Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420
Default Re: Parker trying to get new deal

Honestly I hope he gets signe and I don't care who it is by I have him in my keeper league and got him in the 15th round
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

This more than anything shows the chess match that the front office has to contend with every year. Pay Willie peanuts and keep him hungry for next year? But what if he performs and wants a huge contract? Does 2 years of production make him worth the extra money? (Actually, I prefer this scenario...underpay him for '06 and have him play his guts out for a big contract next year)

Conversely, the Steelers could sign him long-term to a pretty reasonable deal based on just one seasons production and hope that he's not a flash in the pan. Pay some now and hope, or pay much more later for a proven commodity.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

IMO. Pay him cheap for this year, see what he does and if he performs on a high level, give him the big contract after the season ends. Personally, I want to see what he looks like after having one big year before I see the Steelers blow money on the guy.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-13-2006 at 10:32 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

I really hope they sign Willie to a 4-5 year deal becuase we would get him cheaper over that period if we sign him now.

Three things can happen
1. Willie just keeps getting better and we have an unbelievable bargain over that time frame
2. He plateau's, plays at the same level during that span as he did in 05-06, and at worst we have depth at RB and whether he improves or not, his speed will allow Willie to always be a good change of pace back.... running outside the hashmarks... catching screens... and serving as a homerun threat everytime he touches it.
3. He gets worse.... NFL contracts protect the club if this occurs more than they protect the players.

Sign him.... How many RB's run for 1200 yds in their first season as starters????? I cant think of too many!!!!
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its worth remembering that while 1200 yards is excellent rookie production and 4.7yds is very good also, alot of these stats were complied against very poor opposition.

If you break down his stats against teams with half decent run D, and those without, it tells a fairly significant tale.

Against the poor teams (Tenn, Houston, Cincy, Minnesota, Cleve, and Detroit) he ran for 820 yards at an average of 117yards per game and 6 yards per carry.

Against teams with decent run D (NE, SD, Jax, Balt, Denver etc...) he ran for 514 yards at just 64 yards per game and 3.1 yards per carry.

The fact is Willie made alot of his yardage against poor opposition and then put in a number of games with averages around 2.6ypc against good teams - this is why the Steelers have the upperhand in any negotiations this offseason.

I stick by my opinion, that he has alot of upside but also that his stats from last year flatter him a great deal.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 04-13-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #16
rgleason
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 784

That's a fair argument - Willie's production did taper off vs. the stronger teams. However, although Willie's majority of yards may have come vs lesser teams, I still think he showed enough in some big games :
at Cincy - 18 car, 131 yds (and had a decent performance in the Cincy home loss)
at Minn. 14 car. for 81 (w/ 50 yd run)
Det. 26 for 135
- Minn. and Det. may not be the Steel Curtain, but those were huge games for us, especially the Det. game.

Although nto ready to declare Willie the second coming, I dont think there is any way Willie gets less than 1200 this year if healthy and gets same amount of carries. His upside is huge.

But I mean, for the what he gave us this year, winning a superbowl and everything, am I the only disturbed that this guy is maybe not a Millionaire? Do we got like a million bucks lyign around anywhere that we can just give him please.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #17
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

so he had 81 yards vs minny but had a 50 yard run hmmmmmmmm........that's not very good then if he don't break that he don't get near 50 yards for the game........ and a lot of those yards against the bengals came when the game was already over....... he's not worth a pay day just yet, let him prove himself this year and if he has a good season tender him like you did ike and just make him stay
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason
That's a fair argument - Willie's production did taper off vs. the stronger teams. However, although Willie's majority of yards may have come vs lesser teams, I still think he showed enough in some big games :
at Cincy - 18 car, 131 yds (and had a decent performance in the Cincy home loss)
at Minn. 14 car. for 81 (w/ 50 yd run)
Det. 26 for 135
- Minn. and Det. may not be the Steel Curtain, but those were huge games for us, especially the Det. game.

Although nto ready to declare Willie the second coming, I dont think there is any way Willie gets less than 1200 this year if healthy and gets same amount of carries. His upside is huge.

But I mean, for the what he gave us this year, winning a superbowl and everything, am I the only disturbed that this guy is maybe not a Millionaire? Do we got like a million bucks lyign around anywhere that we can just give him please.
We definitely agree on the upside of Willie Parker.

And although he contributed to the team, I really think that the Pittsburgh success lies mainly with Ben Roethlisberger and his amazing playoff form and the return of the Blitzburgh defense - again mainly in the playoffs when it counted the most.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason
His upside is huge.

its fair to say willie is the poorest guy in the steelers locker room. especially for a guy going into his 3rd year. he makes the absolute minimum which i believe is $230,000 a year and thats before taxes. the steelers gave j. harrison a new 4 year $5.5 mil contract which i think helps establish the price for another undrafted player like w. parker.

i dont think there is a steelerfan alive suggesting he make l.t. or r. bush type money, or even w. dunn/ t.barber money. fair market value for him (right now) is probably less than duce and more than v. haynes, probably 1.75-2 mil/yr.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
We definitely agree on the upside of Willie Parker.

And although he contributed to the team, I really think that the Pittsburgh success lies mainly with Ben Roethlisberger and his amazing playoff form and the return of the Blitzburgh defense - again mainly in the playoffs when it counted the most.

NM
i think a commitment to willie would be a round about way of showing commitment to bens passing capabilities. as opposed to drafting a rb in the 1st round which would show me the steelers were committed to 60-40 run/ pass ratio. a this ratio, though it has worked, needs to be leveled of a bit as ben continues to grow and develop.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote