Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #21
grward
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 307
Member Number: 7527
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
2007..... Smith ... 11 games 89.9 yds per game average
2008......Smith .....16 games 80.2
2009......Smith.......5 games 89.9
2010......Smith ......7 games 64.1

Wow we really missed 6 million setting on the IR
I would love to compare stats for Woodley, Timmons and Harrison w/ and w/out Smith in the game. I think that's the true story here. Their performance drops off IMO when Smith can't play. Simple reason is b/c the opposing offense doesn't need to double team Smith leaving an extra hat to target Woodley, Timmons, and Harrison. You love stats, how 'bout researching that part of the story.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #22
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Updating Aaron Smith's progress
December, 29, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...miths-progress
3:30
PM ET

By James Walker
Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin offered some good news Wednesday on the rehabilitation of injured defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith
The 12-year veteran, who had triceps surgery in October, has missed the past two months and is trying to make it back in time for the playoffs.

"He had a big workout this morning," Tomlin said on a conference call with the Cleveland media. "We fitted him for a brace, and that's arrived. And as soon as he gets medical clearance he's going to start the practice process, then, of course, ultimately to play.

"But his rehabilitation has been positive. It hasn't been any steps backwards. In fact, we've been pretty enthused and encouraged about his development."

No setbacks is good news for the Steelers. Smith is one of the NFL's most underrated players and a stalwart in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense. Pittsburgh held a roster spot open all year for Smith in hopes that he could return in time to help with the team's postseason run.

The Steelers have a chance to clinch the AFC North division and a first-round bye Sunday with a victory over the Cleveland Browns. A win would give the Steelers two weeks to get key players such as Smith and Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles) healthy.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steeltheone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa.
Posts: 3,281
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6351
Thanks: 199
Thanked 291 Times in 178 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
I would love to compare stats for Woodley, Timmons and Harrison w/ and w/out Smith in the game. I think that's the true story here. Their performance drops off IMO when Smith can't play. Simple reason is b/c the opposing offense doesn't need to double team Smith leaving an extra hat to target Woodley, Timmons, and Harrison. You love stats, how 'bout researching that part of the story.
So if he is so hard to block where are his sacks? Rumor has it..... it takes 2 guys to block Hampton.... so if it takes 2 guys to block Smith that does not leave many blockers left...Wow!
__________________
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #24
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steeltheone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa.
Posts: 3,281
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6351
Thanks: 199
Thanked 291 Times in 178 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
He is one of the TOP DL in the game. If you have to dbl team block any one lineman that is one less blocker available to block our blitzes. He will be the deciding factor against the pats.
A 35 year old slow DE the deciding factor against The Patriots? That is just rediculous...These are the posts that lead me to say he is overrated.
__________________
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #25
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
So if he is so hard to block where are his sacks? Rumor has it..... it takes 2 guys to block Hampton.... so if it takes 2 guys to block Smith that does not leave many blockers left...Wow!
Hampton only plays like 20-25 snaps a game, while Smith will play 70. He plays nose tackle a lot if you ever pay attention. He takes up 2-3 guys on passing downs, and he does get pressure, problem is, as you said in another post, he's very slow, he can't even catch Tom Brady, who couldn't out run a worm.

He's a key player in the defense, way better than most 3-4 ends. But there are a couple better than him, namely Seymour and that one guy from the Ravens, idk his name.

I don't think he's overrated, but it would be nice to find someone as dominant as him, because Hood isn't dominant at all, he wasn't even that great in college.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #26
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steeltheone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa.
Posts: 3,281
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6351
Thanks: 199
Thanked 291 Times in 178 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Hampton only plays like 20-25 snaps a game, while Smith will play 70. He plays nose tackle a lot if you ever pay attention. He takes up 2-3 guys on passing downs, and he does get pressure, problem is, as you said in another post, he's very slow, he can't even catch Tom Brady, who couldn't out run a worm.

He's a key player in the defense, way better than most 3-4 ends. But there are a couple better than him, namely Seymour and that one guy from the Ravens, idk his name.

I don't think he's overrated, but it would be nice to find someone as dominant as him, because Hood isn't dominant at all, he wasn't even that great in college.
But if we lose a DOMINATE player ( Smith) and we keep winning and Defense remains number 1, is he dominate? Yank Troy out for 10 games once..That would prove dominance.

BTW I think Ziggy has done fine. I am disappointed he has not had more sacks.
__________________
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #27
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
But if we lose a DOMINATE player ( Smith) and we keep winning and Defense remains number 1, is he dominate? Yank Troy out for 10 games once..That would prove dominance.

BTW I think Ziggy has done fine. I am disappointed he has not had more sacks.
The passing defense has suffered since he left, and this is not a number 1 defense by far... The run defense is just so dominant that it makes the numbers better. Tampa Bay did the same in 2002, they had such a dominant pass defense, no one noticed that they had a medicore run defense.

Smith even though he isn't great anymore, was gameplanned against. They wouldn't run to that side as much. They'd do more outside runs to get away from him, but into the arms of Troy or Woodley. Smith will help this year, I'm not saying if he retires after this year the defense will get bad. I'm just saying the system was built to have him playing that position, not Hood. If LeBeau or whoever the DC is had an offseason to prepare for a new player, the system will adapt with that, but right now its kind of off without a key piece/
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #28
Whodis
Team Captain
 
Whodis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Posts: 738
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
But if we lose a DOMINATE player ( Smith) and we keep winning and Defense remains number 1, is he dominate? Yank Troy out for 10 games once..That would prove dominance.

BTW I think Ziggy has done fine. I am disappointed he has not had more sacks.
If we lose TP, keep winning and remain a top defense does that mean he's not dominate?

You talk out both ends. Wasn't Troy out a good part of last year and our defense still ranked high (according to your stats)?

Obviously if Hood isn't getting sacks he must be overrated

Mesa: good to hear Smith is coming along
__________________
Whodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #29
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,750
Gender: Male
Member Number: 703
Thanks: 108
Thanked 522 Times in 292 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

HaHa shows what you know about our def, our line is not intended to get pressure and sacks. They are there to clog lanes and take up blockers so our LB's can get the sacks. Smith is a top guy at that as well as collapsing the pocket. And honestly why do you think our coaching staff held a roster spot open, even after all the Oline issues for him if he is so bad?
Rotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steeltheone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa.
Posts: 3,281
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6351
Thanks: 199
Thanked 291 Times in 178 Posts
Default Re: Aaron Smith news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
HaHa shows what you know about our def, our line is not intended to get pressure and sacks. They are there to clog lanes and take up blockers so our LB's can get the sacks. Smith is a top guy at that as well as collapsing the pocket. And honestly why do you think our coaching staff held a roster spot open, even after all the Oline issues for him if he is so bad?
I don't think Smith is so bad, just overrated esp at 6.8 mill

Just to even compare a 35 year old slow players absence with Troy's absence is an insult to Troy.

Hood is a disappointment because he was a number 1 pick. But again i'll take his 1.9 mill production over Smith at 6.8 any day of the week. We need that for other
players.
__________________
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts