Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
rondisco
Water Boy

Member Number: 17556
Default the legend and misconceptions of Troy

I have known Polamalu since his early days of football, and somehow someway, the press got him all wrong. i remember his senior year in high school he could bench 400, clean 325, run a 40 in 4.4 and 360 windmill dunk a basketball. however, he went to such a small school, he really flew under the radar of college recruiters. i remember seeing all these "five-star" athletes gaining national attention, and Troy wasn't even in the discussion. he was recruited by usc only because of an inside phone call by his uncle, who basically vouched that his nephew was worthy of a scholarship. when he arrived at USC, it did not take long for him to start turning heads, but for some reason, the press started painting a Rudy-esque image of him, often saying that he was an over-achiever with "not a lot of speed, size, or strength." okay, i will give them the size thing, but i want to set the record straight: Troy always had freakish speed and strength. in fact, his combine numbers are phenomenal. he ran a 4.35 in the 40, his vert was 43" and he benched 29 reps on the 225 bench test (although he did 35 pre combine). that is nuts. go back through the draft and try to find any athlete who can run as fast, jump as high, and bench as much as Troy. there may be a few faster, perhaps a few who can match his hops, and some stronger, but you will not find any who have such high numbers on all three tests. Troy is truly a freak. unlike most combine freaks, he also has grit, intelligence, instincts, and game speed that may be unmatched.
rondisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323
Default Re: the legend and misconceptions of Troy

He just needs to make it through a season without getting hurt
never looked like an overachiever to me
He has good instincts combined with his athletic ability especially his closing speed makes him a monster
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

The fact that the Steelers of all teams traded up for a sefety tells me Polamalu wasn't "under the radar" coming out of college. He's by far the best defensive player I've ever seen (not old enough to remember the 70's). He's better then Woodson.......

Anyone outside of Steeler fans marvel at the way he changes games and i hope we have more to come.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Woodson was a better cover man.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
And Bradshaw was a better passer

teams didn't come itno a game and say "watch what Woodson is doing", they stayed away, but he wasn't game changing.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Woodson played a different position too, and had different assignments. Woodson was never put out there as a rover like Troy is.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
hmmmmm....maybe that explains why woodson was a cb and troy is a safety ,,,

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Thanks for posting that rondisco!Did you personally know him?Im from the L.A.area (USC country)and my city has more Samoans than the island so I have been following Troy since USC myself and I agree with you.Most Samoans in my area thought he did not get the deserved early attention for that reason,because hes Samoan,not your typical person at that position.Well,just think how all the naysayers and recruiters feel that passed him by!Its funny how threads like this always turn into whos better than who!Troy is a once in a lifetime unique player,he will go down in history as such,there will NEVER be another like him......
Old 12-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
hmmmmm....maybe that explains why woodson was a cb and troy is a safety ,,,
Woodson played both during his career earning a pro bowl trip 7 times as a CB and 4 times as a safety. I think that is what he meant by better cover man. Woodson could play either equally well whereas I think troy is more a natural fit at safety and wouldn't cover as well as woodson.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Balls of Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 13449

So is it true he can walk on water?
Balls of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote