Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,100 Posts
Default Steelers who got the Pro Bowl snub (Timmons)

yeah "the pro bowl sucks" and "the steelers wont be playing in it anyways" yada yada yada...

but we have a thread talking about those who made it. heres a thread to discuss the steelers who were snubbed. i think timmons snub is one of the worst in the entire league.

jarod mayo got it for nothing more than being on the team with the best record and doing nothing more than piling on and padding assist and tackle stats.

mayo- 1 sack. timmons-3
mayo- 0 passes defended. timmons-11
mayo- 0 int. timmons 2
mayo- 1 forced fumbles. timmons- 1
mayo- 3 fumble recoveries. timons- 2

timmons is the troy polamalu of linebackers on the best defense in the league.

mayo is ??? on a defense that is statistically in the bottom hald of the league.

4 patriot defenders made it. only 2 steelers.

im beginning to believe the pro bowl is the consolation prize for all the teams with the best record who lose the SB or never even make it.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: Steelers who got the Pro Bowl snub (Timmons)

I thought Ike Taylor had a very good season. Can't really argue against Revis and Asamoghua though.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Yeah, Mayo is average and Timmons has been a beast. Timmons has made a great impact this year. The snub I see is more of the league snubbing the entire Steelers organization than specific to an individual. The fines, the penalties (or lack there of) and going all the way back to forcing the brothers to sell their shares. Guess the NFL has decided a level playing field would just lead to more Lombardi trophies in the 'Burgh.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Doesn't Mayo almost have like 170 tackes? He averages more than 10 tackles a game..

The point I'm making is he's in on a lot of plays, so people notice him more than Timmons, who has gone games with only like 3 or 4 tackles.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Doesn't Mayo almost have like 170 tackes? He averages more than 10 tackles a game..

The point I'm making is he's in on a lot of plays, so people notice him more than Timmons, who has gone games with only like 3 or 4 tackles.
mayo- 110 solo/59 assists
timmons 87 solo/39 assists

basically mayo is a "pile on" guy who doesnt drop into coverage. their pass defense is 30th in the league. their rush defense is around 16th. 12 teams have a better scoring defense.

thats great he makes tackles 10 yards down field. someone has to. too bad nfl.com stats dont show tackles for loss. timmons blows him away there as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
mayo- 110 solo/59 assists
timmons 87 solo/39 assists

basically mayo is a "pile on" guy who doesnt drop into coverage. their pass defense is 30th in the league. their rush defense is around 16th. 12 teams have a better scoring defense.

thats great he makes tackles 10 yards down field. someone has to. too bad nfl.com stats dont show tackles for loss. timmons blows him away there as well.
He does drop into coverage.. just he's terrible at it. They play a cover 2 3-4, he never blitzes, he's usually 10-25 yards down the field in a zone. I've seen NFL.com tear him up on it before the Patriots beat the steelers, since then he's been a lot better at it, they're defense in general has been a lot better. So there's a chance he's gotten his votes in the past 5 games. Remember the voting system is rigged so fan votes only count for a 3rd, players, coaches and analysts make votes too, so he must be catching some professionals eyes with what he's doing.
He's probably making a lot of special touchdown saving tackles.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Problem with Timmons is that he plays great for 2 games, then virtually disappears the next game..and so on. With Harrison, Woodley and even Farrior getting the majority of media coverage, coupled with other teams star players, Timmons gets somewhat lost in the shuffle when you're talking all of the NFL. If he would be slightly more consistent, i think he might get the notoriety.
We see it here in Pittsburgh.....but as a whole on a nation-wide level, awareness of Timmons is a bit below the radar.
Congrats to Pouncey!! Thats awesome...what a good feeling as a rookie and at C, nonetheless...not exactly a high-profile position
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
He does drop into coverage.. just he's terrible at it. They play a cover 2 3-4, he never blitzes, he's usually 10-25 yards down the field in a zone.
i'll give you this...

on passing downs he WILL drop back into a zone (pretty much doing what every linebacker does). he also doesnt rush the passer because he sucks at it as well.

he's a pad the stat tackle guy (its not like their cb's are gonna tackle anyone).

timmons acually covers TE's RB's and even WR's. he also blitzes frequently.

FWIW timmons stats are better than ray lewis' as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

FWIW timmons stats are better than ray lewis' as well.[/QUOTE]

Sure are. But the Pro Bowl is basically a popularity contest and Ray Lewis dwarfs Timmons in that dept.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i'll give you this...

on passing downs he WILL drop back into a zone (pretty much doing what every linebacker does). he also doesnt rush the passer because he sucks at it as well.

he's a pad the stat tackle guy (its not like their cb's are gonna tackle anyone).

timmons acually covers TE's RB's and even WR's. he also blitzes frequently.

FWIW timmons stats are better than ray lewis' as well.
Not many middle linebackers can blitz. Timmons was an outside linebacker in college, but he played like Derrick Brooks, who was also not a great blitzer

(Timmons has so many sacks because of his speed, his rush moves aren't very good, he can't spin/swim/club/anything usefull once he's caught in a block)

Ray Lewis, best of the best isn't that great of a blitzer, he's known for everything but that. But Ray just makes that defense better when he's there, and its not because what he does during play, its what he does before the play begins. He makes the audibles and adjustments for that defense to do what it does. He's like the Peyton Manning of defenses.

I really haven't paid attention to Mayo, he may be very good. Everyone hates the patriots, so I doubt he's leading in votes because they're a good team. Maybe analysts drool over them enough to give him the votes he needs.