Steelers for the first game that kinda got me back into watching football seriously again-- the expansion Browns' first home opener in 1997. I remember the Steelers came into their mistake of a stadium that day and shellacked them 41-0. Every Browns' possession it seemed, ended in some sort of a disaster for them-- a sack, forced fumble, or a pick. The Chin had a grin from ear to ear that day LOL (so did I for that matter).

..... The point was even when they had a winning record, Steelers swepted the series, it doesn't matter how many times they had a winning record lol... It wasn't until last year did the browns beat the steelers for the first time in 6 years.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
fortmemphis
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17288

Looks like the Browns arent going to be able to help us out. They cant stop the Ravens and just tried an onside kick to start the 2nd half that didnt go 10 yards and went out of bounds--oh well. Guess we will have to take care of "bidness" next week ourselves. Was hoping to be able to rest Ben and some others but doesnt look like it will happen

Last edited by fortmemphis; 12-26-2010 at 02:37 PM.
fortmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
stlrz fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10982

Root all you want the officials obviously have there hand in this game.
stlrz fan is offline   Reply With Quote