Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: we have the #1 ranked defense now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
Teams can't run on us, so the passing numbers against are somewhat inflated. We may give up some yards between the 20's but we are #1 in scoring D. That is the determining factor in being a great D.
We had 2 poor games this season, New England and New Orleans. Personally I would like a shot at both again.
But if you know they are gonna pass no matter what, Why aren't the Steelers stopping them? In 2008, it was the same thing, dominate the run then once they knew the team was gonna pass, play pass defense, they haven't done that all season. Even if you take out the late passing rallies by teams like the browns and bengals to try to get back in the game, its still been medicore. Not a top 15 defense at all.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

[QUOTE=steeltheone;885287]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
That is a stupid statement.... When eason replaced him last year teams were running all over us!

Hood has been a good surprise filling in for Smith.[/Q
Rushing yards per game against us

2010 ... 64.1
2009 ... 89.9
2008 ... 80.2
2007 ... 89.9 .............. So your response is stupid.
They were No. 2 against the run when Smith tore a biceps muscle against New England, but then gave up 629 yards rushing while losing three of their final four games (grant it this was the end of 2007)

As I said before... Hood is a pretty good replacement. But to call Smith overrated? Does he take plays off? Do you think teams run over him? Inquiring minds want to know?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

The defense can only do so much.

It's all on Ben this year.

He has his chance to kick Lord Goodell right in the balls.

Just do it
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #24
jizzballz
Banned

Member Number: 17482

according to some of your retard posts, minus the jets special team touchdowns against them last year, they would of given up just 13.2 points per game, not 14.6 which puts them better than 2008 steelers defense.

now i see why so many of us americans are stupid and living on the poverty line (isnt it like 30% now LOL)

we also must have the most intelligent fans.
jizzballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #25
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

[QUOTE=Whodis;885452]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post

They were No. 2 against the run when Smith tore a biceps muscle against New England, but then gave up 629 yards rushing while losing three of their final four games (grant it this was the end of 2007)

As I said before... Hood is a pretty good replacement. But to call Smith overrated? Does he take plays off? Do you think teams run over him? Inquiring minds want to know?
You said teams ran through us last year without Smith which was not true. 35 year old players are not near as productive as they were. Just a fact.

Everybody overrates how important he is now. Not 2007.

The only player we cannot go without is TP43 ..Ike and Harrison probably a close second.

It will be nice having him back for The playoffs. But Ziggy should remain the starter.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #26
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
The defense can only do so much.

It's all on Ben this year.

He has his chance to kick Lord Goodell right in the balls.

Just do it
And he will. Ben will be the super bowl mvp. You can take that to the bank

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #27
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyssteelcurtain View Post
And he will. Ben will be the super bowl mvp. You can take that to the bank
I'll believe it when I see it.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #28
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
But if you know they are gonna pass no matter what, Why aren't the Steelers stopping them? In 2008, it was the same thing, dominate the run then once they knew the team was gonna pass, play pass defense, they haven't done that all season. Even if you take out the late passing rallies by teams like the browns and bengals to try to get back in the game, its still been medicore. Not a top 15 defense at all.
I understand the point you are making about the yardage, however, we are leading the NFL in fewest points against, so teams aren't scoring on us. Seems like teams are throwing the short routes, we tackle well. The Ratbirds hit a couple of ong throws against us, that happens to all NFL teams at some point.
Give up 15 less yards/game and we are well into the top ten in pass defense, to be honest the only ranking that matters to me with defense is points allowed and we are #1 in that category.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #29
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

To continue on , 6 of the top 10 teams in pass defense won't be in the playoffs, and #1 is San Diego. We are #14 in yards per game allowed vs pass, take off say 15 per game then we are #6. We have the current #2 D in yards allowed.
We stop the run, this makes teams 1 dimensional, we allow the fewest points. THAT , MY FRIENDS, is why we are the best D in the NFL.
I said it in a different thread, with Troy coming back and possible Aaron I beleive we are going to go on a run in the playoffs with oour D that hasn't been seen since the 2000 Ratbirds
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #30
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I understand the point you are making about the yardage, however, we are leading the NFL in fewest points against, so teams aren't scoring on us. Seems like teams are throwing the short routes, we tackle well. The Ratbirds hit a couple of ong throws against us, that happens to all NFL teams at some point.
Give up 15 less yards/game and we are well into the top ten in pass defense, to be honest the only ranking that matters to me with defense is points allowed and we are #1 in that category.
When you have 2 bottom feeders like Cincinnati and Cleveland that we play twice every year plus, let's be realistic, a schedule this year which wasn't tough, coming after 2009 where we finished 3rd in our Division, it's no wonder our points allowed is low.
What worries me is we struggled both defensively and even more offensively against strong teams and that's the kind of opponent we're gonna face in the playoffs. I hope we show a completely different face offensively otherwise, we will not go very far.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote