Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default To Run or not to Run

We tend to hijack topics with this argument. I'm surprised to see fellow fans argue that they feel this team is built for the passing game and would like to see us throw and get away from what they perceive as a struggling ground game.

Make your points!

Why we need to run IMO

I think other then Moore, we have some really good backs (in spite of a failure to use a true FB)

Late in the season it just seems like the natural thing to do in the burgh

AFC North is a tough defensive division. A lopsided game plan seems to set up your QB for disaster.

TOP and controlling the clock
Old 12-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
Default Re: To Run or not to Run

we need to run more...but not arians's boneheaded way of running (IE swap the rb every other down and only run up the middle). We need to just leave Mendy in and let him do his thing, and call some more outside runs, off tackles, pitches, etc.

and NO MORE DRAWS, the draw works like once every 10 tries, not just for us its the most retarded run play for ANY team in the NFL to call, its a wasted play

Oh and we need to run out of the Iform more. IDC what Arians thinks of a FB, having that blocker does wonders for the run game that for some reason nobody on the Steelers seems to understand.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

ABSOLUTELY we need to run and give the ball to Redman when we rest Mendy, NOT Moore!!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

We are ranked 11th in rushing. And only 1 yard/game separates us and 7th ranked Atlanta.
To put that into perspective, that's higher than teams like Baltimore, Cleveland, Carolina, Miami, who are perceived to be good running teams.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

I think running the ball is always a good idea but we are not built to be a "run first" offense right now. With a weakened and often inconsistent O-line, we're in no real position to present ourselves to other teams as a running offense.

But we DO have quite a few very capable receivers and I think that we need to use them as a way to SET UP a running game in more of a West Coast style. If we can sell a short to medium length passing game as a viable threat that has to be respected, it will take a great deal of pressure off the O-line. Running plays will be more successful if we go from passing formations because opponents will have to respect the "pass-first" option.

Green Bay does a nice job with this format and even though they present a decent running game, they're basically a West Coast style team overall.

I know that the Steeler purists will find a million reasons not to agree with this because to them, anything other than three yards and a cloud of dust just isn't "Steeler Football". But the reality is that we make a better passing team than a running team right now and to me, it's a lot easier to play to your strengths than it is to try to live up to some image when you don't have the personnel to make that happen.

In other words, why try to push a piece of spaghetti along the floor when you could just throw it across the room?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I can't help but wonder what Mendy would be like if he played a full game. I remember the days of Bettis ... the dude would just keep getting stronger and stronger as the clock ticked. His best running came late in the game when defenses were worn down and Bettis was fired up. I just have a feeling that Mendy has that same style and would run stronger later in the game. Sure would be nice to put it to the test. I'm just sayin'.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
I can't help but wonder what Mendy would be like if he played a full game. I remember the days of Bettis ... the dude would just keep getting stronger and stronger as the clock ticked. His best running came late in the game when defenses were worn down and Bettis was fired up. I just have a feeling that Mendy has that same style and would run stronger later in the game. Sure would be nice to put it to the test. I'm just sayin'.
I agree ....Mendy is not even broke in yet!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Pass, Pass and maybe some more passing. After that works, pass some more.

Run second, Pass first. We started out that way against the Panthers and we had success. the def's need to play back on the heals to bltiz us less. We need to go no huddle, with some short passes to get them tired early and back off. Than when they back off, mix it up more with the run.

Green Bay has zero running game this year with grant out, Jackson couldn't run to the store fo a loaf of bread without trippng.

Steeler football is winning comes first, not the run no more. If you try to run agaisnt the Pats and should they shut you down, you could be down 14-0 in the first Q. You need to go with what works, not go with something because that is what we are about.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Pass, Pass and maybe some more passing. After that works, pass some more.

Run second, Pass first. We started out that way against the Panthers and we had success. the def's need to play back on the heals to bltiz us less. We need to go no huddle, with some short passes to get them tired early and back off. Than when they back off, mix it up more with the run.

Green Bay has zero running game this year with grant out, Jackson couldn't run to the store fo a loaf of bread without trippng.

Steeler football is winning comes first, not the run no more. If you try to run agaisnt the Pats and should they shut you down, you could be down 14-0 in the first Q. You need to go with what works, not go with something because that is what we are about.
The Panthers placed 8 in the box, 1st quarter we ran Mendenhall 4 times (one for 34 yards?)

Great philosophy against the Panthers.

Against the Jets we went with your "winning football"

Mendenhall 5.9 yds a carry went absent to make way for 3 and out passing football leading to a tying td by Sanchez.

I tried to find the article written last year. Polamalu is quoted criticizing the pass happy offense. His point was the defense isn't designed to be on the field for long periods of time. The wide open offense we were and try to run is all or nothing. Either way our defense was spending too much time on the field. The article was a great read.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
we need to run more...but not arians's boneheaded way of running (IE swap the rb every other down and only run up the middle). We need to just leave Mendy in and let him do his thing, and call some more outside runs, off tackles, pitches, etc.

and NO MORE DRAWS, the draw works like once every 10 tries, not just for us its the most retarded run play for ANY team in the NFL to call, its a wasted play

Oh and we need to run out of the Iform more. IDC what Arians thinks of a FB, having that blocker does wonders for the run game that for some reason nobody on the Steelers seems to understand.
or hopefully we get through the next game with our predictable playcallin, and in the playoffs throw the bait, and switch!! Could Arian's be plotting this all along???? Probably not, but again I'll go back to our last superbowl. Seems like the same senario, same situation. Looking just mediocre in the season, and awesome in the playoffs as players get healthy. DE JA VU
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote