Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pouncey adds to his rookie season accolades

Pouncey adds to his rookie season accolades
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_715841.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 30, 2010

Perhaps the first of the many challenges Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler has issued to prized rookie Maurkice Pouncey came last May.

The newly drafted players were at an alumni dinner during minicamp, and Kugler told Pouncey that he expected him to win the award that is given annually to the Steelers' top rookie.

Pouncey obliged the coach he credits for his rapid development as he was presented with the Joe Greene Award after practice Wednesday.

Pouncey, the 18th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, has started all 15 games at center and was a unanimous pick for the award that is named after arguably the greatest player in Steelers history.

The 6-foot-4, 304-pounder has stood out in what has been a strong rookie class both for the Steelers and the NFL and Tuesday, he made the Pro Bowl.

"It's going great," said Pouncey of the week he has been having. "It really is a proud moment for me right now, but I'd give it all away for the Super Bowl."

The Steelers initially planned to play Pouncey at guard before moving him to center.

But they made the switch during training camp, and Pouncey has since done nothing to discourage the notion that he is the next in a long line of great Steelers centers.

Included in the group of standouts that the Steelers have had are Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Webster and Dermontti Dawson.

Dawson is a semifinalist for the 2011 Class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"I'm nowhere near where those guys are," Pouncey said. "I'm just trying to keep up with their level. I text with Dermontti back and forth, and he gives me little things to think about."

digits

36: Rushing yards Peyton Hillis needs to become the sixth player in Browns history to run for at least 1,200 yards in a season

96.2: Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's career passer rating against the Browns

quotable

"The night before the game, I had him speak a little bit, and he said that the guys could count on him and he was going to play well, and it wasn't bravado, it wasn't him trying to convince us of that, it was sincere. Each week we've been able to give him more and build on his experience, build on the game plans he's executed, and there's been real progress."

Browns coach Eric Mangini, on rookie quarterback Colt McCoy making his NFL debut against the Steelers on Oct. 17.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Pouncey adds to his rookie season accolades

im glad Pouncy is doing so well and if we could i would sign him to a 10 year contract before his price gets any higher. he is the one bright spot on our line and hopefully we can build up with him as the anchor. seeing him do so well really makes me want the steelers to draft his brother. we are in dire need of an upgrade to our guard position and im sure they would have great chemistry and play great together
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,048 Times in 883 Posts
Default Re: Pouncey adds to his rookie season accolades

If we could clone Pouncey four times and create 2 guards and 2 tackles in his image, the only thing I'd be worried about would be scoring good seats at the Super Bowl so I could get a close up look at Rooney's face when they hand him his seventh Lombardi.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote