Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
slashsteel

Member Number:
Default Re: trade out of 1st round for a 1st rounder next year

Suit good points, but I dont think Holmes will be available at 32. And that leaves us with Moss ? ? No thank you........
Old 04-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsteel
Suit good points, but I dont think Holmes will be available at 32. And that leaves us with Moss ? ? No thank you........
Re-read...I said if he makes it into mid-round 1, try and move up.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
won't drafting mangold just make signing to okobi to an extension pointless???

I agree. Unless Mangold can play other OL positions.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
I agree. Unless Mangold can play other OL positions.
Which makes the pick even more unlikely...why draft a guy to play out of position?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Heath Miller

When the Steelers spent a first round pick on Miller you have to believe that his catching ability had something to do with it.

Heath is not Mark Breuner. So when you look at our receiving core going into 2006 season I think you have to rope him into the mix. The passing game is going to rely heavily on Whiz being able to mix it up and take pressure off the wideouts (especially pending injuries) with the TE and the likes of Verron - he did have a few super-clutch catches last year.

It seems like the first round in next years draft will be deeper. And with Chukky getting the time to mature under Hartings a center in the first would be somewhat sideways. As Suit said why draft out of position with a first round pick.

I think they'll focus on project receivers/athletes with the plethora of mid-round drafts this year. And a successful running game next season would be a nice bridge into the future.

Last edited by Haiku_Dirtt; 04-14-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:01 AM   #16
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
so is there a wr there at #32 who would be able to step in and replace hines in the event of an injury? cause i agree that wr is probably our most glaring need. but with a trade of #32 we could possibly land a top 10-15 pick in next years draft to go along with our own #1 and address a top 1-3 wr then.

this is why i wanted e. moulds. sure hes old but so was jimmy smith 5 years ago.
Tony, im impressed. Now you are thinking like Belichick and Pioli! You hit on it exactly. Iff your guy isnt there at #32 and you feel whoever you pick isnt a good value at #32, you are much better off trading out to get a 10-15 next year. Thats how you keep your team strong for years. You might even be able to get the other team to throw in something for this year, like a 3rd or 4th rounder.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #17
tootalltoscore
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I don't know...but I'm guessing there's a better chance of one being there at #32 then there will be at #64. First I heard that Holmes MAY have trouble seperating at the next level, but he is an excellent route runner, and is explosive, although he lacks elite speed. He's also a good blocker. 53 catches for 977 yards and 11 TD's in the tough Big 10 is nothing to scoff at. 5'11" 180-190 is smallish compared to Randy Moss, but is gigantic compared to Steve Smith.

I'm definitely wary of Chad Jackson after reading up on him. Although he has good size (6'1" 213), and looks good statistically in the off-season, there are a lot of questions about his experience, ability to block, and his 10.2 YPC is AWFUL (I think I read somewhere that almost 600 WR's had a better average than him last year).

I think the position I'm taking is if Santonio lasts through the middle of round one, we should try to move up and grab him...but I'm still debating this decision.
Whilst I disagree with you Suit, if we accept that we desperately need a WR then I would rather we seek a trade for Ashley Lelie from denver who seem certain to get a WR in the first round.
As for Mangold he is capable of playing in 2 positions G and C and might be the BPA at our pick. I pray that he is taken earlier then we will not have the debate as to whether we should have taken him, if we do not. I would like to see us take Eslinger at bottom of round 3 myself and concentrate on either S or RB in Round 1.

I admit that I had previously suggested that we should take Mangold but realise now that RB/S is more urgent need. Darnell Bing is my hope - pun intended - replacement. I cannot see Lendale getting to us unless we trade up
tootalltoscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #18
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Mangold will be taken by the Jets....and why would we try to move a guy out of position, especially when it's not even close to an immediate need?

Is Lelie on our radar? He played in a crazy run and shoot June Jones offense in Hawaii, and has become a little better over the years at Denver, but is he the answer at WR for the Steelers?

Bing scares me...injuries and whatnot.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #19
BigSteelThrill
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
won't drafting mangold just make signing to okobi to an extension pointless???
No because you never know what will or wont be available at your picks in the draft. So you take care of things as best you can before the draft (like Clark from Was) and then if someone grades very very high and is available for you to select in the draft, you do it.

If Okobis signngs cost them a little bit of capspace and money for some insurance now... but the next Dermontti Dawson is available at your pick... you draft him. Im not saying what Mangold is or is not, just that you never know what is going to happen at the draft.

Also, they may have Lendale White/Sinorice Moss (or anyone) graded high enough to draft, but when their pick comes another teams offers them way to much value for the selection (like a 2nd this years and a 1st next year) and they have no choice but to possibly do it. Even if they had Sinorice Moss pegged all along.
BigSteelThrill is offline   Reply With Quote