Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Crosby's Push for 100 Points

He's at 97 with three more games to go. He has two points tonight and it's the second period. If everything works out right, he would get his 100 points and we would lose these last three games in order to have a better chance at the #1 overall pick in the draft. He hits 100 he will be the youngest player ever to get 100 points.

Let's Go Sid!!!

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-13-2006 at 09:45 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts
Default Re: Crosby's Push for 100 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
He's at 95 with three more games to go. He has two points tonight and it's the second period. If everything works out right, he would get his 100 points and we would lose these last three games in order to have a better chance at the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Let's Go Sid!!!
what happened to the goalie drafted #1 several years back. does he still start or even play for the pens? i cant remember his name and forgot who he was.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Marc Andre Fleury. Yeah, he's still here. The Penguins are going to be sending him down to WBS/Scranton Baby Pens in order to play in their playoffs.

He's not coming along as much as we would like. His biggest problem is that he doesn't make the big/key saves when we need them. Has also has problems controlling his rebounds. Also keep in mind that our defense has sucked for 3/4 of this season. He still needs to get better. At times he makes unbelievable saves and shows signs of being a very, very good goalie. Overall, he's still a work in progress who I feel will get better over time and with a better defense.

It is my opinion that you never draft a goalie with the second pick overall in the draft. We could have had Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes) instead of Fleury at this point in time. While I would agree that you build a team around your goaltender, you don't take him with the second overall pick and passing up on a player like Eric Staal.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-13-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Update: Sidney Crosby now has 97 points. Kid had four points tonight, 1 goal and 3 assists. He is unbelievable.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-13-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

Could you imagine how bad we would of been without this kid?? I'll still take him over Ovechkin any day. This would be the first time two rookies have gotten to 100 right?
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
Could you imagine how bad we would of been without this kid?? I'll still take him over Ovechkin any day. This would be the first time two rookies have gotten to 100 right?
i must admit if it werent for crosby with the pens i would have no interrest in hockey whatsoever. especially after the suspended season. following the 2 cup seasons and jagr, and marios return was fun but after the goalie pick with #2 IT ALL WENT DOOWNHILL. i have a built in excuse though, as a southwestern desert rat we barely see ice, let alone people playing hockey on it.

i missed d. kasparitus once he left.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i must admit if it werent for crosby with the pens i would have no interrest in hockey whatsoever. especially after the suspended season. following the 2 cup seasons and jagr, and marios return was fun but after the goalie pick with #2 IT ALL WENT DOOWNHILL. i have a built in excuse though, as a southwestern desert rat we barely see ice, let alone people playing hockey on it.

i missed d. kasparitus once he left.
If anything, I started losing faith and love for hockey before the lock out. The best thing that ever happened to the game was that lock out. Something had to be done and I personally did not care how long it took them to make the league better. Watching teams such as the New York Rangers (AKA Yankees) and the Colorado Avalanche (AKA Boston Red Sox) blow mass quantities of money while teams such as the Penguins, Blackhawks, Buffalo Sabres and Nashville Predators (who have both clinched a playoff birth) were selling off players for nothing and were not able to compete in the old league, simply was not going to cut it and started to turn off many fans. Sound familiar? With the combination of the salary cap and the new rules, it's a great game.

Our problem this year once again.....Craig Patrick. His contract is up after this season and if he is resigned I will start to question purchasing season tickets for next season. In my opinion, the new owners will not keep Patrick around nor should they after this past season. The guy dropped the ball big time. The only reason why he has been here this long is because he's buddy/buddy with Lemieux. That's where a little of the blame (God forbid Lemieux takes heat in this city) could and should be placed for our current situation.

As for Darius Kasparaitis, he was a character. Played with high emotion, layed down some massive hits (Eric Lindros concussion still sticks out) but the guy had a very bad tendancy of taking horrible penalties and also taking himself out of play in order to make the big hit. Once he got to NYC that all changed. They basically stated that he either changes his game or he will be benched and on a few occasions they benched him until he got his act together.

And yes SteelerDan43, it will be the first time two rookies get 100 points or more in the same year. Speaks volumes about the amount of young talent in this league. Crosby, Ovechkin, Staal, Spezza, Malkin (soon enough), Lundquist...etc.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-14-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

We have the Islanders tonight on Long Island. We played these guys well this season and that scares me. We need to lose these three games. St. Louis currently has 56 points and we currently have 55 points. Let's get Sid his three points and lose these last three games.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

I believe if he gets it (and I think he will) he will be the youngest ever to do it. I think it was Hawerchuck who had 103 pts as an 18 yr old...but hes like 90 days older than Sid.

When we add Malkin next year..plus the #1 or #2 pick this year...with Fleury maturing...this team has an incredible nucleus. Patrick has to go..he was incredible in the 90's..but its time to move on...hindsight being what it is...leaning on Lemeiux, Palffy, Recchi, and Leclair was obviously a huge mistake.

I do hope they keep Therrian (sp?) as coach...he has a system...and the young players buy into it.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
I'll still take him over Ovechkin any day.
I agree. The most common comparison I have heard from opposing team players is that he reminds them of a young Peter Forsberg. He's the overall package. He does it all.