Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Is Goodell really this stupid?

This is where the Rooneys need to step up, and blast Goodell. Goodell will fine them. But they need to man up and protect their players more.

So Favre blocked, purposefully the investigation. NFL has proved that. As they fined him for that. IF he was innocent, would he have blocked the investigation?
So he is arguing that someone took his phone, snapped pictures of his frank and beans and than from his same phone, sent the picture to the "massuese",
Seriously, that is the story?lol

So this whole thing is not a voilation of the invisible NFL code of conduct for its players? Its ok boys to try to get a happy ending from the hot masseuse, lol Just please do not send pictures inferring it.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

This is pure bullshit! Rodger the Doger promised action on Favre before the end of the season. Waited till one game left and Favre may not play anyway. This is clearl a case of the punishment depends on who you are. Goodell needs to go. If the Rooneys don't speak up now I'll lose all respect for them!
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

I know my Twitter assault on Goodell and his PR people ultimately means nothing in the end, but if the Rooneys won't, I will!!
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
I know my Twitter assault on Goodell and his PR people ultimately means nothing in the end, but if the Rooneys won't, I will!!
I already asked Goodell to come on over to MySpace so I could Twitter all over his Facebook. No response yet.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
The worse part of this is that unless you're a Steelers fan you don't give a rats ass. That, my friends, is what makes it so easy to be unfair.
That isn't true. As a Raiders fan, and having my team be singled out, it seems, almost flagrantly by the NFL and the clowns in the stripes over the years, I can say that I'm not thrilled with the inconsistency in meeting out fines and punishments either.

Having said that, is anyone really surprised by this? It's Brett Favre. He's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Did you really think Goodell would come down that hard on him... in his last year... with one game left?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,098 Times in 488 Posts

Yeah but Favre is the Good ol' Boy who sells Wrangler jeans and all kinds of other stuff and has been touted as a living legend by all of the talking heads.

Brett and his reputation (much of which I personally believe is just Madison Avenue bullshit) means millions of dollars for sponsors and "Good Will" for the League and they won't risk their cash cow by suspending him.

After all, unlike a simple fine, a suspension implies that you really did something wrong and they DO NOT under any circumstances want the public to believe that "Saint Brett" is anything other than what the marketing machine has crafted him to be: A down home warrior who wears 'Murican-made jeans and drives a "Murican truck and plays through the pain and puts smiles on the faces of fans across the country.

Right now, the Good ol' Boy image is big in advertising and that image plays well for the NFL and it sells all of the crap that's tied to the "tough guy" image that the NFL and its fans are so in love with. To have Brett Favre (the prototypical Good ol' Boy) thought of as some kind of "Willy-Waver" would serve to throw that entire image (and its earning power) under one of the many six-wheeled manhood compensators John Goodman tells us we need to own every three minutes during a typical football telecast and that "America's Hero" is just a dirty old man.

There is simply no way that the League or the image makers are going to let that happen.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
That isn't true. As a Raiders fan, and having my team be singled out, it seems, almost flagrantly by the NFL and the clowns in the stripes over the years, I can say that I'm not thrilled with the inconsistency in meeting out fines and punishments either.

Having said that, is anyone really surprised by this? It's Brett Favre. He's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Did you really think Goodell would come down that hard on him... in his last year?
It doesn't matter if it's Favre, Ben or another player. The NFL Code of Conduct applies to all players, irrespective of the length of their career and their achievements.
Goodell has lost all credibility in my eyes.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
It doesn't matter if it's Favre, Ben or another player. The NFL Code of Conduct applies to all players, irrespective of the length of their career and their achievements.
well said. I understand being one of the leagues "merchandise and good will cash cow" thing....but, i mean, friggin' Jerry Rice (for an example), didn't go out in his last year and advertise as a happily married man, which Favre himself has done, then send dirty text messages and pictures to cheerleaders and invite them up to his room. At least that we know about lol
If you do the crime (or misconduct as the league itself likes to say), then you do the time.....regardless
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Goodell lost credibilty a long time ago; this decision wasn't what did it.

Of course the code of conduct should apply equally across the board. But, as the poster above pointed out, in this case, there was no way that was going to happen, for the reasons he cited.

If you or any other Steelers fans thought different, you just set yourselve's up for disappointment. This kind of thing happens everyday around the world in some capacity or another. It's not fair or right, but it's the reality of the world today.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

pure and simple- goodell used ben and harrison to make examples of. after that he he didnt need to make exaples of anyone else.

it was a bunch of tough talk he is too spineless to follow up on. he realized he bit off more than he can chew.
What it shows is that Goodell and his Park Avenue crew consistently do what they think is the smart short term PR move - the latest example was guessing the league might get grief if there were weather related problems leaving the Eagles game Sunday night and deciding at noon to postpone the game. That overreaction blew up on them, with Ed Rendell leading the charge

The owners will not can Goodell with the contract negotiations going on but there has to be a group of owners wondering how long this make it up as you go along management style should be rewarded
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote