Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default "Batman" Let's Pirates Have It

Keaton Rips Buc's for being cheap.

Associated Press
Posted: 13 hours ago PITTSBURGH (AP) - Despite being an invited guest of the ballclub, Batman didn't hesitate to take a few swings at the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Before throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at the Pirates' home opener Monday, actor Michael Keaton criticized the team's owners for not spending enough money to field a competitive team.
The Pirates' payroll of $46.87 million represents a jump of about $14 million from last season, yet was the fourth lowest in the majors on opening day. The Pirates, coming off 13 consecutive losing seasons, are 1-7 following an 8-3 loss to the Dodgers on Monday.
Michael Keaton threw out the first pitch at the Pirates-Dodgers game Monday, but not before taking a few shots at Pittsburgh ownership. ( / Associated Press)
"Look, I'd do it, too, if I were a businessman," said Keaton, a suburban Pittsburgh native known for his role as Batman. "But, at some point, you've got to win. I think fans have been gracious. And maybe not vocal enough. Maybe not vociferous enough with their displeasure. That's my opinion."
Keaton compared the Pirates to the Los Angeles Clippers, often cited as the worst team in pro sports during a long streak of terrible seasons that dates to the 1980s. But the Clippers have begun keeping key players, including Elton Brand and Corey Maggette, and adding veterans such as Sam Cassell and Cuttino Mobley and now have a contending team in the NBA Western Conference.
"I fear they will take advantage of the good will of the people who continue to show up," Keaton said of the Pirates. "For my money, that's disrespectful. At some point, you either have to write the check or do something and not assume, well, we're OK and, ultimately, the franchise is valuable, anyway, like Donald Sterling did with the Los Angeles Clippers." Keaton also tweaked the Pirates with his apparel. Rather than wearing a Pirates cap to the ballpark, he wore a No. 86 hat in honor of Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward of the Steelers. The Pirates have been owned since 1996 by a group headed by managing general partner Kevin McClatchy. His main investor is Wheeling, W.Va., newspaper publisher G. Ogden Nutting and his family.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737
Default Re: "Batman" Let's Pirates Have It

Its about time.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Even though his comments won't do any good, that was beautiful....

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-11-2006 at 10:26 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Excellent interview with Michael Keaton and John Steigerwald on the Nightly Sports Call. Personally, I agree with 100% of the interview.

Part 1 and 2 are on the left side and his original comments are the slide to the right.

http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_103083531.html

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-14-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
SID
Water Boy

Member Number: 2234

The Pirates management are taking advantage of the loyalty that Pittsburgers have for their teams. The unfair thing is if we boycott going to the games and the management starts to lose money they will just threaten to leave the city. I wish the people in the city had more say in their teams, its time for the fans to revolt like the Lions fans did last year and let that deadbeat McClatchy know we're sick of it. The all star game would be a good place to do it.

SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID
The Pirates management are taking advantage of the loyalty that Pittsburgers have for their teams. The unfair thing is if we boycott going to the games and the management starts to lose money they will just threaten to leave the city. I wish the people in the city had more say in their teams, its time for the fans to revolt like the Lions fans did last year and let that deadbeat McClatchy know we're sick of it. The all star game would be a good place to do it.
I agree. But what was said in the interview, can you imagine if the Steelers had 12 straight losing seasons? Nevermind not making the playoffs, 12 straight losing seasons. Do you think fans would attend simply to see Heinz Field and how good the food is and how beautiful the views are? Hell no. This city would be on 24/7 lock down and the Rooney's would not be able to leave their Heinz Field offices. The view, good food and imported beer got old for me after realizing that it's the same old ball team under the same old pathetic ownership. Sooner or later, I want to see a good ball team. That's why the ball park was built. To play baseball in. If I wanted good drink, good food and a nice view I would go to the Le'Mont.

If the fans stop attending and they decide to sell the team, we have a buyer in Cuban who stated on many occasions that he would be more than happy to buy the team and keep them here in Pittsburgh. He did an interview on ESPN and stated if he could own one team in franchise sport, it would be the Pirates. If not Cuban, I don't see why any potential buyer would want to move the team. The new owner would already have the most beautiful ball park in baseball and the team still brings in a nice crowd for having one of the most pathetic ball teams in baseball for the last twelve years. Imagine what the attendance would like if we cracked .500 or made the playoffs? Sold out.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-15-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Personally, if I was Keaton I would not have apologized for anything. He was asked a question and he answered it with his own truthful opinion. Should he have lied and spit out B.S.? Then again, I'm sure many are used to listening to Pirate ownership for so long that they would have no problem with Keaton stating "they look great, WE WILL, ownership has done a superb job and Littlefield deserves his yearly extension". It's amazing how much attention this story gets from the fans and media, but the shitty state of the team rarely takes heat. Maybe if the fans and media of this ball team get as pissed at the Nutley's and McClatchy as they did Michael Keaton for his comments things might actually change.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-17-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I agree. But what was said in the interview, can you imagine if the Steelers had 12 straight losing seasons? Nevermind not making the playoffs, 12 straight losing seasons. Do you think fans would attend simply to see Heinz Field and how good the food is and how beautiful the views are? Hell no. This city would be on 24/7 lock down and the Rooney's would not be able to leave their Heinz Field offices. The view, good food and imported beer got old for me after realizing that it's the same old ball team under the same old pathetic ownership. Sooner or later, I want to see a good ball team. That's why the ball park was built. To play baseball in. If I wanted good drink, good food and a nice view I would go to the Le'Mont.

If the fans stop attending and they decide to sell the team, we have a buyer in Cuban who stated on many occasions that he would be more than happy to buy the team and keep them here in Pittsburgh. He did an interview on ESPN and stated if he could own one team in franchise sport, it would be the Pirates. If not Cuban, I don't see why any potential buyer would want to move the team. The new owner would already have the most beautiful ball park in baseball and the team still brings in a nice crowd for having one of the most pathetic ball teams in baseball for the last twelve years. Imagine what the attendance would like if we cracked .500 or made the playoffs? Sold out.
when we hit 30-30 last year we sold out a friggin wed. afternoon businesman special, people want the team to be good, right now to draw a crowd they continualy have to give out stuff ala bobble heads to get people to come to a tuesday night game. Only 2 more years and we break the phillies' mark of futility
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
when we hit 30-30 last year we sold out a friggin wed. afternoon businesman special, people want the team to be good, right now to draw a crowd they continualy have to give out stuff ala bobble heads to get people to come to a tuesday night game. Only 2 more years and we break the phillies' mark of futility
My point exactly. The crowds in both PNC and Mellon have been unbelievable. With the Pens it has been five years, with the Pirates it has been thirteen. At least the NHL made the league better for all teams unless your a Detroit or NYC fan.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Maybe McClatchy will have his head out of his ass after hearing this.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote