Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default Cribbs, Browns plan on knocking out title plans for Steelers, Harrison

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 04:52 p.m. EST, Dec 29, 2010

BEREA: If the Browns have their way, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison's homecoming will be spoiled when he returns to Northeast Ohio on Sunday.

Harrison, an Akron native, knocked wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi out of the Steelers' 28-10 win over the Browns on Oct. 17 at Heinz Field. Both players left the game in the second quarter after suffering concussions at the hands — or helmet — of Harrison.

Now the Browns (5-10) are hoping to play the role of a spoiler against the Steelers (11-4), who can capture the AFC North title and a first-round postseason bye with a win in the regular-season finale at Cleveland Browns Stadium. The Browns insist their rivalry with the Steelers is as intense as ever, and Harrison's hits have certainly added some fuel to the fire.

''You won't see it right now, but when the lights come on, you'll see a lot of pissed-off guys,'' Cribbs said Wednesday. ''We've got to practice good this week and show that we can win the football game.

''This will be our one ticket to be forgiven from our fans for the disappointing season that we had. We're gonna give it our best. They're gonna come with their best, and we're at our home, so we've gotta put [out] the best showing of the year.''

Harrison's devastating blows to Cribbs and Massaquoi, along with a few other vicious collisions throughout the league during Week 6, sparked widespread debate about the safety of players. The NFL announced it would begin cracking down on dangerous and flagrant hits by levying substantial fines and even suspensions. The league also sent videos to teams, outlining the differences between legal and illegal hits.

Just about everyone involved questioned whether professional football would be changed forever.

''I still don't think we have an answer to that,'' Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. ''I think those answers are long-term answers, particularly when you're talking about it from an initiative standpoint, in terms of what the league is trying to get done from a long-term standpoint. I think those are only going to be measured over an extended period of time — and I'm talking years because what we're talking about is changing the nature in which people play and see the game of football.''

Although Harrison was not penalized for his hits against the Browns, the league fined him $75,000. In response to the controversy, Harrison said he contemplated retirement. Cribbs, who was Harrison's teammate during their days at Kent State University, defended Harrison, encouraged him not to alter his style and said he believed he was instrumental in dissuading Harrison from cutting his career short.

However, Cribbs also said he couldn't wait to hit Harrison back. When asked Wednesday if he still wants retribution, Cribbs said, ''Of course, but I'm not gonna talk about it. I'm gonna do my talking on the field.''

Some believe Harrison has adjusted his techniques since Week 6. He has accumulated $125,000 in fines for four separate infractions this season.

''He's still trying to hit people the same way he has been, but maybe he's trying to lower his target and not hit guys in the head quite as much,'' said Browns left tackle Joe Thomas, who, like Harrison, recently received his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl selection. ''The NFL tried to send him a message, and it seems like he got it.''

In the aftermath of Harrison's hits, Cribbs missed two days of practice but played the next week against the New Orleans Saints. Massaquoi, though, missed one game before returning Nov. 7 against the New England Patriots.

On Wednesday, Massaquoi declined to answer questions about Harrison, but he said the rivalry between the Browns and the Steelers remains bitter. The Steelers have prevailed in 13 of the past 14 meetings, though the Browns pulled a 13-6 upset last season in Week 14.

''It's Pittsburgh. I don't know how else to put it,'' Massaquoi said. ''It's not like we're good friends. It's not like there's good blood between the two teams.''

http://tinyurl.com/33nwpz7 Basically, Cribbs wants revenge
Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251
Default Re: Cribbs, Browns plan on knocking out title plans for Steelers, Harrison

we have got to win this game..........must win!
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Diamond-D
Water Boy

Member Number: 17576
Default Re: Cribbs, Browns plan on knocking out title plans for Steelers, Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserei90 View Post
''This will be our one ticket to be forgiven from our fans for the disappointing season that we had."
That is such a sad statement to make. Pathetic really.

We better not lose to them.
Diamond-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I hope the team is listening to this crap. And I hope it fires them up even more! I agree, we better not lose to them!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

you bet your ass they're psyched up to beat us.
Hell, they still believe they are our #1 nemesis. Sorry pathetic Browns...its the Raven's now.
We've got to play hard and very physical Sunday...They will definitely be trying their hardest to take us out.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,469 Times in 2,748 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i hope cribbs gets curb stomped by harrison again
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,267 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersgrrl View Post
It seems that we have a habit of playing down to our competition. Hopefully this news will fire em up so we can trash the Stains and secure a 2 seed and a much-needed 1st round bye!
As much as I hate to admit it, you're absolutely right. (love the avatar, BTW!)

We DO INDEED have a habit of playing down to our competition (or at least not taking them seriously enough) and that has to stop.

For those who don't believe that, just think about how you'd be looking at a game like this if it was New England playing the Browns instead of us. Is there a person alive who would even remotely consider the notion that the Pats would lose a game like this?

Hell no.

Most people would simply pencil in the Patsies by at least two touchdowns and move on to the next pick.

But here I read a lot of hand-wringing posts about how we "need" this game or that we "have to" win this game and so on. Why is that? We should all be looking at this game as the formality it's supposed to be and yet I'll bet that better than 80% of the guys on this board are worried about it on some level.

There has to be a reason for that.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,267 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersgrrl View Post
There IS a reason, FanSince ... My husband says you can see within the first series whether the Steelers are pumped for the game by watching who is controlling the line of scrimmage. We've dismantled teams that are every bit as talented as ours, yet have blown easy wins to teams not half as talented because of that factor alone.

Let's hope they take care of business this Sunday!

Either your husband and I have met before or he's somehow heard some of my conversations because that's exactly the way I look at this team. I tell my friends that all I need to see is how we play the first series or two and I can tell you what kind of game it's going to be and whether or not it will be a good day or a long and disappointing day.

As far as "taking care of business goes", if we don't, then we have no business being in the playoffs.

Period.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

You have to be concerned about every game you play. Doesn't matter who. In the NFL every once in awhile the bottom feeders will rise up for a game or two and smack someone down. Don't forget this team beat a couple of quality opponents and took some others to the wire this year so it is not like they are not capable. I don't think they are capable of beating us but strange things happen. If the STs are not ready when the game starts we could see another run back on the kickoff from Cribbs. Those kinds of plays turn games in the favor of lesser teams. But I think the Steelers will be ready to knock the ****iness right out of the Clowns.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Bubbabanjo
Banned

Member Number: 15711

Browns are skid marks.
Bubbabanjo is offline   Reply With Quote